360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for 3 or 4 recommendations for both floating and sinking stickbaits for a trip to Panama.
Probably most of the fishing will be within a few miles of shore over reefs.
A bit of variations in the sticks preferably to cover different options - such as a floating stickbait that is good for skipping across the surface, a floating stickbait that is good for sweeping the rod etc.
I don't have big experience in this area and there are a tonne of stickbait options out there so I'm trying not to burn money and time on the wrong stuff.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

· Vendor
928 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the replies. It's much appreciated.
I have zero opportunity to see lures before I order them online so trial and error can be expensive.
Two sources I like for quality stickbaits where the employees/owners are happy to point you in the right direction are saltywater tackle (in New Jersey) and fishead (in Australia). Email or call them and they will respond with useful suggestions based on what you're targeting and where.

· Super Moderator
6,456 Posts
When I went a few years ago poppers were the game, no bites on sticks at all.
Best producers were Smith A cup, Heru Cubera 80/100, and a no-name 100g popper from O'pass. Wore that one down to bare wood across 4 days of popping.

· Registered
26 Posts
We fished Panama the past 2 years, offshore and inshore. These sinking stick baits were the ticket with the tuna offshore and the pargo, trevally, and jack crevalle inshore. They aren't that expensive and they held up.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Give Pierre our best! you will not be disappointed.
I'm not fishing with Pierre, he sold panafishing and is gone from them. I'm with with FishPedasi (Sam Wadman). I have fished with Sam before, a superb skipper, knows the grounds and tactics. We fish popper, jig, lure, livebait, troll, every option available depending on conditions.
Check them out at FishPedasi.

694 Posts
I fished with panafishing 2 weeks ago for a week. Dereck is new owner and is great. Super hardworking guy making a lot of improvements, especially to the boats. We caught everything from small yellowfins on poppers, to cubera, to snowy grouper. I would not hesitate booking with Dereck at Panafishing.

also I did real well on the jack fin 180 Kronos popper. Believe striker tackle has 25% discount now.

· Vendor
928 Posts
I fished with panafishing 2 weeks ago for a week. Dereck is new owner and is great. Super hardworking guy making a lot of improvements, especially to the boats. We caught everything from small yellowfins on poppers, to cubera, to snowy grouper. I would not hesitate booking with Dereck at Panafishing.

also I did real well on the jack fin 180 Kronos popper. Believe striker tackle has 25% discount now.
Sounds like a great trip. We only got a handful of those Kronos 180 left

694 Posts
We fished with Capt Chino for a week. He was great. Lodge has 2 cats and 2 pangas. We fished on the cat which is a 26 twin vee with 170 twin Suzuki. Few days we were out in 6-8 foot seas and boat handled it great. Was pleasantly surprised. When we were there all the rain turned the inshore water green and killed the bite so we went offshore. Based on my week there wouldn’t burn too much time fishing that green water.

there were a bunch of 30-50 lb yellowing schools popping Up. I caught a bunch on the smaller jack fin Pelagus as well.

Hope that helps.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts