Gaint Squid

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by CAPTAMB1, Jan 12, 2007.

1. CAPTAMB1

CAPTAMB1 Guest

Ahoy from the West Coast, they are back Giant squid (not gaint lol) off San Diego, boats are getting up to 100 of these big boys a trip.

Attached Files:

2. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Dang thats some snapper bait for a while:D
    I saw this thing on discovery where they actually filmed one of those things, and it sure wasnt like in the movies or nuthing, I was a lil dissapointed:p

Kevin

3. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Also is that boat in your avatar yours? If so its looks like pretty swwet boat. Is it an enclosed bridge? Would you mind showing it off a lil:p

4. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

oso... theres another website called 976tuna that has used to have some videos , one of them had to do with catching those ugly red squid! Calamari!! YUCK! (at least here in DFW- I am sure its better when its fresh)

5. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Ronnie,
    The problem with most calamari is that these idiots overcook it.

I understand those squid put up one heck of a fight.

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Humbolt squid fishing in Sea of Cortez.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

ksong,
    Do they fight well? That is my understanding.

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

ksong,
    Do they fight well? That is my understanding.
    Just heavy. You definitely need heavy tackles for them as you catch 20 -40 lbs fish. :)

9. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Snagged,
    It's like pulling up a bucket of water or big lead ball. They don't fight or give resistance. I've caught a few in the Sea of Cortez. You must keep constant cranking pressure when using huge squid jigs otherwise they get off. They can get up to 60 feet total length. Giant squids have sharp beak like mouths and powerful jaws. The beak looks like a parrot beak. They swim backwards faster than some animals can swim forwards. Sperm whales love eating the big squid.

Ksong,
    Those are great photo's. The guy holding up that big one is lucky that those squid arms didn't attach to his manly hood. That deck looks very dangerous with all those squid piled up. I'm sure you have probably been on a trip that targeted giant squid.

Attached Files:

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Ksong,
    Those are great photo's. The guy holding up that big one is lucky that those squid arms didn't attach to his manly hood. That deck looks very dangerous with all those squid piled up. I'm sure you have probably been on a trip that targeted giant squid.

You need a big anchor as a hook to catch the monster. :)

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

The first time I caught a giant squid I was with GS. We were in our low 20's at the time. The deckhand cut out the exterior shell and gave it to us to take to a local restaurant. I believe we were in Los Cabos.

The outer membrane was about a half inch think and was huge. GS decided that he wanted his to look like a T-Bone. So he cut out a huge T-Bone shaped piece. When we got to the local little grill, he went in the kitchen and beat the crap out it with a meat hammer to tenderize it. He wanted a batter on it and deep fried like a chicken fried steak. His Spanish at the time was not very good.

When it came out of the kitchen, it looked really good. But, he couldn't cut it. So he picked it up with both hands and started going at it viking style. He was rather cocktailed and put on quite a show for all in the restaurant. He had that calamari T-Bone in his mouth dancing from table to table. We were politely asked to leave.

12. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I like to catch em and eat em. I have had the fortune to get some off SD and had fun. I saw you guys were getting into em this week. This is the second year in a row. Bet they are gone after this front pushes through.

13. Bret

Bret Senior Member

We did an overnighter in costa Rica a couple of years ago and brought back a bunch of squid.. Drop down to the end of the spool and slow jig all the way back.. the jig gets heavy and you gotta keep constant pressure... mucho finesse. Great eating if you pound the crap out of it first.

Nice pics Kil. We caught a bunch of smaller models than what you have pics of...

14. CAPTAMB1

CAPTAMB1 Guest

Dang thats some snapper bait for a while
    I saw this thing on discovery where they actually filmed one of those things, and it sure wasnt like in the movies or nuthing, I was a lil dissapointed

Also is that boat in your avatar yours? If so its looks like pretty swwet boat. Is it an enclosed bridge? Would you mind showing it off a lil
    Kevin

Your right about that Kevin, they make great bait for snapper and just about anything.

That is my boat; it is a 25 ft Skipjack pilothouse they are made here in Southern Ca. Here are a few pics.

Attached Files:

15. CAPTAMB1

CAPTAMB1 Guest

I like to catch em and eat em. I have had the fortune to get some off SD and had fun. I saw you guys were getting into em this week. This is the second year in a row. Bet they are gone after this front pushes through.

Pope I think they will be around for awhile. We also get the smaller squid here this time of year and the white sea bass fishing takes off when that happens.