360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
We fished with Capt Chino for a week. He was great. Lodge has 2 cats and 2 pangas. We fished on the cat which is a 26 twin vee with 170 twin Suzuki. Few days we were out in 6-8 foot seas and boat handled it great. Was pleasantly surprised. When we were there all the rain turned the inshore water green and killed the bite so we went offshore. Based on my week there wouldn’t burn too much time fishing that green water.

there were a bunch of 30-50 lb yellowing schools popping Up. I caught a bunch on the smaller jack fin Pelagus as well.

Hope that helps.

Thank you

what were you mainly throwing and Jigging ?

· Registered
22 Posts
Hello, we were just there in August and are headed back the last week of November. The equipment list and gear provided was right on. Captain Chino is one of the best boat drivers I’ve seen and very good at reading the water. After seeing my balance problems (ankle replacement 4yrs ago) he was very good at positioning the boat where I was always casting from my strong side. I threw a 150gr Chug Norris popper for four days.Capt Chino threw the bigger popper, a 190gr Halco I think. Call it a tie. 2days I got more bites, 2 days he got more. Jacks, needlefish, tuna, sierra, Quite a few Roosters followed both but couldn’t get them to bite either one. It didn’t appear to make a difference in color or size of popper. You just needed one that made a lot of commotion.
The last day I got my Rooster on a little 100gr jig. He was about 40lbs and kicked my butt. Fun!
Dereck recommend a Hybrida J1 stickbait they had in stock. Very nice lure, good action, and it caught fish. There price was the same as the online shops. They also had jigs available.
Hope to get a shot a a Cuberra this time.

Pete

pleaae keep us posted I fly in Dec 4th so you can imagine I would love to hear back from you sir

· Registered
22 Posts
in terms of jigs - my most productive slow jig (possibly because I love them and fish them a lot) is the NLO Scoop Jig. From a speed jigging perspective - can't beat Hots Drift Tune - in my opinion. We caught everything from african pompano to snappers to small yellowfin on them. Good luck on your trip in December.

Thank you Rico

what weight was the most used ?

· Registered
22 Posts
Thx Pete and congrats on the fish I leave Saturday my friend keep the reports coming.

What man line weight are you fishing and when do you leave we might see each other if you will be in camp Sunday

· Registered
22 Posts
Very nice! We are looking forward to going back. Was the North wind a issue? Which did you use more, stickbaits or poppers?

Yes a few days it would blow hard and seas would pick up. On those days we would hug the shoreline and we still found fish. We would always be throwing a mix of sticks and poppers and poppers seemed to find larger fish ad sticks seemed to find more fish

1 - 8 of 8 Posts