360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Returned home Wednesday morning at 0200.

Overall a successful trip even though I only caught two game fish.

The trip was a four day charter on the Pacific Voyager, 16 anglers all friends who know how to fish.

Day one was spent on the West Side of San Clemente Island where there was a fleet of charter and private boats. We set the hook and promptly caught every single Bonita within a miles range with a Yellowtail here and there. Captain Mark decided to move us to the inside a bit more to try and get a way from the Boners but they followed us. After awhile it was decided to move, we had maybe 10 Yellowtail total.

We started to head over to Tanner Bank and while on the way we trolled and flew the kite.

The kite lure was a California Flyer which is a bad ass lure that looks and acts like a flying fish.

It wasn’t in the water but 5 minutes and it was getting rolled on. Shortly after it was taken and it was game on.

I was on the kite and an hour plus later a nice 130 pound Bluefin was coming over the rail. A personal best for me which my buddy’s said didn’t count because it was on the kite. I’m counting it anyway.

Once at Tanner Bank we set the hook and began a night of jigging for Bluefin. Wasn’t long till we had multiple hook ups and the rail dance was on. Lots of sub 100 pound fish coming over the rail with two guys on something big.

Pete landed his fish two hours later, a real bruiser in the 160-180 pound class. Jeremy got his up to the boat twice but some how he ended up with a birds nest and it snapped off after over two hours.

Later that night Travis landed his first Cow Bluefin weighing in at 210 plus pounds.

Day two we woke up on Tanner Bank to find out the Boners had found us again. I can only imagine how much premium bait was lost to the Boneheads on this trip but it was a lot.

A few Yellowtail and Sheepsheads were caught too and one Barracuda.

Captain Mark decided to head south to Tanner Bank so back on the troll we went. At some point the kite was brought back out, I let them use my 100 pound kit as the kite rod a decision I’d soon regret.

Out went the California Flyer lure and it was even in position yet when a monster of a Bluefin took it and started heading to Mexico. My kit was a Calstar Grafighter matched with a Penn International 20 VISW with 500 yards of 100 pound spectra. It was spooled in less than 3 minutes. So I was done with night fishing for the remainder of the trip.

Captain Mark pulled out another California Flyer (these are $200 lures) and this time we used a boat rod on the kite. Up it went and no exaggeration it was crushed by another large Bluefin. Unfortunately the reel had a mechanical failure and the line snapped.

Not to be discouraged Captain Mark pulled out another California Flyer, we rigged Matt’s 100 pound kit and off it went. Within minutes it was hit and game on. Two plus hours and three anglers later a 274 pound Bluefin comes over the rail.

Once we reached Tanner Bank we set the hook. The weather was starting to get cold and the wind was really blowing. Yellowtail’s were there but not in numbers. The Boneheads were though…

From about 8pm till the morning it was rough, I nearly rolled out of my rack, I was happy to learn no one got sick.

Day Three still on Tanner Bank. I was getting bit but only on light tackle, 20 pound and the Yellowtails dove straight down into the rocks. A lot of us were getting sawed off but they just wouldn’t bit on heavier kits. Deckhand Mitch was throwing a surface iron and hooked up, he handed me the rod. My first and only Yellowtail of the trip.

Day four was pretty much a boat ride. We trolled for hours searching for paddy’s working out was as far east as the 425. Boneheads were caught on the troll and two Dorado were pulled off the only small paddy we found. We pulled the plug around 1pm and started to head home.

Side note, the Bluefin wanted nothing to do with flat falls for this trip. The money lure were knife jigs in the 500 gram range.

Only bad part of the trip was my car was broken into at the Seaforth Parking lot. They cleaned me out...

Cloud Water Sky Mountain Blue
Shoe Flooring Floor Artist Fish
Food Sleeve Fish Fin Recreation
Wood Grey Door Fin Metal
Naval architecture Boat Water Crew Workwear
Marlin Swordfish Atlantic blue marlin Fin Bermuda shorts
Water Vertebrate Fin Fish Fish products
Water Boat Shorts Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Naval architecture

·
Registered
85 Posts
When jigging at night, did you fish jigs with glow paint? I have zero experience jigging at night. What an ideal fishing trip for a group of friends! Can I be your friend? Pretty Please? 🙏

·
Registered
23 Posts
Awesome trip . Must have been a big one if you got spooled that fast. Do you remember by chance what were you drag setting at strike and at full ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap at Seaforth parking lot. I hear stories about it lately from guys having their cars broken into to people stealing their catalytic converters. I had a buddy of mine literally catch the guy in the act , he managed to cut the pipe and was trying to pull it out when my buddy showed up. I don’t want to bash Cali as I love San Diego but I don’t think it’s getting better over the years .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks like a good trip and some nice fish. Sorry to hear about your vehicle getting ransacked, it's a problem all over the country, pretty bad here in Florida too in broad daylight they wil smash and grab.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When jigging at night, did you fish jigs with glow paint?
Some use glow, I do. However I'm of the opinion if you stick it in front of them they're going to inhale it. Just as many fish were caught at night without glow.

Do you remember by chance what were you drag setting at strike and at full ?
The reel was set on strike three but was quickly put into full. My Penn 20 didn't have a chance. We only saw it when it hit the lure, we estimated it to be 7 foot. Wish the cameras were ready, it happened so quickly.

Can you show a picture of the 500g knife jig?
I don't own one, yet. I have every flat fall known to man but for this trip at least they wanted noting to do with flat falls. I found this picture on Google, it's on the bottom.

I'd suggest 200 pound mono leader at the least. Those California Flyer lures were rigged with 400 pound leaders.

THIEF'S SUCK.

I have insurance but they are lucky my friends and I didn't catch them in the act. My car wasn't the only one broke into, I heard one car or truck was stolen but didn't confirm.

Worse part was finding and buying new ice chests.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for the report and a bummer about your car vehicle getting prowled. That sucks. Headed out of seaforth on a 2.5 at the end of this month, only time will tell if everyone will still be fishing the banks or if there will be some offshore action down south. Hoping for the latter but good to know what worked if we end up in that situation. Enjoyable read despite the unfortunatel ending…

·
Registered
118 Posts
What boat?

It's damn near impossible to find an empty seat on the Pacific Voyager.

Want to look into other boats for other dates.
I’m going on a charter on the Aztec. If you look on BD there’s a bunch of people trying to fill spots at the end of the month on good local boats. There’s one on the Endeavor (Tucker McCombs newish boat), which would probably be my choice if I wasn’t already on this one. I’m pretty sure mine has a few spots to fill as well, so if you are interested send me a pm and I can get you pointed in the right direction… cheers,
Eric

·
Registered
2 Posts
Really great report.
That knife jig looks like a Daiwa SK, but I could be wrong about that. They are really effective. I think they get down in the "zone" faster.
Sorry about the break-in. That sucks. One of the pluses about fishing out of Seaforth is the plentiful and free parking.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hat knife jig looks like a Daiwa SK, but I could be wrong about that.
There are many variants but all are pretty much alike.

And yes they do get down fast.

I'd never had issues at Seaforth before, as I mentioned I wasn't the only one broke into so it was obviously a concentrated effort.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Do you remember by chance what were you drag setting at strike and at full ?
Sorry J.plugger.

I was rereading your post and didn't realize what you were asking (DUH).

Penn International 20 VISX

Drag at strike is 34 pounds at full strike.

Full is 50 pounds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts