Flouro or Mono, does it really matter?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Enoch, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Hi guys. i know it does matter but how?

Should I use mono or flouro for jigging bft when connecting from PE-8 Daiwa boat braid? Do I need at least #100 or over #100?

Would the flouro give me that "edge" if bft are line shy? Is it that easy? If so, then I will allways consider using it over MONO. This is for Northeast coast BFT.

Price isnt an issue because I dont want to watch the next guy hooking up while I'm not.

Flouro I've researched:

Varivas Shock Leader
    FISHERMAN Stealth Leader

MONO:

?

Thanks for all the help guys. I really do appreciate all the PM's and comments... and sticky guide posts.

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

my answer is yes. fluoro is tougher to cast with since it is stiffer, though to be honest i havent had that many problems with brands like blackwater.

but yes ive seen tuna be line shy for jigging. this was slow jigging like you'll see on most party boats. they were even shy to fluoro one day.

for conventionals i always start with fluoro for tuna since it doesnt hinder casting as much as with spinning.

its all personal preference. often times it wont matter. to give you an idea i packed 6 or 7 leader spools for panama (yeah overkill but theyre all partial spools so i threw them all in) and i think 4 are fluoro and 3 arent.

3. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Bret,

Thanks for the quick reply. My idea would be to prepare with both.
    So If I decided to purchase flouro would I need to get it over #100lbs since my braid is PE-8?

I can't do #50 seagaur with PE-8 braid right?

Also, I know that the amount of leader needs to be long enough to wrap 3-4 times around the spool while the fish is boat side to prevent any braid rubbing on the hull. Can the thicker leader be used as a mates "handle" at when it's over #100lb?

I've allways believed that being prepared will get/give you the advantage!

thank you man!

Enoch

my answer is yes. fluoro is tougher to cast with since it is stiffer, though to be honest i havent had that many problems with brands like blackwater.

but yes ive seen tuna be line shy for jigging. this was slow jigging like you'll see on most party boats. they were even shy to fluoro one day.

for conventionals i always start with fluoro for tuna since it doesnt hinder casting as much as with spinning.

its all personal preference. often times it wont matter. to give you an idea i packed 6 or 7 leader spools for panama (yeah overkill but theyre all partial spools so i threw them all in) and i think 4 are fluoro and 3 arent.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i think most pe-8 line is 80lb anyway, but thats just me being conservative i guess.

but.......you can use 50lb, there wouldnt be any problem. i normally use leader that is as strong or stronger as my line, so with pe8 id normally use 80lb at least to start. but yeah if theyre not hitting that and youre marking fish then theres no reason you cant use lighter. i know guys who will use line down to 40lb if tuna are line shy.

5. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Very cool. Good advice...
    I'd just need to feel the situation out then and set the drag to compensate for lighter leader or mind the amount of english during the fight right?

6. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Flouro I've researched:

Varivas Shock Leader
    FISHERMAN Stealth Leader

Both the Varivas Shock Leader and Fisherman Stealth are Mono leaders, not Flouro... Varivas does make a Flouro leader though, so maybe you're referring to that one.

7. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Thanks for the reply Lordhell. this is real research! :)

Which do you use for bft in this situation?

8. Milton

Milton Senior Member

I was in NC 3 weeks ago. Lost a few fish with #100. Just put #130 Varivas on my 20000sw today. Hope get them next time.

9. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

I was in NC 3 weeks ago. Lost a few fish with #100. Just put #130 Varivas on my 20000sw today. Hope get them next time.

Thanks for the reply Milton. Where you chasing Amberjack? what rod setup?
    Good luck when your headed back there...

I'm booking Capt. Rick as we speak.

10. Milton

Milton Senior Member

I just got the carpenter One Hundred - OH56MH with 20000sw, Varivas 10*10 Max [email protected] crazy. just put 130lb mono leader. I hope to see some AJ next trip though. last trip to Oregon Inlet, NC. with Capt. Ned, Wildfire charter. he is a very, very,very good Capt. the boat was nice too.

11. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

That Carpenter OH56MH is a badass Beast of a rod Milton, you will love it. Enoch, tuna can get line shy, you should start with 100lb varivas and go down to 80lb if necessary. 100lb should be more than enough, just make sure your reel has enough line for BFT fishing.

12. Milton

Milton Senior Member

That Carpenter OH56MH is a badass Beast of a rod Milton, you will love it. Enoch, tuna can get line shy, you should start with 100lb varivas and go down to 80lb if necessary. 100lb should be more than enough, just make sure your reel has enough line for BFT fishing.
    Do you think 130# leader is way too much or can be worked with?

13. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Do you think 130# leader is way too much or can be worked with?

Sure man, u can work with it, if u don't get bit for awhile, try downgrading to 100lb, then 80lb. There are guys who have gone down to 60lbs to get bit. It just depends on how picky the fish are. It's easy to change out if u got wind-on leaders, or if you're very proficient with making a PR knot while on boat and or middle of night/low vision situation.

14. Milton

Milton Senior Member

oh man, it takes me 10 min to make that pr knoton my desk. God knows how long it takes on the boat? and change 3 time on the boat? haha, I will skip the leader line. Thanks for your info, I thought the stronger the line is the more chance you can get that fish. I was wrong.

15. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Now, that's for tuna fishing, if you're targeting AJs and stuff, you are good to go with heavier leader like 130, 150, 170, etc.

16. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Lordhell,

I have 350yrds of PE-8 on the stella. I did this because I may go to NC for Jigfest IV and yank the reef donkeys out of the wrecks.

Nice advice as well. Perhaps the following is recommeneded pound test:

120, 100, 80, 60, 50

17. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Lordhell,

I have 350yrds of PE-8 on the stella. I did this because I may go to NC for Jigfest IV and yank the reef donkeys out of the wrecks.

Nice advice as well. Perhaps the following is recommeneded pound test:

120, 100, 80, 60, 50

yea, that PE8 line is perfect for the reef donkeys, more than enough. You probably only need to get down to 60lbs, I don't think you'll need to get down to 50lb IMO.

18. gman

gman Senior Member

Jigging I would suggest Fluro in case they are shy, the best fluro I have ever used was Blackwater. Chip Baker killed the bluefin off NC with 130 seagar and I plan on testing Seagars new premiere this weekend

For popping you do not need it so dont waste your money

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I plan on testing Seagars new premiere this weekend

i havent used the premier but borrowed some from my dad. it seems really nice, very soft

Blackwater is awesome. I've used Varivas FC as well. It was nice but i prefer blackwater.

20. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Blackwater is a nice option as I remember the name from freshwater fishing.

I'd like to see how Glen does on the Seagaur premiere... its allways been a favorite of mine.
    With mono I'll see if sami can send me over some fisherman stealth.

Bret do you keep fishing logs for your trips?

:)