360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Full Auto,Suppressors, SBRs

8K views 57 replies 11 participants last post by  longgar 
#1 ·
What do you have, had, or want?

What did you like / dislike?

Have you shot any others?

Im really thinking about getting the "Cheap" M11 9 and buying all the Lage goodies to make it a much better subgun..

Does anyone know of a Class 3 dealer that they would recommend that would form the trust etc.?

Thanks,

Gary

#2 ·
I used to be a dealer and have had many in the past and still have several. I also have shot about everything at 1 time or another. Many friends of mine have both FA and surpressed firearms. What are your specific questions? I hope you have a bunker of ammo available. The best was an American 180 with laser and surpressor. I would love to have it back.

#3 ·
I have a suppressor. I really enjoy it but you should shoot one before purchasing because it's not like Hollywood quiet unless the round shot is subsonic. If you want more details just ask, don't want to bore you with minutia.
I don't own an automatic weapon...beyond my price range.
http://www.hegwoodlaw.com/Practice-Areas/Gun-Trusts.shtml
I believe this is the law firm that does a huge number of trusts for NFA arms. I purchased as an individual but really wish I had gone trust route. I will be moving mine into a trust in the future.
I could recommend a dealer but he is in San Angelo, I'm sure there are many good ones in the metro mess. I would ask for what the charge is upfront and what paperwork they help you process.

#7 ·
I have five NFA stamps (SBR & four suppressors). While I can appreciate FA NFA items as investment vehicles, the novelty of FA fire wears off pretty quickly. Similarly, if I could go back in time, I'd not have done the SBR thing but it's done now so I'm pretty much stuck with it (not many people want a registered lower with someone else's name engraved on it!).

-Rimfire suppressors - as much fun as you can have with a firearm.
-Centerfire suppressors - meh, show me a supersonic hearing-safe .223 can and we'll talk, but that's a unicorn as of now
-SBR's - waste of time/money unless the cosmetics just really work for you
-MG's - costly now, won't be getting any cheaper due to finite supply

#8 ·
Hey hatidua I am hoping this thread is old enough that a high jack isnt to offensive to the OP.

You mentioned a supersonic hearing safe can as not possible. Do you mind expanding on that? I have understood that 140 db is the point where OSHA would require hearing protection. It seems several of the quality manufacturers have suppressor technology that is producing db well below this threshold. Am I missing something?

#9 ·
Just finished up my trust a month ago and have a silencerco sparrow (.22) in NFA jail..can't decide if I need a dedicated 5.56 can and a 30 cal..or just get the 30cal in something QD to pull double duty..and is investing in a .45 and threaded barrels for pistols worth the expense? may do one sbr in 300blk. so many decisions...its hard because once you make one your stuck with it haha.

#10 ·
oldtrackster said:
Hey hatidua I am hoping this thread is old enough that a high jack isnt to offensive to the OP.

You mentioned a supersonic hearing safe can as not possible. Do you mind expanding on that? I have understood that 140 db is the point where OSHA would require hearing protection. It seems several of the quality manufacturers have suppressor technology that is producing db well below this threshold. Am I missing something?
OSHA requires single hearing protection at 90 db, and double hearing protection for anything over 120 db and the protection must reduce the noise to below the safe threshold of 90 db.

d-a

Reactions: oldtrackster
#12 ·
"Hearing safe" is a term that means one thing medically, and a whole host of things on gun forums, where some rather manly types claim that shooting unsuppressed .22 should not require hearing protection of any kind whatsoever. They're ears are more durable than mine...

Every couple of years I make a point of getting enough people with the latest suppressors together that we can hear, in-person, if the latest/greatest is all it's cracked up to be or if it's simply slick marketing.

I've managed to hear the latest .30 and 5.56 suppressors used on AR's with supersonic ammo being fired and I have not heard a single suppressor that I'd willingly opt out of ear muffs when using. I personally use a SRT Shadow-Ti (.30) on a .223 and find that to be the 'quietest' solution to date, but it's not safe to use without ear muffs if you value your hearing. The sonic crack of any supersonic ammo, is going to exist regardless of what suppressor is used, and while the overall concussion is drastically reduced, it's still fairly loud, especially when used on shorter rifles (suppressing SBR's seems quite common).

There really isn't any shortcut that I've seen in getting the sound level down. All the short mini-cans that have come out are truly very loud. Thus, while they may be tempting from a size standpoint, the diminishing return from a sound standpoint is puzzling: pay the $200 stamp, wait a year, and get something that isn't really all that effective? -not sure I understand the motive there.

#13 ·
AaronD said:
can't decide if I need a dedicated 5.56 can and a 30 cal..or just get the 30cal
Get the best, most durable, .30 suppressor, and adapt it to the smaller centerfire calibers. Yes, the .30 can is bigger, but they do a very good job of suppressing smaller calibers. When I find a .223 suppressor that is quieter than my .30 titanium suppressor, I'll probably buy it, but I've yet to hear one that outdoes what I already have.

I do not use QD connections because suppressors are hot enough after use that there really isn't any such thing as quick-detach (barring nomex gloves). I've had thread adapters made that work very well and I've not seen any POI shift.

.30 suppressor on 11.5 SBR:

#14 ·
great info thanks Mark. need more on the thread adapters can you share a source? I was waiting for the saker 7.62, but my local dealer has a bunch of thunderbeast direct thread (their BA models too but the break is hideous) in stock now at great prices...I may go that route instead.

hatidua said:
Get the best, most durable, .30 suppressor, and adapt it to the smaller centerfire calibers. Yes, the .30 can is bigger, but they do a very good job of suppressing smaller calibers. When I find a .223 suppressor that is quieter than my .30 titanium suppressor, I'll probably buy it, but I've yet to hear one that outdoes what I already have.

I do not use QD connections because suppressors are hot enough after use that there really isn't any such thing as quick-detach (barring nomex gloves). I've had thread adapters made that work very well and I've not seen any POI shift.

.30 suppressor on 11.5 SBR:

#15 ·
AaronD said:
need more on the thread adapters can you share a source?
Mark McWillis, TROS, http://www.trosusa.com (click on "suppressor thread adapters").

If he doesn't have it in stock, he can custom make any size needed. My SRT Shadow-Ti was originally ordered for a Sako TRG (.308) and so the adapter I use is from an odd Euro/metric size, to 1/2x28, -thing works great.

#20 ·
I had a few and now its an ammunition concern for FA. My all time favorite was my American 180, surpressed with laser and 177 round drum. I would have never thought then 22lr would be a problem. I sure wish I still had it. One day 3 of us shot 5000 rounds through it, my 1st name is still on the side of my cousins old metal barn in holes.

#21 ·
LD31 said:
I had a few and now its an ammunition concern for FA. My all time favorite was my American 180, surpressed with laser and 177 round drum. I would have never thought then 22lr would be a problem. I sure wish I still had it. One day 3 of us shot 5000 rounds through it, my 1st name is still on the side of my cousins old metal barn in holes.
Thats Awesome! Love it.

Yeah the prices on those American 180s are shocking.. And then the ammo.... geeze

#22 ·
My father always said buying quality firearms was the best investment you could make and always a market for them, it was very true.
In the late 70's or early 80's I had an chance to buy Sn #13 M60 which was a demo from Aberdeen Proving Grounds for evaluation. It was 1 of 25 of the original ones made by Maremount Muffler Co. You could have been fixed for life now if you had that. A friend in Dallas who's father owned a gun shop bought it and there was an article in SOF Magazine on it. I have no clue where it is now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.