Future of Sportfishing?..In Texas!!

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by gimmedeal, Mar 19, 2008.

1. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Got my copy of Sport Fishingand there's a 2 page ad in it nitroducing 'The Lone Star BluewaterFishing Ranch'. Anybody heard of it? It's supposed tobe 12 miles SW of Galveston. Fishing in pens!! Claim to be able to fish for black and blue marlin, 500 to 800 lb Bluefin, whatever you want. They'll pick you up at the airport and put you on a boat in a fishpen where you'll get to do battle.

This ain't really happening is it?

Fred

2. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

That sounds like the "April" issue!!

DBG

3. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Aye, April. When you see the ad, you won't believe it. It shows on guy straining on a fish and a deckhand maybe, helping him lift the rod. They show an aerial view of the pens and they're not too much bigger than the boat.

Fred

4. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Years ago when the exotic hunting ranches started up in Texas, I didn't think they would make it. Well, with hundreds of operations all over the state still in business right now, I was wrong. People will pay tens of thousands to fly in and out the same day to get what they desire. You don't have to travel to Africa and spend all that time. I still to this day have not killed an animal at a feeder or any game that was released just for me. I am a firm believer in fair game play.

This fishing pen concept isn't my cup of tea, but it will work. It's not sporty but you will catch the record fish you desire. I think these guys will make a killing. They purchase big fish from all over the world, put them in a pen. mark the price of fish and watch the suckers come Just release it for the next guy. It saves people time and money. It saves travel time, trolling time and "You should have been here yesterday" comments. These guys are even petitioning IGFA for a special category to include penned fish.:eek:

If I did any of the pen fishing I would try the "Old man and the Sea" adventure. They stick you in a marlin pen in a 14 foot wooden boat, a pair of oars and a hand line. Go after that grander with a hand line.They will even add a pair of Mako's to the pen to make it a special challenge. They do require a physical exam for this adventure.

I hear talk on this a couple of years ago. I guess somebody made it come true.

The Lone Star

5. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

I got it..the April issue. It's an April Fools gag.

Fred

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I got it..the April issue. It's an April Fools gag.

Fred

Yea, I was hoping to fool a few more. Guess who's idea this whole concept came from? He posts on this board and one day don't be surprised to see it happen in the baffin area. :D

7. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

Yea, I was hoping to fool a few more. Guess who's idea this whole concept came from? He posts on this board and one day don't be surprised to see it happen in the baffin area. :D
    Gunsmoke??!!:D

8. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

While this was a joke, in case anyone fears it's actually happening, I strongly question the legality of anyone's setting up a private fishing pen, either in the bays or offshore. Admittedly, there have been fish farms in sea water--but I don't know of any within U.S. waters. There was at least one offshore tuna pen--we have all seen that on the Discovery Channel--but I think the difficulty of doing it in waters within U.S. limits would be overwhelming. The most important distinction between the so-called "hunting ranches" and a fishing pen would be that the ranches are on private land. It would require specific enabling legislation by either the state or federal government and the outcry would be phenomenal. Ain't gonna happen.

Russ

9. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

It very well could happen. Problem is the large investment of capital it would take to pull it off. The return on investment is not favorable to a "normal" venture capitalist. All that is needed is the right group of investors with a passion for exotic game fishing without the need of a monetary gain in the near future.

I've even heard of just GT and Dogtooth fishing as a starting point, as those fisherman will spend lots of money to achieve their trophy catches. Five hundred acres of private land without deep dredging would accomplish that goal.

10. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

We'll meet you at the Houston Intercontinental Airport in an Escalade with an attendant serving hors d'oeuvres behind a fully stocked bar for the short but pleasant drive to the marina at Galveston..................................
    ..................................................................................................
    Aprils fools or not, (which I can apreceiate) one of the harder things to gaurentee would be a short but pleasant drive from IAH to Galveston. LOL.
    Heck I spent 45 mins yesterday going 10 blocks on 61st street in Galveston do to Spring Break visitors.
    I think it was last years April issue that had 2 new IGFA catagory's one was the honnor system catagory where you just had to fill out a form with the size of your new world record.
    If that was the case I might of been inclined to persue the Blue crab world record on FLY...:rolleyes: