Fuji sic

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by thenewkid, Aug 13, 2009.

1. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

So, instead of returning my hopper rod, I was wondering is it a viable option to just buy new guides and have a rodbuilder replace them for me? anyone have any idea how much something like this would cost ?

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

if you really like the rod... do it.

3. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Not so much the rod... But the few dollars I have left in my account that I like. lol tryin to get a figure to work with to see whats a better option $$ wise.

4. red34

red34 Guest

go to Mud Hole Custom Tackle | The World's Largest Rod Building Supplier and click on the guides.

MNSG Concept Spin/Cast Guides

MNSG Guides are pretty popular. I personally do 1 ea 20 & 16 and then 12's to the tip. Or you can do a 12 and 10's to the tip depending on the size of the tip of the blank and the ring/tube size availability.

Do a little research here and see which guides you like. Alconites (BMNAG) will save you some $$ but are less popular on this board and with the use of spectra. The guy at Mudhole assured me they would hold up, but I still only use them on 50# class and under.

5. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Wierd my hoppers both have Fuji sic guides. What did yours come with?

6. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I think the Hopper spinners are Hardloy...

To me, it would be better to just start fresh with a full custom, (like from Paul708) or look for a deal on a rod with better components like OTI. IMHO there's nothing wrong with saving $$ using Alconite Fujis instead of SiC, and if you don't add a lot of bling, custom rods can be very reasonable...

Not bashing Hopper... But unless you love the blank or got a smokin deal that would allow for putting more $$ in it, you'll just have a 2nd tier rod with nice guides and a bunch of money tied up in it.

Again... Not saying Hopper's aren't OK rods, just that throwing money at it to upgrade it wouldn't be my first choice. I'd keep it and fish it as is or upgrade to something different... Just my $.02.

Jason

7. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

My advice is to get a replacement from the vendor.

If you move on that idea, then I have another hopper rod you can purchase from me that is conventional.

:)

8. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

All good points, and I get it. There isnt really anything specail about the rod im just trying to find my best option. Im super broke, my trip is less than 2 weeks away. I need to fix or replace this by then. I need somewhere I can get an estimate on how much this will cost send it out and have it fixed. idk what size guides I need nor do I know how to wrap them.

9. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

They dont even need to be SIc I just need decent guides that can hold up to catchin fish. Or spooling up in my living room:rolleyes:

10. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

The conventional Hopper rods have SIC and the spinners have Hardloy, hence the price difference. Buying 2 hardloy guides and putting them on (or having them put) on is a no brainer. I've done it at work in my spare time (when no one was looking), though it's hard to hide the sound of the drying motor. The most expensive Fuji Hardloy guide at Mudhole is $11.20. You can repair the rod cheaper than the shipping. That said, a dealer that wouldn't stand behind a purchase is one I would never use again. That rod should have been replaced , no questions asked.

11. SeaWolf

SeaWolf Junior member

if you choose to replace the guides on that rod and have a rod builder rewrap it, i would go to a rod builder and buy the guides thru him.

12. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

You can get the guides a lot of places, depending on where you are located. I was just using Mudhole as an example of pricing. Since he has a trip real soon, I would just fix the two bad guides and worry about rewrapping at another time. I fix my own rods so I just try to match what is on there. All you realy need is some heavy books to put tension on the thread and a cardboard box with a couple of notches cut in it to support the rod. I think time is his biggest enemy right now.

13. SeaWolf

SeaWolf Junior member

if time is of the essense, then why wait days for guides that may or may not be in stock and then hope there is enough time to wrap it yourself? shop around for a rod builder who can probably fix the rod pretty quick, has the supplies in stock and the rod will be as good as new. if you are somewhat experienced repairing or building rods on your own, by all means do it yourself. but, if it comes out wrong and the trip in in a couple days, was it worth it?

if you don't want to spend the money on sic, alconite is a better option than hardloy.

14. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

TheNewKid, where in CT are ya? Where are you going?? I have a rod I may be able to loan out to you, or get the SiC's and rewrap it! I'm in CT as well!

15. b2customrods

b2customrods Guest

Dont get the SIC's go with the Titanium Nitrated Zirconia. Just about as hard and will hold up to braid. Cost is much less. You could also buy the guides from me. I charge 10% over my cost.

Sics can be very pricey. The titanium SIC guides are very light but are $$$$$

You should order a custom rod. Get it maid the way you want. In most cases it may be around the same price as off the shelf. Dont add all the bling like Marbling, Gold or silver winding checks or two color wrapping on the guides. It wont catch more fish just will cost you more. Then again if you want a rod with all the bling go for it. There is no limit to what you can do to a rod these days.

I charge 10% over my cost for all the parts including the blank. I charge 100.00 labor for single color wrap. So my rods are not expensive they range from 148.00 for a eglass crankin Bass Rod top 517.00 for a very modified St Croix 10'6" Surf Rod. Thats just an example for you on what some builders may
    charge.