FTU customer service

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by thenewkid, Aug 12, 2009.

1. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Long story short, I purchased a 500g 5'8" spinning hopper rod from ftu bout a month ago. Parked a saragosa 18k on it for the moment. Figured this rod would get the job done till I got an OTI or something. While spooling the reel the top two guide inserts popped right out. Called ftu they want me to pay for shipping both ways from CT. I guess you get what you pay for in product and in custoer service. Not bashin the product though I'm more ready to lean towards a unique problem rather than a flaw on down the line of rods. Guess
    I just got a lemon but I'm gunna return it. Anyone got suggestions for a PB jiggin spining rod ?

2. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

Get the OTI 400g. Very good rod with reasonable price. Or keep the hopper rod and put preminum guides on it.

3. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

I explained what happened. The guy sounded like he could give a chit Honestly. I tried to reason, he said they wont pay for shipping either way. and they would only replaice the two guides. No upgrade just put two new guides of the same kind. Is there any way i can get a 60lb oti spin 7'6" and get away with using it for popping and jigging?

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Stay with OTI products as their customer service is excellent. Get the new 5'2" 400g OTI Jigging rod, you will be very happy with it!

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I explained what happened. The guy sounded like he could give a chit Honestly. I tried to reason, he said they wont pay for shipping either way. and they would only replaice the two guides. No upgrade just put two new guides of the same kind. Is there any way i can get a 60lb oti spin 7'6" and get away with using it for popping and jigging?

You can jig with the 7'6" but if you hook into a big fish 400ft down, your body will cry and pay for it dearly.. :D

It's better to stick to a pure jigging rod if you jig most of the time IMO.

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

as lordhell said if youre jigging bigeyes and are 400' down then the 7'6" rod will be tough. but the longer rod is nice on a PB. what drag are you using? the 300g OTI is 6' and might not be a bad compromise if youre using 17-20 lbs of drag

7. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I actually like the 7.5 foot 40-60lb rods for jigging. I dont see any difference in pulling a grouper up from the depths as a larger YF sounding on you. Yes a shorter rod would be easier to get the fish in with but the longer rod works better for Yo-Yo jigging. Not to mention on a party boat it helps keep the line away from the hull.

d-a

8. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

okay FTU has me puzzled.

i sent back a hopper rod 500g for replacement, they issued me a credit for the store but never called me to tell me. I called back 2 weeks later wondering and they told me that i have a credit. I did pay for shipping to miami...

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

okay FTU has me puzzled.

i sent back a hopper rod 500g for replacement, they issued me a credit for the store but never called me to tell me. I called back 2 weeks later wondering and they told me that i have a credit. I did pay for shipping to miami...

Miami? Really? FTU is in houston:eek: :D

d-a

10. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Opps.

I assumed FTU was Capt Harry's. I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification...:D :D :D :cool:

11. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

New Kid,

Have you gone to FTU website and gone to the "contact us" section

and asked\explained the rod issue to them?

I've asked a few product questions this way and they have been answered

by the store mgr. The answer maybe the same but at least at a higher level.

Or maybe an answer more satisfactory to you.

Just sayin...

Kev

12. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Hey kev, Yup i called. Asked to talk to the manager, think he said his name was bob. He sounded like he didnt care. although when ordering the rod i did talk to someone who seemed like they cared about customers. her name was connie. The rod was out of stock. I was told to leave her a message. man if she hadcalled back any faster, I woulda still bein holdin the phone

13. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

Good look dealing with FTU. I live about 20 minutes from there and after the last time they royally screwed me over I vowed never to give them a dime again.

14. north coast

north coast Senior Member

Can someone tell us what FTU is? I think with the way their customer service sounds,we'd all like to know. I know I won't deal with them.There are plenty of places to buy equipment that know how to treat a customer.I broke a trevala less than 2 weeks ago and I'm already fishing with the replacement. They let me cut the blank to save on shipping and paid for the return.that's customer service.

15. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Can someone tell us what FTU is? I think with the way their customer service sounds,we'd all like to know. I know I won't deal with them.There are plenty of places to buy equipment that know how to treat a customer.I broke a trevala less than 2 weeks ago and I'm already fishing with the replacement. They let me cut the blank to save on shipping and paid for the return.that's customer service.

Fishing Tackle Unlimited fishing tackle, fishing Rods, fishing gear, fishing equipment, fishing accessories, fishing store, fishing Lures, Shimano, Simms, Penn Reel

There in Texas

d-a

16. fuelish1

fuelish1 Senior Member

I just had to return a hopper rod, but only because my newell wont fit on the handle....they let me change out to a diff. rod no problem....it was quite a drive, but they didn't give me any slack at all.......