Fishing YFT in GOM

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by wadefisherman, Jul 20, 2009.

1. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

Base on your past experiences, what is the best month of the year for fishing YFT in the GOM? I don't fish all year around, therefore I don't know much. However, July/August plus no moon is the best regarding to the weater...but ones has to deal with the torture of the heat.

2. atunatado

atunatado Member

BEST TIME TO FISH IS WHEN YOU CAN!

3. wadefisherman

I know it's always nice to be out there fishing. My question was...which month is most productive? I don't like fishing hard and not catching.

4. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

feb......

venice

sometimes march

5. The Great PF

The Great PF Senior Member

I agree with Bill Fisher if you want larger tuna. You may not catch as many during the winter, but they'll be larger. The summer pattern yields perhaps more tuna, but they'll be smaller.

I am leaving Wednesday for Venice, and I'm a little down right now--it seems that the water conditions are not too good, so we may have to really hunt for tuna and wahoo; that's why so many people are catching AJ's and snapper now instead of tuna. The water should be calmer than what we normally experience in the winter.

I have also booked a trip for February during the no moon period.

6. wadefisherman

You're right. I've not seen many good reports from Venice lately regarding to tuna fishing. Base on the riptide chart, the water is not really good compare to the last few months. However, they did pretty good on AJ, snapper and dorado lately.

7. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

8. d-a

d-a Senior Member

You're right. I've not seen many good reports from Venice lately regarding to tuna fishing. Base on the riptide chart, the water is not really good compare to the last few months. However, they did pretty good on AJ, snapper and dorado lately.

The tuna are there, just harder to catch with the blue water so far out. Good news is that its coming back in. With out the Blue water the dolphin,wahoo, and marlin fisheries is down as well as the tuna.

d-a

9. wadefisherman

What do you guys think about Sep or Oct? I'd like to fish when it's not too hot like July or August.

10. d-a

d-a Senior Member

What do you guys think about Sep or Oct? I'd like to fish when it's not too hot like July or August.

Weathers nice, but you have to be on hurricane watch. Sept is usually hotter in the gulf.

d-a

11. CaptEddie

CaptEddie Site Sponsor

sept oct are both excellent tuna months in venice. I caught two yf over 185 last oct.

12. Backlash Scott

Backlash Scott Member

Why don't you talk to Captain Eddie about doing an overnight trip?
    Backlash Scott

13. wadefisherman

Right now the fishing in Tx is as good as in Venice. It's not justify to drive 9 hours there..

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Fishing season out of LA and out of TX is different.

My Texas tuna season start from late May until early Feb.
    It is hard to tell which month is better. Fishing is more reliabe from late fall, but weather can be problems.

15. Muddskipper

Muddskipper Senior Member

Kil has got the late fall right, for out of Texas

October is a prime month, Holloween pattern seems to be a killer time

I am doing a 2 nighter on the SCAT around then.

Most of the time those fill up quick, but with the recent economics it has been on the slower side to fill.

I personally hate fihsing in 90 degree summer months with no breeze.

When its like that the night is the only time.

16. WendyW

WendyW Junior member

I'm headed out on the Dolphin for the 80 hr Tuna trip in August.. can't wait!

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Big YF's are being caught right now in daylight hours. These are running from 160 to 210#s. Of course, these were a by-catch of guys trolling for marlin. If we could get some bait in the area, the catch would be better. Lack of flying fish and weed lines make it tough for daytime fishing.

The heat also isn't friendly for jigging right now. Try jigging in triple digit temperatures in deep water with the sun pounding on you. You're a real man if you can take it for 30-45 minutes without a break. The bigger blackfins should find the shrimp boats in another week or so. Most of the shrimp boats are only in about 16-20 fathoms with a few in 40-50 fathoms.

18. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

As far a venice goes it all depends on the year. in the summers of 06 and 07 we were catching all the 50-100lb fish we could fit in the boat 10-25 miles out of the pass. The high river has really moved the fish out the past couple of summers making it hard on someone like me with a smaller boat. this past winter was on fire but that was not the case in the previous two years. You just never know. Summertime weather definitely makes planning a trip easier.

19. wadefisherman

What is the most effective method of catching YFT in the cooler month like (October)? Popping, jigging or chunking?

20. Muddskipper

Muddskipper Senior Member

What is the most effective method of catching YFT in the cooler month like (October)? Popping, jigging or chunking?

It's different every time

I like Popping, but sometimes they want the chunks ,other times its flying fish, then it's live bait.....

It's all what they are feeding on

21. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

Jigging and popping have thier place but we catch 95% of our larger yft on live bait or chunks.