GEM 07 3 night charter w/Captain Tomeny October 7th-10th, 2007

Discussion in 'Boat Pooling' started by TOO, Jun 1, 2007.

1. TOO

TOO Senior member

Hi folks, this post is a request of an experienced offshore fishermen that is trying to set up a GEM 07 trip with Captain Tomeny out of Port Fourchan, LA.

The dates of the trip are Sunday October 7th- Wednesday October 10th, 2007.
    We have been instructed to inquire about moving the charter to Friday October 5th to Monday October 8th, as well as increase the number of fishermen to 12 to lower the cost per person
    This 3 night period is going into the new moon that occurs on the 11th of October.
    The estimated cost will be around $1,350 for 10 fishermen and $1,058 for 12 fishermen and that includes the following:

1. Fuel cost up to $2.25-$2.30 a gallon, (currently fuel is costing Captain Tomeny about $2.05, but that can change as you know),
    2. A 15% gratuity (in the past 7.5% up front and the balance paid after the trip depending on the service)
    3. Our fee to keep everyone in line and in order so there are no surprises on costs at the end of the trip

The only things not included are the license costs ($15), lodging before and after the trip, and food. Additional gratuity above the amount of 7.5% is up to the indivdual depending on his experience after the charter.

We can arrange for food to be on board, or other options, when folks get there, but that issue will wait until the trip is secured.

The idea is to have the GEM style trip occur for 2007 for 10-12 people as in the past. Currently, there are 4 people on this trip, and 3 people trying to clear their schedules to mak the trip. The GEM 06 group was very happy with Captain Tomeny's effort and the charter chief hopes that 10 people can and will commit to chance to fish the Green's Canyon area and other deep rigs in Ocotber for tuna, and then grouper, snapper, AJ's, etc during the day.

There is no reservation or limit on how to fish, chunking, topwaters, jigging, etc, all are fully acceptable.

If you are interested in this charter, please email at [email protected] or PM or call (210)215-3877 and we'll discuss the particulars.

2. gman

gman Senior Member

im interested

3. bighead

bighead Senior Member

gman, please feel free to call me @ 214-733-7691 or Willie at the # above to talk about this trip. You can also post your questions in this thread as many past GEM trip participants hang out here. Great Capt., great crew, great fishery! This is a great trip in the making. Bert

4. gman

gman Senior Member

OK, Im pretty easy...

What type of boat?
    Who is on the trip already?
    Does the capatin havea site?
    Do you have a link of the post on the last trip?
    Basic overview of schedule...running time, fishing time etc

5. bighead

bighead Senior Member

gman, here's a link to view Tomeny's boat's:

Untitled Document

The Carribean Sea is a 65' walk around design with an open bow good for casting poppers and surface iron. The stern has large fish boxes but plenty of room and was popular for jigging and chunking. The cabin is fairly basic but had plenty of seating, a large pantry area for food storage, a stove top, and a micro. There was a grill outside. Bunks were below deck as was the shower. I think the GEM 06 crew were pretty satisfied with the boat.

Here a link to the Captain's homepage:

Untitled Document

Here's a link to Deep_Sea_Gull's and Ragman's GEM 06 reports:

FishCraze.com ::

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f4/report-gem-2006-port-fourchon-la-445/

A quick run down of the schedule would be to depart Sunday morning and run all day to Green's Canyon with maybe a stop to make bait or a little trolling. Fish tuna on the floaters all night and run inshore a bit to some AJ/Grouper/Snapper spots in the morning. Repeat the following two days with plenty of time to try new techniques/tackle and do some exploring for new spots or ??? Depart the fishing grounds Wednesday morning to return to shore. There will be flexibilty so that the crew can decide what they would like to do. Maybe a night for swords or ?

I'm excited to get this trip put together and hope it's as appealing to you as it is to me. Bert

6. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

7. bighead

bighead Senior Member

Thanks for keeping me straight Tony! Only a couple weeks till your trip with Tomeny I see. Can't wait to hear a report and see the pics. Bert

8. gman

gman Senior Member

Im in for 1, I would like to take my boy but he will be in football season and were leaving for Cabo chasing Marlin the end of October

9. bighead

bighead Senior Member

Very cool gman!!! I'll be glad to fish with you. Are you a jigger guy, popper guy, or ? I've still got jigs and flying fish from last year waiting to be broken in. Bert

10. gman

gman Senior Member

In my gut that is. I am a mixed breed, Ive always been a bait guy. BIG sharks, tuna etc. However This year I started jigging hard. I live in New Jersey but my company is located in Houston so I fish alot of of POC.

I will jig, pop and dunk bait anything to get my rod bent at the time. Just upgraded all my gear this year so I will be well armed. Cant wait

11. gman

gman Senior Member

My son and I are chasing Bluefin and big eye tunas on Sunday out of Ocea City, MD. Hopefully I will have a great report

12. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Well I gues the term 'be careful what you wish for' could be stuck to me right here.

a couples months back when I had no job and no way of financing this trip, i was so ready to jump on a trip like this.

now Im just not sure.....so to straighten things out a little for me.

pleas be honest, because i think i kno the answer to this. does a 16yr old kid with a spinning setup, a jigging setup, and a tld 25 nd a sld 20 even belong on a trip like this laiden with old timers and $2000 setups?

Thanks alot, its pretty much either a trip like this or a Laser.

Kevin

13. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Success in life is recognizing opportunities and taking advantage of them. or

No guts no Glory!

Go for it and show em what your made of!

14. bighead

bighead Senior Member

Old timers??? Don't make me take off my belt son. Seriously, I'll never discourage a young man from pursuing his dreams. My boys are your age and I want them to believe that anything they want is within their reach if they are willing to work hard and sacrifice to get it. You may have to get resourceful to make this work out for you. The cost of the trip and tackle are not the only challenges. Is the Capt. willing to take someone your age without a parent? How will you get to the boat and back? How will you gain the confidence of your crew mates? I think all of this can be overcome. Wages can be earned, tackle can be borrowed from the boat or other fishermen, perhaps a family member or adult friend could be talked into going along with you. I guess it comes down to how bad you want it. I'd encourage you to talk to TOO about your interest and ask his opinion. If this is not workable for you remember you have a lot of fishing years and charters ahead of you. Now about the laser, are you talking about strapping one on a sharks head or the crappy import car? Bert

15. bighead

bighead Senior Member

gman, I hope you took your camera. Can't wait to see the report on this trip!

16. gman

gman Senior Member

Age brings experience which doesnt always translate into fish. Im only 35 and my 11 year old has more big fish under his belt than most grown men so age doesnt mean squat.

I just got news that Pelagic Offshore gear has added my son to thier pro team, he is the first junior angler ever to be added, they are sponsering him at 2 major shark tournies this summer. Ill post seperately later and yes we are bringing the cameras

forecast is 4-7's 100 miles offshore ughhhh, captain says were going 60ft viking

17. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Old timers??? Don't make me take off my belt son. Seriously, I'll never discourage a young man from pursuing his dreams. My boys are your age and I want them to believe that anything they want is within their reach if they are willing to work hard and sacrifice to get it. You may have to get resourceful to make this work out for you. The cost of the trip and tackle are not the only challenges. Is the Capt. willing to take someone your age without a parent? How will you get to the boat and back? How will you gain the confidence of your crew mates? I think all of this can be overcome. Wages can be earned, tackle can be borrowed from the boat or other fishermen, perhaps a family member or adult friend could be talked into going along with you. I guess it comes down to how bad you want it. I'd encourage you to talk to TOO about your interest and ask his opinion. If this is not workable for you remember you have a lot of fishing years and charters ahead of you. Now about the laser, are you talking about strapping one on a sharks head or the crappy import car? Bert
    Haha, the sailboat....and how does one get on the pelagic pro team, just wondering enquiring minds would like to know.
    Your son sounds like one heck of a fisherman gman.

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I am tempted to join the trip though I have a trip to Green Canyon within two weeks. :)
    But I have to stay in our area as September and Oct is in prime tuna season in our area. Big bluefin in 150 - 300 lbs usually show at Hudson canyon around 7 -10, Ocotober every year and I can not miss the opportunity.
    Good luck guys.

19. bighead

bighead Senior Member

Good luck on the jigging and popping trip and on the big bluefin in the fall Kil. One of these days I'll get a chance to fish with you I hope. Please point anyone in your forum this way if they say they want a Tomeny trip. Perhaps I should make a GEM post over there. bert

20. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Bert,
    There is a Charter forum on Noreast.com which is designated for solely charters among members. It is very popular among members and I met many other members through the trips. You could post about your trip after you join the site. Any member can organize a fishing trip and post it.

But one of the problem is the price. They organize a three night/four day tuna/tile fishing trip on the 140 ft Viking out of Montauk, NY, which is very similar to the Carribean Sea trip and it cost only $600 each for 20 guys even they travel upto 200 miles. There is no fuel surcharge.
    I guess we have more competition among boats than your areas.