Gear ratio for jigging

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by simpleman, Mar 29, 2009.

1. simpleman

simpleman Junior member

I have been addictive to jigging for 3 year now. Jigging is the only type of fishing I do. I own 3 Torsa’s and have been very successful with them. Yet, I have read on here that they might not be the best reel for jigging. I just got Saragosa 18000, but haven’t got to get her wet yet.
    My question is, why do some recommend a low gear for jigging? I was under the impression that the harder and faster you worked the jig the more hook-ups you should get. If this is so, then wouldn’t a low gear slow down the action? If someone could explained why I would be better off with a ratio of 4.5:1 verse a 6:1, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

2. bulllred

bulllred Senior Member

I like the higher gear when jigging. Less cranking when you have 100-200 yards of line out.

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I have been addictive to jigging for 3 year now. Jigging is the only type of fishing I do. I own 3 Torsa’s and have been very successful with them. Yet, I have read on here that they might not be the best reel for jigging. I just got Saragosa 18000, but haven’t got to get her wet yet.
    My question is, why do some recommend a low gear for jigging? I was under the impression that the harder and faster you worked the jig the more hook-ups you should get. If this is so, then wouldn’t a low gear slow down the action? If someone could explained why I would be better off with a ratio of 4.5:1 verse a 6:1, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Its easier on you to jig all day with a 300+ gram jig with the lower gear ratio. If you have noticed in the Torsa's, when you get into the 40 size the ratio goes down.

d-a

4. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

its harder to pedal a bike all day in the highest gears. it nicer to crank away with a lower ratio. you still go plenty fast, just work less. not the best analogy but i think it makes sense.
    i think the newer reels like the torsa are plenty strong and have plenty of torque but are just more work to use all day with heavier jigs.

5. papio

papio Senior Member

4.5:1 is more than enough speed for speed jigging. Taiwan anglers use the fast intense jigging style for kingies because that's what the fish go for, and yet they still have the crsanking power of a 4.9: gear ratio.

Depending on what fish you're after not all jigging is about speed. If you like Amberjack hookups and want to bring them over the rails, a 4.5:1 gear ratio is perfect. I use my 6:1 BC once and it was enough - been sitting in closet for few years now.

6. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Forget gear ratio. The amout of line taken in with each turn of the reel handle is what counts. Speed if fine for some fish and a turn off for others.
    Presentation is the key.

7. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

I take it the Penn Torue 200 is out of the question then? Even with the "supposed" high cranking/torque ability. I think I would like to own one anyway since they are made in Philly and I am a phillyboy :)

Ty

8. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Forget about speed it is about raw cranking power. The higher the retrieve the lower the cranking power, the lower the retrieve the more raw cranking power you have. I jigged with a Torium for a year and caught tons of fish, so the Torsa will work just fine, you just loose a little when cranking up a big fish.

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It is believed that we need to crank fast to get attention from AJ or yellowtail. but when JM guys say 4.5:1 gear ratio is optimal for AJ, there is no advantage of 6:1 gear ratio reel for any fish.
    I brought Penn Torque200 for kingfish( yellowtail) jigging to Three Kings Island, NZ believing higer gear ratio reel is much better for kingfish, but I didn't see any advantage as other fishermen who used Saltiga or OC Jiggers did as well I did.

The difference of cranking power between 6:1 and 4:1 is enormous.
    I tested high gear ratio Trinidad and Saltiga side by side for cod jigging and Saltiga is so much easier to reel in.
    4:1 - 4.9:1 is a good compromise bewteen speeed and cranking power. It is no wonder Saltiga 40/50 and OJ 4000P are popular among jig fishermen.