fluro to mainline

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Tunahunter, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Tunahunter

Tunahunter Guest

When chunking, how are u guys tieing the mainline to the fluro line. Or are u just useing a small swivel?

2. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

I've seen even charter captains use that method on their roller rods. I think more common is a loop to loop connection between fluoro topshot and braid mainline. I'm still using what I learned first, a bimini and an Albright. Then again, I don't chunk near as much as I used to.

Fred

3. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

I buy 75ft topshops from Basil at BHP Tackle and connect via loop to loop.

4. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I buy 75ft topshops from Basil at BHP Tackle and connect via loop to loop.

I agree, for chunking with Conventional reels, the BHP tackle topshots are the way to go. Topshots (windons with a lot of leader) make a 100% connection, they are easily retrieved onto the spool, and there is no chance of damaging your guides.

I evaluated several windons in this post: http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/hollow-spectra-iii-commercial-windon-leaders-5187/

And really took testing of the BHP Tackle leaders to an extreme here: http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f3/hollow-spectra-iv-glued-serve-strength-test-5257/

Swivels between mainline and leader, even the little ones: require two knots, each of which weakens the line, create two places to make mistakes, and can quickly damage guides. Every time I've put a swivel on the mainline and attach a short piece of leader, vowing I would not reel it into the guides ... Other than that, they're great. ;)

5. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

For proper chunking you really do need a swivel because your bait will often spin somewhat in the current. I use a Sampo 150lb ball bearing swivel attached with a Palomar to a ~7' Fluorocarbon leader.

6. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

Pametfisher, Your earlier posts on wind-on construction were very informative. I've been using Basil's leaders for several years and have never had one fail.

7. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

For chunking reel capacity is most likely not a problem. Braid or mono.
    If braid connect 50 to 100 yd mono top shot, Bimini & cats paw or Page Ranking. Then spro power wind-on 150-250 lb swivel 7 ft floro leader.
    More knots yes but easier to change leader once worn by fish teeth.

Lots of choices

8. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

I fish during the day so I don't want a swivel anywhere in the picture which is why I like to start out with 75ft and cut back as required. Line twist is usually not a problem as often the fish are right at the boat often in sight. I cut a slit in the chunk and slide a small circle in there so it's hidden and pulls out if you have to reel it in after a drift. I'm always pulling line off the rod so the chunk is never spinning in the current. There is nothing like 3 or 4 big yellows swimming around 10 feet of the transom to get your heart pumping.

9. Tunahunter

Tunahunter Guest

The main line is mono and the leader is floro.

10. DoubleA

DoubleA Senior Member

i have heard loop to loop is the best - i still tie my uni-uni for all leader/braid connections.

the cool kids all run bimini/albright. :)

11. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

I assumed you were talking braid to flouro, and you know what they say asumming! anyway, years ago Peace Marvel and his crew used to join thier mono and flouro with a small swivel before they found better ways. they used bigfoot windon guides and I guess it worked out ok. if you're fishing at night a swivel and short leader should work fine. where are you fishing by the way?

12. Tunahunter

Tunahunter Guest

Going out of Venice to Green Canyon