Gear Suggestions 3day Trip san diego, CA

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by TK_82, Apr 30, 2009.

1. TK_82

TK_82 Senior Member

Im planning on doing a three day trip out of san diego, Ca. This will be my first mini long range trip just need some suggestions on rod and reel combo both spin and conv. Do i need a 2 speed or is a single speed sufficient?

2. deadsea

deadsea Member

For 5 days and more I bring Accurates 2 speed reels.
    This time of the year you don't need 2 speed reels. For 3 day trip I use Saltigas (30, 30T, 40) and they work just fine. ;)

3. shooter75

shooter75 Member

IMO I would only use the new 2009 Zebco Snoopy or Sponge Bob reel and rod combo!!! Those 150lb YFT won't stand a chance!!!!

4. TK_82

TK_82 Senior Member

lolz..eric u fawkin crack me up doode!!! i was thinkin of the barbie instead...i think the snoopy or sponge bob mite a little heavy...

5. shooter75

shooter75 Member

The backbone on those rods are unreal!!!!! OTI has nothing on these rods!!!!

6. TK_82

TK_82 Senior Member

For 5 days and more I bring Accurates 2 speed reels.
    This time of the year you don't need 2 speed reels. For 3 day trip I use Saltigas (30, 30T, 40) and they work just fine. ;)
    i was thinking of getting the tld 20 or 30 u think that will be fine?

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

40 - 50 lbs line reels are good enough for the trip. I went 4 day trip out of San Diego years 20 years ago and I lifted all tuna I caught. In fact, all tuna caught were on small jigs by casting.

8. Tunanorth

Tunanorth Senior Member

Assume you are going out in July or August?
    Here's what you need:
    1. 20/25 pound outfit- Go for 20 if live bait is small or bite is all albacore; this combo will get the most use for those situations.
    2. 30-pound outfit- Will probably get the most use, for medium live baits and when fish are running 25 to 40 pounds.
    3. 40-pound outfit- Your go-to live bait outfit for 35 to 75 pound fish; bring an extra [separate] one if you like jigging.
    4. 50/60 pound outfit- Should be a 2-speed, for when the tuna are on a feeding binge or are regularly running larger than 75 pounds.
    5. 80 pound outfit- Trolling only; Use the boat's free loaners and save money!
    There are lots of "what ifs" and exceptions, but that gives you a basic idea.
    I ran a tackle store on Point Loma outfitting San Diego trips for over 25 years.

9. TK_82

TK_82 Senior Member

Assume you are going out in July or August?
    Here's what you need:
    1. 20/25 pound outfit- Go for 20 if live bait is small or bite is all albacore; this combo will get the most use for those situations.
    2. 30-pound outfit- Will probably get the most use, for medium live baits and when fish are running 25 to 40 pounds.
    3. 40-pound outfit- Your go-to live bait outfit for 35 to 75 pound fish; bring an extra [separate] one if you like jigging.
    4. 50/60 pound outfit- Should be a 2-speed, for when the tuna are on a feeding binge or are regularly running larger than 75 pounds.
    5. 80 pound outfit- Trolling only; Use the boat's free loaners and save money!
    There are lots of "what ifs" and exceptions, but that gives you a basic idea.
    I ran a tackle store on Point Loma outfitting San Diego trips for over 25 years.
    as a matter of fact i am planning on goin in august. i have some irons and jigs to play with but as far as live bait hooks i have some 2/0 owner flyliners and some 4/0 mutus do i need n/e other sizes?

10. Tunanorth

Tunanorth Senior Member

Although anchovies are not always in the bait tank, they are preferred bait for albacore, so have some Owner #2 Flyliners, or I especially like the new Owner "Gorilla Lights".
    Also have some 1/0's for picky albacore on smaller live sardines using the 20 or 25 pound line [yes it matters from 2/0!]
    The 4/0 Mutus [NOT Super Mutus] are perfect most of the time for the 40 pound line, but if you have trouble with circle hooks, just go with "Ringed" 4/0 Owner Gorillas.

11. TK_82

TK_82 Senior Member

awesome! thanx for the tip tunanorth. will do. trouble with circle hooks? do u mean on the hookup?

12. deadsea

deadsea Member

i was thinking of getting the tld 20 or 30 u think that will be fine?
    Sure
    As Tunanorth said, 30-40 pound outfit get the most use.
    BTW, I use Gamakatsu 2/0, 3/0, 4/0 live bait with ring hooks and Owner SSW style circle hooks most of the time.

13. Tunanorth

Tunanorth Senior Member

Well, some people simply can't resist setting the hook "just a little bit" with circle hooks, and that is a big no-no.
    Assuming that you have your hook-setting reflexes under control, it shouldn't be an issue!

14. TK_82

TK_82 Senior Member

haha...i hear u on that...i use circle hooks from time to time fishin inshore so i think for the most part i can refrain myself from setting the hook...that is, if i dont 4get i have a circle hook on it. deadsea n tun north i appreciate ur input thanx. now to look for a TLD for sale...

15. rance

rance Senior Member

Go to american legacy fishing store on ebay. They have all shimono reels, and offer a buy now price and or best offer. Use best offer. I just bought a new saragosa 18000 F from them for $260.00, and a TLD 5011 LSRA for $360.00 Fourty dollars off + no taxes is a 60 to 70 dollar savings on each reel. They are an ebay store, but they also have an actual 5000 square foot store, and are an official shimono dealer. They have the TLD 2 speeds and also the smaller TLD single speeds. I,m not trying to sell reels for them, just letting you know where you can get a good deal.

16. TK_82

TK_82 Senior Member

Go to american legacy fishing store on ebay. They have all shimono reels, and offer a buy now price and or best offer. Use best offer. I just bought a new saragosa 18000 F from them for $260.00, and a TLD 5011 LSRA for $360.00 Fourty dollars off + no taxes is a 60 to 70 dollar savings on each reel. They are an ebay store, but they also have an actual 5000 square foot store, and are an official shimono dealer. They have the TLD 2 speeds and also the smaller TLD single speeds. I,m not trying to sell reels for them, just letting you know where you can get a good deal.
    thats an awesome deal thanx man. i'll go check it out..