G.O.M. 80 Hour Charter!

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by Ragman, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Thought I'd place this here since there's never been a thread! LOL

Just got confirmed on an 80 hour jigging and popping only charter out of Port Fourchon on board the Caribbean Sea and Capt Tomeny!

We'll be chasing pelagics and reef dwellers so almost anything is possible!

World Wide Fishing Guide

The only variable is the weather, but mid June should offer the best chance at a relatively calm weather pattern in the Gulf of Mexico and the people I'll get to fish with are some of the best!

I'll post a full report and plenty of pics too!

I'm psyched!!!

2. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Mid June is a great time to go! I predict this will be one of the most epic trips seen in the Gulf!

I'll be looking forward to lots of pictures and a great report!

Tom - DBG

"We don't need no steenkin harness"

3. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

Just a question,but if yft are foaming on chunks behind the boat are you still going to fish jigs. It says jigging and popping only but if they dont want jigs and poppers, Are you going to get thrown overboard by the crew for chunking and live baiting. I understand kil is putting it together, but sometimes you have to match the bait with the food. I know some poeple get there kicks fishing lures but if they dont want lures why limit yourself to these methods only. I think this trip will be great with plenty of fish caught as all the people on board know how to fish.

Good luck tom and ksong.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I just saw this post as soon as I opened a new thread about the trip. ;)

5. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members

Thought I'd place this here since there's never been a thread! LOL

Just got confirmed on an 80 hour jigging and popping only charter out of Port Fourchon on board the Caribbean Sea and Capt Tomeny!

We'll be chasing pelagics and reef dwellers so almost anything is possible!

World Wide Fishing Guide

The only variable is the weather, but mid June should offer the best chance at a relatively calm weather pattern in the Gulf of Mexico and the people I'll get to fish with are some of the best!

I'll post a full report and plenty of pics too!

I'm psyched!!!

Welcome to the trip Tom. I look forward to fishing with you again.

6. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Just a question,but if yft are foaming on chunks behind the boat are you still going to fish jigs. It says jigging and popping only but if they dont want jigs and poppers, Are you going to get thrown overboard by the crew for chunking and live baiting. I understand kil is putting it together, but sometimes you have to match the bait with the food. I know some poeple get there kicks fishing lures but if they dont want lures why limit yourself to these methods only. I think this trip will be great with plenty of fish caught as all the people on board know how to fish.

Good luck tom and ksong.

Hey Jared!

If I know the rest of this crew correctly, any bait -live, dead or chunk- will not be an option, probably not even any on the boat! LOL

The trip will most likely be a challenge/skill test/fishery education for most of these guys to learn and experience as much as possible, in 80 fishing hours, on what, when, where, and how to target, hook, catch -but only using artificial means- all available species possible for the time of year and conditions at the time of the trip.

I prefer using artificial baits when I fish, but fully respect and appreciate the different skill set needed to successfully fish bait, such as rigging, terminal gear, and presentation.

I'm a pretty flexible guy and will go with the rest of the crew to use whatever tactics and methods that the conditions dictate.

I've never been on an "all artificial" charter, but have noticed lately that they are becoming popular.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Though this trip is designed for jigging and popping, I don't discourage to use baits from time to time as the most important thing is to have a fun together.
    There are a few guy who never caught tuna before. I'll do everything for them to fight a few tuna on the trip. :)
    However I am pretty confident tuna will respond to jigs and poppers.
    Occasionally they just ignore artificial lures, but they eventually hit jigs and poppers. As this trip is not for meat fishing, many guys will stay on jigging and popping no matter what the results are and they intend to release their catches though I am not discouraging to keep their catches.

We have many success on the East Coast last year by jigging tuna when we marked them in certain depth daytime. Capt suggested that we could catch tuna daytime in Green Canyon and we are going to try jigging tuna daytime if the opportunities come.