flutter jigs

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by etan, May 22, 2009.

1. etan

etan Senior Member

I just bought a mold for 7 & 9 oz. flutter jigs. When I make them I plan to just attach a swivel rather than use a split ring and solid ring for the assist hooks. What do you think the pros and cons of this technique would be?

2. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Etan,

I pour my own Cod Jigs and i employ the same method (barrel swivel straight to the thru wire). In my opinion there are only "pro's", no "con's". Pro's are obviously, no split ring, which should make your rig more reliable and stronger and less hardware down there.

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I just bought a mold for 7 & 9 oz. flutter jigs. When I make them I plan to just attach a swivel rather than use a split ring and solid ring for the assist hooks. What do you think the pros and cons of this technique would be?

How are you going to attach the assist hook?

d-a

4. etan

etan Senior Member

The assist hook will be through the top ring of the swivel or looped around the wire below the top ring.

5. gman

gman Senior Member

The pro is I believe you should always use a swivel to fight against line twist and give you some tooth protection. attach the assist hook to the top swivel loop

The con with the way your proposing to set it up is every time you want to switch out a jig you need to cut the entire rig off, because you dont have a split ring and re tie.

Thats the benefit of having split rings. I tied my outfits once before I leave teh dock. Leader to swivel to split ring to jig. I only re tie if my leader is chaffed (and that isnt often as the swivel/split ring takes most of the abuse) and whenever I need to change out I just change the jig out. The hook, the swivel and the split ring all stay attached to my leader at all times

6. etan

etan Senior Member

Thats right about the split rings for switching but I always retie when I change lure anyhow. I can tie good knots but I'm a clutz with split ring pliers etc.

7. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Get yourself a good pair of SR pliers like the OR ones. Makes changing split rings a cinch.

8. gman

gman Senior Member

Thats right about the split rings for switching but I always retie when I change lure anyhow. I can tie good knots but I'm a clutz with split ring pliers etc.

If you get a good pair of spilt ring pliers you will save a ton of fishing time and leader by not cutting and re tying all the time.

9. etan

etan Senior Member

I'm too old and set in my ways. Besides I can tie knots without glasses and I can't even see the split ring grooves without them. Its tough getting old.

10. red34

red34 Guest

I just bought this same mold and I can not figure out how to get a clean lure. I started a thread asking for help with lead, but I wanted to see if you are getting perfectly shaped jigs?

If so, what's the trick?

11. etan

etan Senior Member

I can't help you yet because I just ordered the mold today. When I get it I'll post a report on my results. I'm sure the results will be pretty primitive because I'm not very artistic.

12. red34

red34 Guest

I think I finally figured it out. I've cranked out about 25 jigs so far and I probably have over 60 lbs of lead to go.

No one will confuse my jigs with a Shimano butterfly, but They look pretty sweet and the price is definately right!! I'm into the mold, inserts, and melting pot for around $100 and with the free lead, I'll be able to produce several hundred dollars worth of jigs.

13. red34

red34 Guest

Here are some of the ones I've made:

[​IMG]

Completed Jigs

[​IMG]

Blanks and reduced down wheel weights

[​IMG]

Here's the mold.

[​IMG]

14. Depraved

Depraved Cabo is a POS

i know this is an old thread but was wondering how they came out and did they work good? Last just as long as other store bought jigs or are they weaker?

lite-liner likes this.
  15. Rainbowrunner

Rainbowrunner Fishing Guru

It is an oldie!

I'm with Nate though. I can cut and re-tie way easier than I can fumble around with my glasses and split ring pliers. And yes, I own some "good" pliers.

Dale

16. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I'm interested, too. That looks like the BPS jig, which has an awesome action.
    need more info, is this the mold you bought, Etan?

17. Depraved

Depraved Cabo is a POS

i got the mold just havent tried it and was wondering how hard they are compared to store bought since lead is soft

18. holy cow

holy cow Senior Member

Anyone hear back from RED34!

19. Swimbait

Swimbait Member

You can use tire weights. The clip on ones are very hard. You can also go to the scrap yard and get lead. Just use a hammer or piece of steel and bang the pieces your interested in. Soft lead makes a thud and hard led more of a ching. If you do wheel weights make sure you don't mix zinc in with lead.

20. Depraved

Depraved Cabo is a POS

Just finished my 1st batch 16 9oz and 20 7oz
    I don't like the notch out on the side but that's just how they come out and I'm not spending 10mins per jig with a tiny saw to make them perfect

Anyone have any easy way to paint them or special spray paint?
    I was planning on spray painting them then adding some foil then maybe a clear coat of paint on top?

Attached Files: