floro: 50 or 80?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Mitchw123456, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Mitchw123456

Mitchw123456 Senior Member

I'm going to be heading to Venice in July and I'm really just trying to get all my ducks in a row early so I will not be doing any last minute searching. With that, what pound test floro should I put on my EXs? I've got them spooled now with just a top of Moimoi Diamond 80 mono. Will 50 suffice? Or should I go with 80 and be prepared to swap back to the 50 if they are skiddish?

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I would take 40,50,60,& 80lb flouro.. you never know when they get lock jaw.

3. gman

gman Senior Member

As you know tuna can be extremely line shy therefore I always bring floro. We were slow trolling with Reel Peace Charters off Venice and we started at 80, then 60 before getting bit with 50. Especially if you need to use smaller baits and scale down the hook size.

I wouldnt suggest going under 50 if you are targeting yellowfin, highly suggest circle hooks as well in many sizes. Bring alot of sabikis, they have a huge issue with cudas at the live bait stops, it delayed our fishing quite a bit

4. Mitchw123456

Who did you go with with Reel Peace? I'm goign to be with Capt Darryle.

5. gman

gman Senior Member

Please tell captain darryll Glenn and his 11 year old son anthony said hi. I fished with him for 2 days straight. He is an awesome guy who got us on the fish. He is an amazing captain. He is also a great bottom fishing guide

He got my son his 65# Amberjack and countless yellowfin. Tell him the guys who were from NJ and fished with Tony Taylor of Luissiana sportsman magazine

6. gman

gman Senior Member

BTW, that is a great outfit but get ready to run as the tuna should be pretty far offshore. They had just left the lump when we went in March and we had to search for them. It was a great trip

7. Mitchw123456

Will do, I haven't heard one bad thing about him yet so maybe I can get lucky for once in my life.

8. gman

gman Senior Member

Capt. Devlin
    Venice, LA USA

Finally a calm day! Darryl, Kevin and Mike all did a number on the fish. Yellowfin and Dolphin filled all three fish boxes.Darryl had one angler which left Darryl fighting the second half of several doubles. He said at one point one of them was hooked up for over 3 hours. Kevin is still tagging tuna but the dolphin were fair game. they had a hard time keeping the dolphin off of the line long enough to catch tuna but they perceveired. Mike worked the kite today and the yellowfin jumped all over it. Everyone said that it was awsome. Everyone fished live bait today and said that bait was starting to become easier to catch.

We still have one boat open on Sunday and just had two boats open up for the 18th and 19th.

Reel Peace Charters
    (985)534-2278
    www.reelpeace.com Click for More Reports

9. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

Mitch,

First of all Capt. daryll will have every thing you need for fishing just bring yourself and a bunch of coolers. You will not be disappointed when you fish with reel peace, that is why every major saltwater mag writes articles on them at least once a year. good luck down there.

10. gman

gman Senior Member

You are absoluely right. Rel Peace has everything under the son waiting for you and stashed away somewhere on those boats. When we were slow trolling and couldnt buy a bite for about 3 hours he broke out the...

jig sticks ...
    popping gear ...
    chunks

Until we got bit, plus you have the benefit of 10 boats all working for the same company. They talk all day to each other and have no issues calling people over to where the bite is which i thought was awesome. Daryll has it under control. I wouldnt bring anything unless its a specialty item like your own popping or jigging gear. He uses bent but cape fear stand up gear with brand new shimano tiagra 80, 50, 30's on board

11. Mitchw123456

Do they frown on taking your own stuff? I'm really not wanting to go winch in a few fish on 50s and 80s. I sold my 50s strictly because they, for me took the fun out of fishing. I'm sure Gunsmoke will have a stroke when he reads this about actually playing a fish.

12. gman

gman Senior Member

First I probably overstated my comments. They fish with 30's and 50's with an 80 sitting in a rod holder for a shark rig as the Makos get large down there.

They allowed me to bring my outfit no problem, I brought my alutecnos 50w 2 speed on a chaos rod. I will tell you this you dont want to fish under a 30 reel

Two considerations ....

1. You are slow trolling way, way, way offshore where all the big boys play. Large Marlin & 200 lb tuna all are frequently caught while trolling there. They caught the first blue marlin of the season while I was there. You do not want to hook up to a 200lb yellowfin or a marlin for that matter on a 30 or less. Use a minimum of a 50, just my opinion

2. Line, if you are bringing your own gear I would highly suggest calling Devlin at the office to make sure your line is right. Most boats including my reel are spooled with approximately 600+yards of 130 hollowcore with a top shot. I had a 100 yard 100# top shot

I always say dont bring a knife to a gunfight and a fish lannded or released is better than lost.