Flounder fishing is fun.

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, May 24, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I love fluking. Catching fluke is fun and you don't need lots of preparation. All I need is a few bottle of beers and a few bucktails. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My first fluke of the season which was released.
    [​IMG]

My first keepr of the season. The NY fluke regulation is two over 21 inches.
    [​IMG]

fluke ribbons which I got from the trp. They are going to be used for golden tile trip on Memorial Day, but my wife ate some of them which I put in the refrigeraton without telling my wife they are for baits. Fluke ribbons known as Engawa is the delicacy in Japanese sushi restaurants.
    [​IMG]

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Looks like fun, how big are the jigs?

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Looks like fun, how big are the jigs?
    The jigs are from 1/2 oz to 3 oz.
    They are custom jigs with Gamatatsu hooks.

4. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Thanks, those Gamakatsu hooks are the best. Do you sell those jigs also? If so how much?

5. Nepptune

Nepptune Senior Member

Very nice Kil... Love the JM reel used on Fluke!!! HAHAHAHA!!! Fantastic!

Great looking bucktails, look fantastically made and we all know how great those Gamas are...

Nice work as always!

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Thanks, those Gamakatsu hooks are the best. Do you sell those jigs also? If so how much?

I have been wondering why bucktails made in U.S.A. use dull hooks. :)
    I believe the popularity of Spro bucktails stems from the use of sharp Gamakatsu hooks.
    They are making my custom bucktails now and the jigs are available soon, but I don't know the retail prices yet.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Very nice Kil... Love the JM reel used on Fluke!!! HAHAHAHA!!! Fantastic!

Great looking bucktails, look fantastically made and we all know how great those Gamas are...

Nice work as always!
    The JM PE4 reel is actually smaller than normal reels used for fluke.
    I used only 6 - 8 oz drag for them. :)
    When I catch a bluefin over 100 lbs with the PE4 reel next month, the reel officially becomes the first reel which is used from fluke to 100 plus lbs tuna. :)

8. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

Very nice Kil !! my favorite fish to catch or gig !

9. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Kil, those are some nice jigs. Great report.

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Spro bucktails are very popular among flounder (fluke) fishermen here.
    When I heard a group always outfished others on party boats with their secret jigs, I had to find the sources and I finally found who make those jigs.
    The round jig head is not new, but the sharp Gamakatsu hooks might make the difference. Any jigs which can outfish Spro jigs are a big hit here.

11. JKil1

JKil1 Junior member

Kil, great report. I fluke out of barnaget a few times each summer w/ my uncles who live there. We always use 3-5oz weighted rigs with large killies and squid and have done well. I would like though to go up there and outfish them w/ jigs. Any advice on how to work these jigs for fluke? do you tip them w/ anything? Where can i get the ones pictured above (already have large range of spro jigs for my NC fishing) Thanks if you can help. -John

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil, great report. I fluke out of barnaget a few times each summer w/ my uncles who live there. We always use 3-5oz weighted rigs with large killies and squid and have done well. I would like though to go up there and outfish them w/ jigs. Any advice on how to work these jigs for fluke? do you tip them w/ anything? Where can i get the ones pictured above (already have large range of spro jigs for my NC fishing) Thanks if you can help. -John
    John, as you know there are no other places in the world so many fishermen participate in fluke (flounder) fishing like in from NJ to MA.
    Fluke setup has been evoloved in recenty years and the most popular set up is to use two small bucktails. One heavy one at the bottom and one light one is attached one or two ft above bottom one like you see in the picture.

[​IMG]