Gear Evaluation

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by fman, Feb 3, 2009.

1. fman

fman Guest

I would like for you all to check out my gear and tell me your recommendations on what to use them for. Obviously I have already purchased these so it their is no turning back. Hopefully working with these while I am learning will help be appreciate better gear in the future.

I bought the first outfit at a proshop in Florida before I knew much about jigging hence the Torium 20. The only thing the sales person couldn't sell me on was the shimano rod. I haven't read any negative about the Penn torque rod but I realize it isn't one of the popular ones.

Outfit 1 Conventional-
    Rod-Penn Torque 5'8" 80-130lb 300g rod
    Reel- Shimano Torium 20
    Line- Stren Green 65lb braid
    Leader- 10 turns of 80lb mono

The second outfit I purchased is after reading the boards for many months. Still it isn't the best but it was the best I could afford from the "bang for the buck" catagory.

Outfit 2 Spinning-
    Rod- Hopper Custom 5'8" 100-200lb 500g
    Reel- Shimano Spheros 14000FA w/drag upgrade
    Line- Power Pro 65lb Hi-vis yellow braid
    Leader- 80lb Yo Zuri HD Pink Flurocarbon

1. Should I target different species with each setup based on their limitations or could both handle about the same types and weights of common reef/wreck fish?

2. Should I relegate the Torium outfit to "light" duty smaller fish because of the drag/anti-reverse limitations?

3. The "official" stats of the Spheros rates it for 44lb max drag. With my carbonex drag could I comfortably use 25lb?

4. I read that a lot of the fisherman on this board do not like Power Pro. Please school me on why it is a problem. What do I need to buy next time?

5. My first trip will be on a party boat. I want the setup to be stout enough to have fun but not bother too much the other people. Should I the stronger of the two setups over the other because of that?

My questions are not based on experience only what I have read. Both setups have yet to hit the water for the first time. I will get my first chance at jigging later this month. Thank all for helping me through the learning process!!

2. gman

gman Senior Member

wasnt this post somewhere else on the site

3. fman

fman Guest

Gman- If a similar question was posted here it wasn't by me. I have posted a similar question on another popular board but just looking for a variety of opinions.

4. papio

papio Senior Member

The equipment u got will have to do for now. The Hopper/Spheros is a great starter combo. I don't fish much on P/Bs anymore but when I occassionaly do, I always use my Hopper and supposedly inferior reels and they work great.

Never used a Penn Torque but saw one shatter by a customer on a mild test bend - so never cared for it. I think most has tried Power Pro at one time. I've had no problems with it but after reading negative reports, I don't use them anymore. IMO, Tuffline should be the minimum standard.

5. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

I used PowerPro braid before (lucky no break off) but once I switch to Suffix, JB, Daiwa Samurai, Daiwa Boat Braid - I gave away all my PowerPro braid.

6. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

The Torium 20 will handle some pretty big fish provided you don't have to max out or lock down the drag. If you catch big fish close to big relief then you will be in big trouble, because mister big will leave you heart broken. He is going to take you to the cleaners. The Spheros on the other hand will not leave you stranded, it can handle pretty much what you will run into where you are currently fishing. I have had so many priblems with jigging and Power Pro that if they offered to give me a lifetime supply provided I would use it I would turn them down. I use Tuf-Line XP and Jerry Brown solid.

7. fman

fman Guest

The Torium 20 will handle some pretty big fish provided you don't have to max out or lock down the drag. If you catch big fish close to big relief then you will be in big trouble, because mister big will leave you heart broken. He is going to take you to the cleaners. The Spheros on the other hand will not leave you stranded, it can handle pretty much what you will run into where you are currently fishing. I have had so many priblems with jigging and Power Pro that if they offered to give me a lifetime supply provided I would use it I would turn them down. I use Tuf-Line XP and Jerry Brown solid.

Hey Spiney- Does the Power pro break easily or what was the problems that it caused you?

I will take a look at the Tuf-Line XP an Jerry Brown also.

8. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Hey Spiney- Does the Power pro break easily or what was the problems that it caused you?

I will take a look at the Tuf-Line XP an Jerry Brown also.

The only thing I can think of is it breaks on the whip cycle. Most of the time it will break just past the tip of your rod and 100 or so feet or whatever depth of waters wort of line is lost and the jig also. I have lost at least a dozen Shimano jigs at about $ 29 dollars apiece rigged. That dog won't hunt. They will send you a new spool if you complain but they won't replace the multitude of jigs and rigs you loose, so it costs you big time in the long run.

9. fman

fman Guest

The only thing I can think of is it breaks on the whip cycle. Most of the time it will break just past the tip of your rod and 100 or so feet or whatever depth of waters wort of line is lost and the jig also. I have lost at least a dozen Shimano jigs at about $ 29 dollars apiece rigged. That dog won't hunt. They will send you a new spool if you complain but they won't replace the multitude of jigs and rigs you loose, so it costs you big time in the long run.

Come to think about it I may have had the same problem last trip. Tell me if this sounds possible:

Last trip I had my Penn 6/0 spooled with Power Pro 100lb. and 130lb mono leader. I had at least 2 occasions where I had a powerful hit of a fish and just as the fish hit and the line doubled for a few seconds, the line broke. It could have been the knot but I doubt it because the line seems as if it was cut with a razor with out much of a struggle.

10. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I have had that happen a dozen or so times also. Lost some monster grouper that way. PP=GARBAGE

11. Ricky-Ray

Ricky-Ray Member

I've used power pro once and didn't like it. It had that waxy coating on there and after several cast the coating would tend to clump up. After I got back from that trip I stipped it off and put Izor spectra on there and haven't had any problems since. Now almost all my reels have Izor spectra on there and haven't had any problems with any of my reels.

12. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Absolutely, if the people that even think they like PP would try a good braid they would never look back. What sells PP is their agressive advertising program, certainly not its quality.

13. fman

fman Guest

Well all of this info has helped me greatly. I am now debating between the Jerry Brown solid or hollow core lines.

The hollow core sounds interesting because of the ability to create a seamless splice to your leader. My only concern is trying to do that properly on a boat an with limited time if you loose your rig several times. Tying a knot seems quicker.

14. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I thought seriously about that and decided it was easier for me to tie a spider hitch and albright with a 3 turn uni lock then to thread 5' of leader into the hollow core line. So I went with the solid. I have not had a knot fail me yet.

15. fman

fman Guest

Since I haven't had the 65lb Power Pro spooled on the Spheros yet, I am going toss it to the side and go for the Jerry Brown solid in 80lb. Since the Torium is already spooled with the Stren I will leave it alone for now. Thanks Spiney and everyone else for the tips. I would hate to get on the water and get whipped by crappy line.

16. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

JB Solid braid should be better for casting - assuming you plan to spool on the spinning reel
    JB hollow braid is great for backing - IMHO

Well all of this info has helped me greatly. I am now debating between the Jerry Brown solid or hollow core lines.

The hollow core sounds interesting because of the ability to create a seamless splice to your leader. My only concern is trying to do that properly on a boat an with limited time if you loose your rig several times. Tying a knot seems quicker.

17. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Fman
    Daiwa boat braid is #1 for me it's performed much better than I expected with no problems at all

18. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Search FG knot. This is typically the best (okay i said it) braid to leader knot I have used and that I think anyone can tie in less than 4-5 minutes. I once pulled on PE8 varivas when I noob hooked a jig on an anchor line and unded up pulling the anchor that was dropped 150 feet or so down. That was a strong knot.

Anyhow. Thats my 2 cent$

Daiwa Boat Braid PE6 has done great things for me. Seems like the consensus on this board is that it overperforms, and is correctly rated, not overly priced, soft and supple 8 braid line.