Flying Fish Popping Slider - Take 2

Discussion in 'Lure Building' started by flyguy, Oct 23, 2016.

1. flyguy

flyguy Senior Member

I mostly fish out of Wilmington, NC and topwater blackfin in fall is one of my favorite times of year. Heading out on Saturday with Capt Mike Jackson and hoping to find them chasing flyers. I have another post on here for a big 4.5oz 7 inch version I made when I owned an OTI Ocean Extreme 40/60. I've sold that rod and went with a lighter Major Craft Giant Killing 74 Buri and that other lure is way too big. I learned from my original that the tail was too fat and I missed strikes so not only is this version smaller for the new rod at 2.5oz and 6 inches, I've narrowed the tail-end so hopefully I'm not missing as many fish. It has a nice walk-the-dog/skitter/splashing action that will hopefully fool some blackfin into thinking it's an injured flyer. We'll see on Saturday!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    Gonefishings, bnz, porcha and 2 others like this.
  2. Fightingfish

Fightingfish Well-Known Member

Sharp looking! Give it a Japanese name and charge people 80 bucks for it!

RevPDP, Gonefishings and flyguy like this.

3. Kim

Kim Senior Member

That's a sharp looking lure and swimming the way it does should get you some hook ups.

flyguy likes this.
  4. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

Very nice work

flyguy likes this.
  5. Oberyn Martell

Oberyn Martell Member

Nice lure . How do you like that Majorcraft KG .
    Recently bought one to use it as stickbait rod.

flyguy likes this.
  6. flyguy

flyguy Senior Member

Unfortunately the hurricane last month blew out the tuna. I didn't have the opportunity to use the rod or the lure.

7. flyguy

flyguy Senior Member

Finally got a chance to try out the lure. This guy tried to inhale it!

I need to mess with the weighting a little bit. It sits perfect in the water, but flutters like a knuckle ball when I cast it. Didn't get much distance at all. To be continued....

[​IMG]

8. Kim

Kim Senior Member

FG I have a lot of lures that cast like a tumbling stick and all that tumble like that aren't distance casting baits. That being aid most of them do catch fish so ...... I live with it. if I was a lure builder like you I would experiment and see what I could do. Keep us posted on your progress. No doubt that the lure drew a predatory strike!

How do you like the quick clips?

9. flyguy

flyguy Senior Member

It was my first time using quick clips and they worked great. I switched between my popper and a halco max quite often and the clips made it fast and easy.

10. rrocco

rrocco New Member

Beautiful plug and a proven killer! Do you have any weight in the tail? Love using the quick clips as well.

11. flyguy

flyguy Senior Member

I put the weight between the belly hook and rear hook. My priority is to have it sit almost level on the surface. The technique we use for blackfin is to cast out and let it sit. Idea being that when it lands it's an injured/stunned flyer. Most of the hits come while it's dead in the water vs. on the retrieve. With the weight where it is, the lure sits perfect on the water with it's head just a little above the tail so on the retrieve I can make a little commotion and/or walk the dog and then let it sit again. I'll experiment with adding a little more weight towards the tail but priority will always be to have it as level as possible on the surface to present a silhouette to the tuna below.

12. rrocco

rrocco New Member

Sounds like you have the action down. Wouldn't sacrifice the action for distance in this case. Some lure manufactures have figured out to have both by having a chamber in the lure where the weight slides to the tail during the cast and moves back to the belly once in the water.

13. flyguy

flyguy Senior Member

Yup, that's the best way to weight a lure like this but I haven't attempted something that advanced yet. My hope is to have time to build one with internal shifting weight before the blackfin run this fall.