fourchon 5/30-31 tomeny charters

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by kidflex, Jun 2, 2009.

1. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

5/30/09.

scott pretty much summed it up in his quick post. we met up at the docks in port fourchon with the anticipation of big GOM YFT. list of attendees which i like to call the Dirty Dozen!

Brian(kidflex)
    toney(toneyC)
    Fred(gimmedeal)
    scott(bellyups)
    dewayne(bigscrnman)
    Frank(workin)
    George(snappergeorge)
    Rick(wishin4fishin)
    robert(2busy)
    mike(cajuntuna)
    todd(dirtywhiteboy)
    mike(theoriginaldirtywhiteboy)
    [​IMG]

The seas were looking great and the weather was perfect. this was looking too good to be true (especially for Frank). we got our gear ready for the battle that would lie ahead. Woke up early and started loading the boat. the boat was the louisiana a perfext boat for jigging and popping.
    [​IMG]
    we hit a couple of small rigs to get some live hardtails in the boat. i jigged up a nice red snapper that we released unharmed! after 20 hardtails we headed out into deeper waters. We made it out to some rigs in about 300ft to jig up some ajs and grouper.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the first 2 rigs were slow, maybe due to the discharge that the rigs were putting out. the 3rd rig in 480 ft was the big producer. Everyone dropped jigs and all hell broke loose. multiple hook ups, douples, triples, even quads! this was todd and his dads first jigging trip(first aj hook ups for that matter)
    todd getting to know the power of the aj
    [​IMG]
    his dad mike getting on some action as well
    [​IMG]
    todds first aj!
    [​IMG]
    one of many multiple hookups
    [​IMG]
    frank with an aj
    [​IMG]
    mike(cajuntuna) 1st aj also
    [​IMG]

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

quad hook up!, deep snowy grouper(funny story on that later)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fred getting bent
    [​IMG]
    Rick feeling the pain(i think he actually likes it)
    [​IMG]
    one of many almaco jacks(assaco jacks if you ask gman)
    [​IMG]
    during this time one of the deck hands is trying to unhook an aj and the fish flops out and he gets a hook in finger. was pretty deep but was cut out and he marched on!
    We had to leave during a nonstop bite to be able to make it to the floaters. no one objected. we fired up the grill and drank beer.
    me workin on some korean BBQ
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    while grilling, i decided to go ahead and cook up that little grouper. the deckhand pulls the thing out still alive after 2 hours! he placed it on the cutting board ready to make some fillets. the damn frouper flops around and jumps right into the grill! knocked over the marinade container. wow! this wouldve looked staged if caught on video. tht will never happer again in our lifetimes. (snappergeorge post the pic of the fish in the grill)

3. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Hey man, did we get a shot of tonyc busting that wei world on the warsaw?

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

Finally the lights of Holstein spar about 110 miles out. some get their jigging rods out and the others with the poppers. it took a little time for the fish to warm up. the black fins were thick, and as scott mentioned overfed! these were some very nice blackfins. on one pass the yellowfins showed up busting on top. multiple cast were made with toney having some yellows spitting the lures out. finally mike hooks up! his first yellowfin! he gets walked around the boat but he got it in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    toney hooks up shortly after.
    [​IMG]
    snapper george hooks into one then myself. these were around 40-50lb yellows
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the yellows left and the blacks returned with a vengeance
    nice blackfins
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the night consited of many BFT an cudas. we headed to another floater called green canyon 254. we arrived to ghostly platform and the sea was dead calm. with a slight haze over the water it looked very creepy. instantly the top began coming alive. we bombarded the tunas with a barrage of topwater plugs. i had a hook up with a nice fish that had my TN-87 hurting but got off shortly. a few more misses and the bite went dead.

morning arrives with the anticipation of the morning tuna bite. they bite for sure. just way out of casting distance.
    we elave to go back to the deep rig for some more jigging action
    instantly multiple hook ups!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/5627/dscf2158v.jpg
    fred and the famous smith amj52ex
    http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8966/dscf2160b.jpg
    http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/4118/dscf2164.jpg

5. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

this rig had variety of species caught. and the action was consistent for 2 days.
    [​IMG]
    frank and a nice BFT
    [​IMG]
    mikes first bft
    [​IMG]
    frank with a long fin sea bass?
    [​IMG]
    dewayne and his deep water surprise
    [​IMG]
    frank borrows toney rod to see what a hot wei world is all about. drops a PTI jitterbel 420 to the bottom. hooks up but had injured his finger earlier with braid and was out of comission since toney has his spinner handles on the queer side. so he handed to rod back to toney to reel in. team work! 45lb warsaw
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    rick decides to drop a livie to the bottom and got rewarded this 50lb aj
    [​IMG]
    frank with another snowy
    [​IMG]

all in all this was a great trip. i got to fish with some of yall for the first time and some others many times now. although the yellows were not thick and cooperative, we ended up with a healthy supply of meat.
    couple of points to make on this trip.

robert(2busy) he is a silent killer. i never saw him with out his rod bent!

fred(gimmedeal)-sorrry about your tuna sniper. fred has a new appreciation for his JDM stella since he dropped the butt section in the water with unattatched braid! luckily the deckhand was able to grad the last 5ft of braid
    mike, todd, mike- congrats on catching your firsts, ajs yft, and bft. also welcome to the jigging and popping world.

dewayne-thanks for your geberosity at dinner. also the coors light during the trip. go get some more spinners now! hahaha

this was great group of fishermen that i would not hesitate to fish again with. i hope everyone had a great time like i had. please post up more pics. these were the ones i had on my camera. some pics i coudnt download that yall had sent to my email. thanks again to capt tomeny, a great captain. looking forward to the next time! see ya. peace! Brian

6. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Great report! those longtail sea bass are about as big as they get, one of the best eating fish in the Gulf!

7. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Frank also somehow managed to catch a flounder! I don't know the story.
    Great report Brian!!

8. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

dewayne-no pics of the wei world.

scott-that flounder was caught on a 14oz hammered diamond jig! lol.

9. rtran

rtran Senior Member

nice report bro

10. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Awesome post and pics looks action packed.Korean BBQ is bad azz with kailbe marinade and brown suger..might have to make some.

11. snappergeorge

snappergeorge Member

Attached Files:

12. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Awesome post and pics looks action packed.Korean BBQ is bad azz with kailbe marinade and brown suger..might have to make some.

The barbecue was great!! Thanks Brian!

13. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

Man you should try the BBQ thing on some AJ, did that last night YUMMY!!!!!

14. bulllred

bulllred Senior Member

Nice report keep the pics comming.

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

nice report guys, looks like there was very good bottomfishing even if the tuna didnt cooperate as you wanted.

16. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

bret isnt that a pargo chino?

17. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

hey john,

Can you ask macho if that picture above is a pargo chino the pink and yellow snapper looking fish with the long dorsal spine

18. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

hey john,

Can you ask macho if that picture above is a pargo chino the pink and yellow snapper looking fish with the long dorsal spine

I actually caught one last Saturday but I forgot to take picture and we release the fish , I might have one in my archives

19. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

I really enjoyed this trip, even though I broke my HOTs :rolleyes:. I enjoyed fishing with the old crew and it was a pleasure to meet some new fishermen.

The sunrise after leaving the dock was quite a site
    [​IMG]

Here's a shot of the nice snapper Brian jigged up while we were catching bait
    [​IMG]

The fisherman on the rail is Robert. His new nick name is Jigga Pimp. This dude is a machine! They must put some kind engery booster in the water in Oklahoma. I think he boated half the black fin on this trip
    [​IMG]

George's best Fonz impersonation
    [​IMG]

Here is the deck hand that took an assist hook in the finger. There is nothing a paper towel and a little tape won't fix. He was a champ after the coonass surgery and kept on fishn'
    [​IMG]

This is what you call total exhaustion. I walked to the front of the boat and this deck hand was catching a nap on our way to another rig. I almost put a chalk line around him
    [​IMG]

Here's Brian with what I believe this is one of those fat Blackfin
    [​IMG]