Float tube Giant Trevally

Discussion in 'International reports' started by philr21, Jul 30, 2010.

1. philr21

philr21 Senior Member

Have watched the site for some time, but usually don't have anything too special to share. Today though was a bit different. Beautiful day today here in Diego Garcia so took the float tube out in the lagoon. I fished a Saltist 30 on a 12-25lb musky blank and 30lb topshot over braid. I cast a 2 ounce Ecogear leadhead with a 4inch swimbait. Normally I catch lots of grouper and snapper this way, with some bluefin trevally mixed in. Today though I didn't have much of anything hit. After an hour I kept bouncing the swimbait along the bottom and had a solid hit. Reeled in the slack, set the hook and to my surprise the rod doubled over and the fish kept running for deep water, taking me deep into the braid. I kicked my float tube backwards as hard as I could but was still losing line with a locked drag.

Long story short, the fish eventually tired after spinning me in many circles and dragging me a ways. Finally landed this 59.2lb GT! Very cool fish. My largest GT and first GT from the float tube.

Attached Files:

flyguy, bnz, GARRIGA and 2 others like this.
  2. papio

papio Senior Member

Nice catch! Ulua fish head soup! delicious grinds!!

3. shoefish

shoefish Senior Member

Damn how fast was that thing towing you?! You must have had a wake behind you with that thing hammering away from you. Congrats!

semipro likes this.
  4. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

Simply awesome job, congrats!

5. Effin'Fishin'

Effin'Fishin' Junior member

Great fish and great story. Thanks for the post.

6. bado1

bado1 Member

very cool!
    do you do any fishing from a yak there?

7. corybahr318

corybahr318 Banned

Awesome fish! Have you used the Carpenter OH I sent you yet?

8. brandon

brandon Member

What a catch! Congratulations!!

9. monocom

monocom Senior Member

How do you fish on that tube? Your butt & legs are in the water?

Must be a lot fun draged by a GT!

Congratulations!

10. philr21

philr21 Senior Member

No yak fishing. We have yaks but the base won't let you fish from them. Corey- Carpenter hasn't arrived yet.

Monocom- yep, legs and butt in the water. Was a good time.

11. ASandman

ASandman Junior member

fishing in diego garcia must be a blast, right in the middle of indian ocean with no commercial or recreational fishing pressure, i can imagine it will be like that midway video hand feeding gts and jacks.

12. HWK

HWK Senior Member

That's just awesome !!

13. philr21

philr21 Senior Member

Sandman- the place has quite a bit of recreational fishing pressure- so its not as good here as you would think. With over 2500 folks on the island- 4 charter boats, 5 rental boats, plus the LCM that takes 20 people or so fishing, the fish do see a good bit of pressure. Almost dissapointing. There are days the trollers get skunked, and times you got to work to catch fish bottom fishing. Lots of sharks too so light tackle is impossible to use most places. Using a HEAVY jigging rod with 100 pound braid I still got sharked several times bringing fish up. It is frustrating. So anyway, there is good fishing to be had, but definitely no hand feeding GT like in the Midway video!

14. Frogfish

Frogfish Senior Member

15. Andy from Downunder

Andy from Downunder Junior member

Fantastic report and pics. Can I ask how long it took to subdue the GT?

16. philr21

philr21 Senior Member

Took roughly 20 minutes or so and a lot of chasing to get him to the tube. Then another 20 minutes kicking back to shore with him in my lap. :)

Fish n Hunt likes this.
  17. Andy from Downunder

Andy from Downunder Junior member

Took roughly 20 minutes or so and a lot of chasing to get him to the tube. Then another 20 minutes kicking back to shore with him in my lap. :)

Amazing. I'm sure you're an expert but sharks not a concern, in the lagoon?

18. philr21

philr21 Senior Member

Concern- yes. Big enough concern to keep me off the water- no. Will I go float tubing at night? Not likely! Been solid winds the last couple weeks- no chances to get back out.

19. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Awesome catch!