360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Site Sponsor
2,892 Posts
Most of the time in the fishing world ..You get what you pay for..Not to knock them but cheap gear is just that...
I wish I could find a reel for $75 that's built like an Avet & made in the USA...But for now I buy Avet,s.....

·
2,030 Posts
Hey don't knock the rods, I have a 400 gr Barefoot which is the same blank as the hooper 400 and I have slammed some awesome ajs and grouper with it. I grab it over my F series Trevalla any time. The Barefoot cost 50 and the F cost 199 at the time. I've broke 2 Trevallas and zero Barefoot rods. So you decide.

·
1,366 Posts
Hey don't knock the rods, I have a 400 gr Barefoot which is the same blank as the hooper 400 and I have slammed some awesome ajs and grouper with it. I grab it over my F series Trevalla any time. The Barefoot cost 50 and the F cost 199 at the time. I've broke 2 Trevallas and zero Barefoot rods. So you decide.

Same here. I have two Barefoot (250g and 400g conventional) and one Hopper 600g conventional.

I caught Tuna on the 600g Hopper with no problems at all. Another tuna trip this year one guy used the 400g Hopper to catch tuna with and that was fun to watch. Also I have used the 250g on Bluefish and other smaller fish.

For the money and the budget category they work very well. Obviously pay more for beter refinement.

·
553 Posts
Hoppers and Barefoot are excellent rods. Out of curiosity I bought a few and really like them. They're tuff on abuse making them great for PBs.

I always take 1 Hopper on all my offshore trips - fun rods.

·
349 Posts
I am happy with my Hopper and other FTU rods. I use them regularly on my offshore trips. I see high dollar similar rods break more than these rods. I don't see any improvement in performance of a similar high dollar rods.

·
3,165 Posts
I bought a spinning hooper rod and used it on the Big E, I really liked it and contemplating on buy another for a torsa 30.

·
784 Posts
I have both a Barefoot 350g casting and a Hopper 500g spinner and like them both. The only minus to the Hopper spinner is it has hardloy guides . The Hopper casting rod has SIC's I beleive, hence the higher cost. So far no problem with the guides and I realy don't expect any, but the SIC's are nice.
I would love another Barefoot but they are getting real hard to find

D

·
196 Posts
What kind of knot is that Vertical jigging knot with orange string in your videos? Is it good for casting on a spinning rod? It looks very similar to PR knot. Will PR knot work with FLouro or just mono?

The 400 gr Barefoot rod is in the picture with me in camo jumpsuit and white shirt.

Florida Offshore Fishing Videos

·
12 Posts
Hoppers work fine.
Used a 400 gram for 50+ lbs AJs and 50 lb Bluefin with no problem.

I would call before you purchase the rod.
Over the past couple years I purchased two rods. The heavier 500 gram was shipped with some lighter weight guides on them. I am probably the least careful person with a rod, so I already switched out the tip guide on the rod after I bent it against something somewhere.

The 400 came with heavier guides on it.

·
145 Posts
What kind of knot is that Vertical jigging knot with orange string in your videos? Is it good for casting on a spinning rod? It looks very similar to Page Ranking knot. Will PR knot work with FLouro or just mono?

I use PR Knot On fluoro and it works pretty well never failed for me.

·
Banned
588 Posts
I've had over 5 BFT on jigs with the 500gram Hopper that weighed 150lbs or bigger. The rod can really take a big fish, as I've horsed two of those fish in under 15 mins. with the proper reel. I think there are better rods for the job but I won't hesitate using mine again. Well worth the money, especially for someone on a budget.

If I was to buy a new rod I would consider the herkules, and customize it how I want it.

·
Registered
991 Posts
What the hell Ron! You trying to hijack this thread? I thought you were going to talk about the 3 YFT I caught on your Hopper rod not long ago! It is a Hopper isn't it?:confused:

Bluewater Dawg said:
What kind of knot is that Vertical jigging knot with orange string in your videos?

·
1,553 Posts
When hopper rods first came out they had videos where they were catching Goliath groupers to 300 pounds with those rods. They are a good value for the money and have a great warranty

·
196 Posts
Yeah it was a hopper but I sold it I wanted a popping rod instead of a jigging rod. They referenced a video then a saw those knots. Ineeed to know more knots. lol

Rainbowrunner said:
What the hell Ron! You trying to hijack this thread? I thought you were going to talk about the 3 YFT I caught on your Hopper rod not long ago! It is a Hopper isn't it?:confused:

Bluewater Dawg said:
What kind of knot is that Vertical jigging knot with orange string in your videos?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts