360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ALL, (no vacuum seal, only ziplock bags)
Assuming you eat your filets with skin on, When you filet (BlackSeaBass),
~ do you keep the scale on and descale them before cooking
or
~ scale them during cleaning process?

I read keeping scale on will slow down freezer burn.

thoughts? :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
If the fish is small enough, I just freeze it whole. Bleed when it's caught, remove guts and gills at home and freeze. They've lasted me many months like this with no change in taste, just that sort of soggy texture that you can get with previously frozen fish. If you're going to fillet, it doesn't matter whether you scale it or not, all that exposed meat will oxidize anyway. Scaling vs not scaling would only make a difference when the fish is frozen whole imo.

If I'm freezing fillets, I scale the fish at the dock and then clean, pack and freeze. If I'm leaving it whole I just bleed it right after it's caught, gut and gill and then freeze. A food saver is really great for preventing freezer burn though. I got one at costco when they had a sale and it really wasn't all that expensive, totally worth it.

·
Retired Member
5,445 Posts
Try your hardest not to let you catch hit any fresh water, and do not rinse off with fresh water. I pack and freeze fillets as is if I can’t rinse in saltwater. Fresh water starts breaking down the meat as soon at it comes in contact with saltwater fish fillets. I rinse my fillets with fresh water right before cooking only. Again do not clean, rinse, or have cooler water to get in you bag of fillets. Drain water from cooler when needed and keep packed fillets on too of ice not submerged in a fresh cold water bath.

Benny

1 - 4 of 4 Posts