Fluorocarbon/Spectra Color

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Cibilo, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Cibilo

Cibilo Guest

Going tuna fishing for first time soon and getting my gear all set up. Been looking at fluorocarbon leader material and have found that the stren tinted fluorocarbon is the cheapest per foot. Anyone have experience with it? The colors are Coral Mist, Gunsmoke, and Tannic, what color do yall think would be best for night time jigging in the gulf for BFT. Also I am going to switch from mono to spectra on my reel and was wondering if color of spectra plays that much of a difference when fishing with say a 3-5foot fluorocarbon leader? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

By all means choose GUNSMOKE !!!!!!!!!:D

You won't regret it.

3. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

BF are not line shy, so I wouldn't bother with it for them.
    I use white spectra because the coloring agents negate the use of adhesives.

4. Pope

Pope Senior Member

Spectra is great jor jigging. No stretch and easy hook sets. Having a leader will not effect that at all. Also, just as Jerry said, blackfin are not line shy when jigging, not much is. I wouldn't bother with flourocarbon unless I was fly-lining live bait or chunking. I have never used FC when jigging.

5. AJ hunter

AJ hunter Guest

Spectra is great jor jigging. No stretch and easy hook sets. Having a leader will not effect that at all. Also, just as Jerry said, blackfin are not line shy when jigging, not much is. I wouldn't bother with flourocarbon unless I was fly-lining live bait or chunking. I have never used FC when jigging.

Spectra is a great line. However, I would use fluorocarbon leader even for jigging because of abrasion resistance. In addition, I prefer a leader made of something optically colorless such as Seaguar. The refractive index is near 1.0 (same as water) so it can't be seen in water regardless of the water color or depth.

6. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

FC for jigging BFT is sort of like drinking a bottle of Petrus w/ a big mac.