Gamakatsu Assist Hooks

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by MrBill, Sep 30, 2006.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I just got my new sport fishing magazine in the mail and gamakatsu has an add bragging about their new jigging products. They have a new magic eye swivel that opens up split rings without pliers. They also have a new steel leader assist hooks for all those toothy fish that have been stealing all my jigs this year. Also, a new tuned assist HD 8/0 and 10/0 with a solid one piece ring attached to 300lb braid.

I'm just sitting here going nuts because I think I'm the only guy in San Antonio that is being forced to go to a wedding while everybody else is in Port A searching for those big tuna that showed up this week in 40-50 fathoms. If they find them, I'll never hear the end of this wedding crap.

http://gamakatsu.com/new_products/new_assisthook.htm

2. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Hey MrBill!

Don't want you to feel that you're the only one! It's been so long since I've been at sea, I'm really starting to go nuts!

What magazine did you see this ad pictured?

I've got the latest SWS, but I don't think it's in that one.

The swivel sounds great!

TJ- Check your PM!

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Hey MrBill!

Don't want you to feel that you're the only one! It's been so long since I've been at sea, I'm really starting to go nuts!

What magazine did you see this ad pictured?

I've got the latest SWS, but I don't think it's in that one.

The swivel sounds great!

TJ- Check your PM!

"Sport Fishing" page 66. Full page ad. I haven't fished in three weeks. I'm OK with that as I fished about 20 of the last 24 weekends. But, when that big tuna was caught on the "Dolphin" this week, all my fishing buddies started calling each other and went this weekend to find those big YF's. Sometimes it's a short window when they come in close to shore in big numbers and over 150 pounds.

I'm being called all sorts of names because I have to attend a wedding this evening. (My god child) One of my best friends had donated 300 pounds of shrimp for the cause. I spent most of the morning hauling the shrimp to a caterer. He took off to the coast last night and told his wife "The Cows are here" and out the door he went. It was his job to do shrimp duty, now I have to take his wife and mine to the stupid wedding while he and others might be having the fishing trip of the year. I'm pissed.

4. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Okay, must be on the August issue?

I couldn't find it on the Sept/Oct issue.

You're a good friend to take over shrimp duty AND wife hauling!

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

You're a good friend to take over shrimp duty AND wife hauling!

Your right, I should get a huge trophy for what I went though last night. I got a call at midnight from my friends that bailed out on me, and they were very cocktailed. I couldn't even understand two of them. It was mostly whiskey talk, and if they caught what they said I'll be really pissed.

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I bought a bunch of these commercial grade stainless tuna hooks. They are extremely heavy duty used by longliners. It would take a large chunk of bait to cover it, but it would never bend. In the picture is the hook with a owner supermutu 6.0.

Attached Files:

7. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Mr Bill,
    Might I suggest that the large hook shown would drop your chunk out of the natural fall for the rest of the chum. With the little I know this would have a negative impact on hookups.

8. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

MrBill- Will you post a link to where you purchased those hooks, along with the model if possible.

They look like what I want to put on some topwater baits instead of trebles.

Just want to check them out to see if they'll work.

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Snagged,
    I agree with it fall faster. A couple of years back I fished with a Capt in Cabo that was using these hooks. We use packaging peanuts inside the chunk after it was split. One peanut was almost to much. Slit the chunk, squash the peanut and stich the chunk around the hook with the peanut inside. Sounds nuts, but it worked. I've noticed over the years that the larger fish are deeper than the little ones. The sink rate is the issue. In a feeding frenzy, anything will work. This hook is way to strong for the GOM tunas. I use them when I travel.

Ragman,
    I'll post a link if you want, but the minimum order is 500 hooks. About a buck a shot. I gave 400 away this summer and still have about 80. I really don't want to sell any, as I don't want to buy another 500. By the way, are you in the linen business? I have a friend who is in the linen business and he tells everybody he is a ragman. He doesn't fish but everytime I see your screen name it reminds me of him.

10. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

I have seen times that you had to add weight to get your line to sink. Like when the current was ripping. I carry rubber cored sinkers that I can twist onto my line. Those hooks have their place. AJ and grouper fish comes to mind too.

Make sure that you use a non-biodegradable shippipng peanuts. The cornstarch based ones will dissovle on ya.

That hook would make a great trap hook for blue fins. The giants are available in the GOM in the May June timeframe....

11. Deep_Sea_Gull

Oh yeah,

The heavier hook is actually a help to those that aren't keeping a little slack in their line when chunking.

12. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

MrBill- In the fabric business, we sell fabric, furniture, trim, hardware, and finished products (top of the bed) to designers and architects, residential and contract.

I was taught this business 20 years ago by the guys that called themselves Ragmen. Plus the name of my company is The Robert Allen Group (RAG).

13. Deep_Sea_Gull

It's a small world Ragman, my company has done some label printing for their products.