freeport? Big E

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by 2busy, Sep 17, 2008.

1. 2busy

2busy Senior Member

from what i can gather ,Freeport made it threw the storm pretty good. Wondering if the Big E will be able to get back to business for the next 52 hr trip Sept 26-28. If so what motels are good to stay in and not to expensive.

I feel bad asking so soon with all the problems down there.But it is getting close and need to make arangements.

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

The boat might go, but it is highly unlikely that you will be able to find a hotel room within 150 miles of freeport.. Lots of people with messed up houses ,courtesy of Ike....
    I would plan to sleep in your vehicle and bring all of your own food, ice, etc..

3. 2busy

2busy Senior Member

I figured we would have to bring everything. My friend called one of the motels on the big e web site and they said they were open and had vacancies. I dont want to take a room if someone down there needs it. It was the one next door to the dock.

4. feeder

feeder Senior Member

I've heard mixed things about the motel (Country Hearth?) right across the street from Elliots. I think as long as you don't leave anything in your car it should be alright. I've stayed at the Cher beforein Lake Jackson. It's not great and a bit further away but really all you need is a bed for a good night's sleep.

5. Crab

Crab Junior member

I talked to Roxanne today at UE . We are going out 3 Oct . Trip it is still a go . Boats OK.They have a few issues with freezer and docks , but all should be repaired soon .
    Had to look around a little ,but found rooms in Clute at Motel 6 .

6. jt2hunt

jt2hunt Senior Member

They need to get the satellite TV and depthfinder fixed on the fine tv's they have in the galley.

7. 2busy

2busy Senior Member

Friend called every motel he could find a number for. none of them are taking reservations till october. Guess we will have to settle for the one across the street. We heard they have had bad reports about it.

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I have stayed there twice, not a place to take the wife but it serves the purpose for what your wanting. We locked everything up and took all the high dollar items into the room with us. No problems

d-a

9. workin

workin Member

Hey,

Seconded - I stayed at the Country Hearth Resort & Spa two trips and have no complaints.

10. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I have to say that I too have stayed at the motel in question, and it was outstanding. I found the "no smoking signs" on the doors to be in excellent shape and on top of that, the odor of burnt tobacco inside the "non smoking" room itself was about 10 percent less offensive than your average bar in a North African whorehouse. Moreover, the brown stains on the carpet were uniform enough that they resembled the bottom of a hippopotamus cage, rather than just a single spot where someone had experienced severe stomach problems. The ice container had very little organic matter clinging to its edges, and the coffee pot did not work, thus protecting me from any possible ebola virus from that source. The noise of the air conditioner (which I was pleasantly surprised to find in working condition) allowed me to prepare my ears for the later experience of standing on the decks of the Big E, next to the engine vents and under a souped up Blackhawk helicopter hovering 40 feet above the deck.

Now I happen to have had the pleasure of meeting both d-a and workin and if I were tasked with providing a Michelin Guide to exclusive 5-star hotels along the Texas Coast, these two individuals would be the first two I would hire as consultants for an evaluation of good taste in accommodations. :cool: Unlike the two of them, I actually showered in my room and found the towels to be entirely adequate. The television, on the other hand, sucked like fat girl drinking a rootbeer float through a soda straw--every channel had Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, or Barney Frank on it.

In that same vein, I agree with Doug that his car would have been safe in the parking lot, with the Georgia license plates clearly alerting any potential thief that neither it nor the room it was parked in front of were likely to contain anything whatsoever of value.

I found an aerial photo of the motel on the internet, that was taken from a Sopwith Camel in 1917, so that alone is an assurance that the place has an historic tradition.

Finally, I would like to state that no roaches, silverfish, or pathogenic bacteria were actually killed or injured in creating this post.

Russ

11. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

I saw the days inn on my way to the Hearth R&S we should have stopped there.D-a insisted on the Hearth the guy dear hunts too much and has become a creature of habit.
    Breakfast at the Port Cafe was better than I expected and just a block or two away from the Hearth in case you decide not to take advantage of the free spa breakfast at the Hearth.

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I saw the days inn on my way to the Hearth R&S we should have stopped there.D-a insisted on the Hearth the guy dear hunts too much and has become a creature of habit.
    Breakfast at the Port Cafe was better than I expected and just a block or two away from the Hearth in case you decide not to take advantage of the free spa breakfast at the Hearth.

Now wait a minute, I was sleeping when you decided on were to stay. If it was up to me we would have stayed within stumbling distance of the adult entertainment complex.

d-a

13. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I have to say that I too have stayed at the motel in question, and it was outstanding. I found the "no smoking signs" on the doors to be in excellent shape and on top of that, the odor of burnt tobacco inside the "non smoking" room itself was about 10 percent less offensive than your average bar in a North African whorehouse. Moreover, the brown stains on the carpet were uniform enough that they resembled the bottom of a hippopotamus cage, rather than just a single spot where someone had experienced severe stomach problems. The ice container had very little organic matter clinging to its edges, and the coffee pot did not work, thus protecting me from any possible ebola virus from that source. The noise of the air conditioner (which I was pleasantly surprised to find in working condition) allowed me to prepare my ears for the later experience of standing on the decks of the Big E, next to the engine vents and under a souped up Blackhawk helicopter hovering 40 feet above the deck.

Now I happen to have had the pleasure of meeting both d-a and workin and if I were tasked with providing a Michelin Guide to exclusive 5-star hotels along the Texas Coast, these two individuals would be the first two I would hire as consultants for an evaluation of good taste in accommodations. :cool: Unlike the two of them, I actually showered in my room and found the towels to be entirely adequate. The television, on the other hand, sucked like fat girl drinking a rootbeer float through a soda straw--every channel had Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, or Barney Frank on it.

In that same vein, I agree with Doug that his car would have been safe in the parking lot, with the Georgia license plates clearly alerting any potential thief that neither it nor the room it was parked in front of were likely to contain anything whatsoever of value.

I found an aerial photo of the motel on the internet, that was taken from a Sopwith Camel in 1917, so that alone is an assurance that the place has an historic tradition.

Finally, I would like to state that no roaches, silverfish, or pathogenic bacteria were actually killed or injured in creating this post.

Russ

Russ...Russ...Russ, where do I begin? No wonder your an Lawyer.

While there was a smoke smell in the room it wasn't you normal tobacco smell. It was incense laced with a faint hint of Mary J. I would have thought you would remember that smell from you "make love not war days" back in the 70's.

For a $55 dollar room, what kind of coffee maker and ice bucket did you expect?:eek:

It wasn't a black hawk that snatched snagged, it was a French made Dauphin.

As far as being a a Michelin guide to 5-star hotels, I thought the hotel was an accurate representation of Texas. Cheap, run down, and smelly.;)

Oh yea Just how many North African Whore houses have you been in?

d-a

14. workin

workin Member

Russ

OOOOOhhoooo, hoo hoo nnn eeeeooooo noo no stop! Stop it! I can't take it! You're killin' me!! Russ, fisherman of tender breeding!! Yaaaaaaaahahahah! Oho, my sides are killin' me! OOhoooooohoooohaahahah!!! I can't stand it!!

15. jureal

jureal Senior Member

Sooooooooooo, Russ....You liked the place?

16. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

did they have a mint on the pillow for you?

17. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

OOOOOhhoooo, hoo hoo nnn eeeeooooo noo no stop! Stop it! I can't take it! You're killin' me!! Russ, fisherman of tender breeding!! Yaaaaaaaahahahah! Oho, my sides are killin' me! OOhoooooohoooohaahahah!!! I can't stand it!!
    __________________HaHaHa LoL....I'ts not a Hemi .............

It is a Gulf coast fishing/oifield town Hotel and the best within 100 yards of the dock..two times I've crashed there after the old 60hr trips. I'd show up friday pay and get a key for a room for Sunday night. So no muss no fuss when dog tired on Sunday night. Back up the truck & put rods and other good stuff in the room and sleep. It was fine for that. This was beter than the trip back to east Houston. which as only 80 miles but those trips where on the Capt Casey which was Fri am early to Sunday late, no bunks, 60 hrs offshore. Not being on the road afterwards was a public service on my part.
    The outside of the Hotel apeares the same as 15 yrs ago .
    As I said best Hotel within 100 yards of the Docks.

Anybody remember the Stryker Motel and Restruant in Port O'conner?
    Or the Little Fish\La Bon Ton in Venince? These were oil field motels for sure..
    Life is good, so are memories.

Hope the boat fishes again soon.

18. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Workin: Get control, Boy--it wasn't that funny! ;)

Doug: Wrong again about ancient history, little Buddy, the "make love, not war" days were in the '60s, not the '70s! :)

Skeeter: No mint--but there was something on the pillow which at first I thought looked like a Baby Ruth candy bar, but when I bit off about half of it--in retrospect, I'm pretty sure Gunsmoke had been there earlier. :eek:

jureal: You hit the nail on the head--I really do like the place--reasonable--the AC works, and it's right across the street from the boat. And I was definitely too harsh on the place--there were no pests whatsoever. I have no doubt the reason for that is that the rats and the roaches all run over to the cleaning tables across the street and chow down on raw tuna--and die on the spot.

I gotta tell you, the sleeziest place I ever stayed at on the coast was the Palm Motel in Aransas Pass: 20 bucks a night (about 10 years ago--it's probably about 22 bucks now) and the room was so bad it offended even me--and I pretty much have the requirements of dog rolling around in roadkill. And when I went out to Highway 35 to make a call on the pay phone, I saw a woman walking across the parking lot who weighed about 220 and was wearing a pair of tight green shorts, a halter top, and blood-stained white shrimpers boots. She had varicose veins on every exposed surface and wrinkles on her wrinkles. (I later saw her picture on the website for the Center for Disease Control.) If the fasteners on her shorts or halter had broken at that exact moment, it would have registered a 4.3 on the seismograph in Berkely, California. And I would not be around to discover how much money I've lost in the last year. :D

But as she disappeared down the street--she smiled at me. And when I saw her teeth--those that were still present--it changed my life.

Russ

Russ