360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Yep, when I was with Sam of FishPedasi last week, we had to contend with some green water due to the rains and shot offshore too, we hooked a beautiful Marlin at one point on the trolling gear and fought him to seeing the 40ft leader and then he popped off!!! That's fishing but what a show he put on, exploded on the lure and plenty of tailwaking.
Weather looked like it was picking up again towards the end of my stay with the incessant rain easing off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We fished with Capt Chino for a week. He was great. Lodge has 2 cats and 2 pangas. We fished on the cat which is a 26 twin vee with 170 twin Suzuki. Few days we were out in 6-8 foot seas and boat handled it great. Was pleasantly surprised. When we were there all the rain turned the inshore water green and killed the bite so we went offshore. Based on my week there wouldn’t burn too much time fishing that green water.

there were a bunch of 30-50 lb yellowing schools popping Up. I caught a bunch on the smaller jack fin Pelagus as well.

Hope that helps.

Thank you

what were you mainly throwing and Jigging ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am heading there in 3 weeks

how were the boats and captains ?

thx
Hello, we were just there in August and are headed back the last week of November. The equipment list and gear provided was right on. Captain Chino is one of the best boat drivers I’ve seen and very good at reading the water. After seeing my balance problems (ankle replacement 4yrs ago) he was very good at positioning the boat where I was always casting from my strong side. I threw a 150gr Chug Norris popper for four days.Capt Chino threw the bigger popper, a 190gr Halco I think. Call it a tie. 2days I got more bites, 2 days he got more. Jacks, needlefish, tuna, sierra, Quite a few Roosters followed both but couldn’t get them to bite either one. It didn’t appear to make a difference in color or size of popper. You just needed one that made a lot of commotion.
The last day I got my Rooster on a little 100gr jig. He was about 40lbs and kicked my butt. Fun!
Dereck recommend a Hybrida J1 stickbait they had in stock. Very nice lure, good action, and it caught fish. There price was the same as the online shops. They also had jigs available.
Hope to get a shot a a Cuberra this time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello, we were just there in August and are headed back the last week of November. The equipment list and gear provided was right on. Captain Chino is one of the best boat drivers I’ve seen and very good at reading the water. After seeing my balance problems (ankle replacement 4yrs ago) he was very good at positioning the boat where I was always casting from my strong side. I threw a 150gr Chug Norris popper for four days.Capt Chino threw the bigger popper, a 190gr Halco I think. Call it a tie. 2days I got more bites, 2 days he got more. Jacks, needlefish, tuna, sierra, Quite a few Roosters followed both but couldn’t get them to bite either one. It didn’t appear to make a difference in color or size of popper. You just needed one that made a lot of commotion.
The last day I got my Rooster on a little 100gr jig. He was about 40lbs and kicked my butt. Fun!
Dereck recommend a Hybrida J1 stickbait they had in stock. Very nice lure, good action, and it caught fish. There price was the same as the online shops. They also had jigs available.
Hope to get a shot a a Cuberra this time.

Pete

pleaae keep us posted I fly in Dec 4th so you can imagine I would love to hear back from you sir

·
685 Posts
in terms of jigs - my most productive slow jig (possibly because I love them and fish them a lot) is the NLO Scoop Jig. From a speed jigging perspective - can't beat Hots Drift Tune - in my opinion. We caught everything from african pompano to snappers to small yellowfin on them. Good luck on your trip in December.

·
Registered
18 Posts
in terms of jigs - my most productive slow jig (possibly because I love them and fish them a lot) is the NLO Scoop Jig. From a speed jigging perspective - can't beat Hots Drift Tune - in my opinion. We caught everything from african pompano to snappers to small yellowfin on them. Good luck on your trip in December.

Thank you Rico

what weight was the most used ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pete

pleaae keep us posted I fly in Dec 4th so you can imagine I would love to hear back from you sir
Updates 2nd day in Panama
Hello, the guides are going small. Nomad Chug Norris 120 with the 150 being considered big. Also the shimano ocea poper 120
Leaders 70-120lb
We did throw some bigger stuff with lots of follows but few strikes
My son made it look easy. His 1st Rooster on Ocea Popper
Water Cloud Sky Vertebrate Boat

21 - 29 of 29 Posts