Freezing Tuna?

Discussion in 'Pelagics' started by Voo Doo Chile, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Voo Doo Chile

Voo Doo Chile Junior member

When I vacuum pak, and freeze fish, it keeps its quality for months. When I do this with tuna, it loses color, texture, and taste, after only a month or so. I was wondering if I froze the collared tuna whole, sealed in a food grade plastic bag, if it would stay fresh longer. I remember seeing a video, where they kept tuna frozen whole, for extended periods of time. I realize that their freezers where colder then mine. But I am just looking for a way to keep tuna around for quality consumption later. The way it goes now, I generally give some tuna away while it is fresh, just so it doesn’t go to waste. Suggestions and advice are welcome.

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Smoke it? Can it? hmm, keeping around a 100+ tuna whole would require a huge bag!

3. Voo Doo Chile

Voo Doo Chile Junior member

I have bags that I use for winemaking, that line a 30 gallon trashcan with plenty left over. Sealing the bag properly might be a problem. I like the canning idea.

4. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Don't they freeze sushi tuna loins in a brine solution? I don't know this for sure, or if it would make it last infinitely longer. But maybe somebody else knows more...

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if they want to freeze it for me, ill bethere for a whole weekend no problems :)

6. shanker

shanker Senior Member

I buy tuna steaks ALL the time from HEB, I do not buy the thawed ones but I tell them to pull some out of the freezer for me, the Tuna comes from Hawaii and whatever they do when they vacumm seal each steak, makes them last MONTHS in my freezer and they come out GREAT every time. When I thaw them, I leave them in the vacuum bag in my fridge for a few days to thaw slowly.

I wish I knew what they use, because it saves great. I have bought thawed out Tuna from HEB before and it was HORRIBLE, when they thaw it out on Ice w/ all the other fish, it absorbs the bad odor from the catfish I guess

7. fishyhat

fishyhat Guest

Fresh for me.

Frozen for the cat.

8. toddmanchu

toddmanchu Junior member

Are u guys talking about freezing yellowfin or bluefin? I hear yellofin freezes well. I have never had any success with bluefin. The only way they are able to freeze giant bluefins is due to extremely quick and low temps. In Ma. all sushi sold has to be from frozen product. I have been unable to dupicate.

9. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

I froze about 60lbs of yellow fin last year with a vacuum sealer. I ate on it for AWHILE and I did not notice any loss in flavor or texture.

10. shanker

shanker Senior Member

I froze about 60lbs of yellow fin last year with a vacuum sealer. I ate on it for AWHILE and I did not notice any loss in flavor or texture.

exactly, the trick is to thaw it properly, I prefer to thaw mine, in the vacuume warp, in the fridge, it may take a day or 2, but really helps keep the meat moist and maintain good texture

11. miles

miles Senior Member

Hiya

The PROPER way to freeze and keep YF tuna is to have it blast frozen at -60 degrees celcuis (-76F). The frozen tuna then needes to be kept in a chest freezer that is also -60 degrees celcuis (-76F)

These freezers are how-ever extremely costly.

This is how the commercial tuna trade freeze their stocks for long term storage or use.

Only other solution: go fishin' more often!!:D :D :D

12. pipelayer2

pipelayer2 Junior member

What I do with mine, and seem to have no ill effects for months, is clean up the steaks as good as I can trimming all the blood and sinew. I then soak the cleaned steaks in a slush of ice, water, and cut/squeezed limes for 3-4 hours. This draws out some more of the oils and blood. The steaks (I assume from the acid in the citrus) lighten up a bit during the process, but have lasted me quite a while. I also pre-freeze them in the bags before I vacuum seal the bags so no water compromises the seal.

Hope this helps

13. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Last year in Cabo, the captain had a place process the fish for us. They had a flash freezer that would freeze 100lbs of fish in around 2 minutes. We brought all of the fish home with us from that trip and just thawed it in the fridge.
    It stayed good as long as we had it... 4 months or so.
    When I bring YFT home from the gulf, I process it all into steaks and loin tips and whatever I want for sushi over the next couple of days. The steaks are put into vac bags with a sea salt and water brine. I then let the vac sealer suck out the air and then switch it to seal. Every once in a while I get a bad seal and have to redo it.
    This method seems to keep the fish "fresher" for a longer period of time than the bag by itself. I still think the flash freezer does a better job though.

14. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Hiya

The PROPER way to freeze and keep YF tuna is to have it blast frozen at -60 degrees celcuis (-76F). The frozen tuna then needes to be kept in a chest freezer that is also -60 degrees celcuis (-76F)

These freezers are how-ever extremely costly.

This is how the commercial tuna trade freeze their stocks for long term storage or use.

Only other solution: go fishin' more often!!:D :D :D

Wait a second. So thats how they freeze them on those illegal type tuna harvesting boats? they ones where you see on the film they are all piled up 500 at a time on top of each other in the huge pit hulls of the boats?