Fishing Venice

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Capt. Jerry Allen, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Capt. Jerry Allen

Capt. Jerry Allen Member

I finally got onthe water after a long stretch of either running from a storm or rebuilding after one had hit, but at last I made it back to Venice to take some trips Capt Eddy had booked for me. The first day was GREAT as we marked and caught fish at just about every spot we went to. The biggest problem we had was trying to decide whether we wanted to drive off and leave fish biting in search of bigger fish or not. We chose to go looking for some fatty's as the fish we were catching in close were on the small side, but after multiple stops we wound up in the land of the PIGS!!! Now the only problem we had was that we were 69 miles from home and it was getting late so we made short work on four nice YF and headed back with a box full of Blackfin and smaller YF.

The second day I had a daddy and his three sons, and they were a treat to have on board. They were all experienced and just a ball to be with. We went to the bait spot from the day before and NOTHING!! Not one! RU ROW!!! No problem, we'll just keep going and find bait along the way? Every spot we went to my bottom machine was blank! Was it broken??? NO FISH? Whats going on, this is Venice right? We continued on in an attempt to make it back to the "land of the pigs" and you guessed it, the wind went to howling from the exact wrong direction. With no hope of making it to the land of the pigs we changed course and continued on offshore. We arrived at the spot to find a couple of other captains in the area. We all agreed to stay in radio contact and let one another know when we found the fish. The radio sure was QUIET!!! Not a good sign!!

We still had a great day just picking away at the few fish that were there, using every trick in the book. Live bait, chunk bait, buterrfly jigs and chum bombs. we wound up with a mess of Blackfin, three small YF and the saving part of the day was two BIG FAT WAHOO on chunk baits!! Yes you read corectly, CHUNK BAITS with FLOUROCARBON LEADER at that!!!

I'd rather be lucky than good any day!!

I have openings for Nov. 6, 7, and 9 if you want to give it a shot. If you've got the "itch" but don't think you can find a crew send me an E-Mail and maybe I can put a crew together for you.

Capt. Jerry Allen
    Poco Loco Charters - Blue Water fishing with specialty being YellowFin Tuna
    409-651-0765

2. mlutz95

mlutz95 Junior member

hey capt jerry just stumbled on this post. i fished with u on the day we got those two wahoo and i have some pics if u want me to post em or if u have a website u want em for. i can email them to u or just post them right here, whatever

3. Capt. Jerry Allen

Capt. Jerry Allen Member

I would love it if you would post the pics!!! The new tee shirts should be ready mid Nov, I'll call you to get the sizes you need. I need to get an e-mail address as well so I can get you the seasoned flour recipe for the Hoo.
    Thanks and God bless!
    Capt. Jerry Allen

4. mlutz95

mlutz95 Junior member

5. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

thanks for the photo's. it's nice to see our younger generation enjoying our passion.....rick