Galveston 5/18

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by LEXPRO, May 19, 2008.

1. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Went out with Capt Dan Green on 30ft Scarab at 6:30 am, water was dirty all the way out but the seas were calm. Went about 70 miles to some rigs in 180ft water that he said have been holding AJ's. On board were Tufan, Big Mike, and myself. The action was non stop first fish was a big Jack Crevalle that Tufan Caught. He was using a benthos 3.5 oz jig on a 665 2spd/GUSA predator setup. Big Mike followed with an AJ on a 100gr green jig using a LX 2spd/hopper setup. At that point i had a hookup that came off, a big blue runner, and then my third fish i landed an AJ that hit a white shimano 135 gram jig on 20kPG/OTI 600gr setup. As you can see after that fish i had to use other peoples rods while they were resting. Fishing different setups on one trip sure lets you see what you really like. After we each had a fish in the box, we caught and released a bunch of fish including endangered red snapper. I also dropped a live piggie to the bottom and caught a fish which i surely thought was a grouper or shark but was a 40" ling. We also tried some spots for vermillion snapper with squid but none were home.

The highlights of the trip was seeing some kings in a feeding frenzy and jumping straigt up 20ft in the air. We also saw a barracuda eat a small AJ that mike had on and then a huge AJ came up and ate the head and what was left of the small AJ. Its the wild kingdom out there.

Attached Files:

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Congratulations on a good trip.

3. papio

papio Senior Member

OTI rods are having breakage problems now??

4. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Congrats on a good trip and thanks for sharing the photos.

We had two OTIs break on our tuna trip but that was more from user error. How did this one break?

5. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Not sure how but i just heard the sound and thought my line broke, but it was the rod, broke right in between the legs of the third eye. Im glad i bought it locally from mike's tackle, so the warranty swap will be easier. It was a bummer though since i didnt have a rod the rest of the trip.

6. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. That's a lesson I learned from my last trip. I will never go again without backup tackle.

7. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

Congrats on a good trip and thanks for sharing the photos.

We had two OTIs break on our tuna trip but that was more from user error. How did this one break?
    What did they do wrong?

8. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Hey Jim,

Well, I think the popping rod was high sticked and the jigging rod had too much drag set at initial pull. I could be wrong, but why else would they break?

Sorry for the thread highjack lexpro.

9. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

the rod pictured above and the oti rod ichiban had both broke at one of the guides. the break was between the guide feet. is that an unusual place for a rod to break? these are the first i've seen in that manner

10. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

the rod pictured above and the oti rod ichiban had both broke at one of the guides. the break was between the guide feet. is that an unusual place for a rod to break? these are the first i've seen in that manner

Actually is Fung rod the one broken between the first guide legs.
    I used Shimano Jigwrex S-508;)

11. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

oh yeah i remember now. sorry freddy.

12. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

With this one, i heard a crack and i thought the line busted but i still had fish. I looked at reel and rod but all was okay so i kept fighting fish. The less than minute later heard same thing again but this time rod was broken.