Fishing Venice, La.

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by Super Strike, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Super Strike

Super Strike Member

We have been fishing a lot lately although the weather has been less than cooperative. All three boats have been running the past few days with a mix of wahoo and tuna. Yesterday I took out the Marshall crew. The day started out a little slow but kicked in Mid- morning. We put a 95lber. in the boat fairly quick then we got a double on which turned out to be a three hour fight for both fish. They weighed in at 179 and 176. Congrats to the anglers Bruce Mac. and Buck B. We have a construction company in from Utah to fish all week with us right now. We left out this morning staying in close due to the winds with little to show for our efforts. It looks like the winds will keep us inshore for the next couple of days. We have a few days left this season. At least one boat is open on most weekdays. The season will come and go quick so don't miss out.

Capt. Damon McKnight
    Super Strike Charters
    1 800 318 1720

Attached Files:

• 448.jpg
      448.jpg
      File size:
      77.9 KB
      Views:
    • 449.jpg
      449.jpg
      File size:
      80.7 KB
      Views:
    • 450.jpg
      450.jpg
      File size:
      79.6 KB
      Views:
    • 451.jpg
      451.jpg
      File size:
      116 KB
      Views:
  2. rtran

rtran Senior Member

those are some nice fish!

3. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Beautiful fish!

Look at the bottom sickle on the fish in the second pic!

4. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I hope Bret, Kevin and Jared are killing them as we speak!

5. Pope

Pope Senior Member

I just talked to Kevin. No yft caught by the group. They did manage three wahoo. He said the water temp had dropped and the fish moved from the lump. I am disappointed, but they seemed to have high spirits.

6. Super Strike

Super Strike Member

Water Temps. had nothing to do with the fish not being there.

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Water Temps. had nothing to do with the fish not being there.
    what do you think the cause is/was?

8. Cutter

Cutter Junior member

Nice report and pics Capt. McKnight.
    Those are some solid fish.

9. Super Strike

Super Strike Member

On Sat. the 60-70 boats fishing the area slowed the bite down. There were a few fish caught but not a whole lot. On Sunday the bite was very good. There were a lot of big fish brought to the dock. Temps. will play a role during the summer on the tuna bite, but not this time of the year. A temp. drop will only make them feed more. Tuna prefer 60-69F degree water, especially the bigger ones. Right now it is avg. about 70. The season is running late this year. Feb. will be the better month in 08. Last year Jan. was better. Last year the temp. in Jan 07. was a lot colder than this past Jan 08. Feb. will be the better month this year and probably well into March. Only time will tell for sure, but i would bet on it.

10. Those are unbelievable fish.....

Congrats.....

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

On Sat. the 60-70 boats fishing the area slowed the bite down. There were a few fish caught but not a whole lot. On Sunday the bite was very good. There were a lot of big fish brought to the dock. Temps. will play a role during the summer on the tuna bite, but not this time of the year. A temp. drop will only make them feed more. Tuna prefer 60-69F degree water, especially the bigger ones. Right now it is avg. about 70. The season is running late this year. Feb. will be the better month in 08. Last year Jan. was better. Last year the temp. in Jan 07. was a lot colder than this past Jan 08. Feb. will be the better month this year and probably well into March. Only time will tell for sure, but i would bet on it.

damn, 60-70 boats?!?!

12. gman

gman Senior Member

i heard its gets as congested as 100-150 boats when the bite is on

13. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

On sunday the bite was not VERY good. i would say less thasn average with only about 25 boats there. We had two blackfin after hours of chumming talked with rimmer nada, only a few boats had fish, but the bite wasnt on. Several boats got the el skunk o. We talked with andy of reel peace that night during the game and he caught a double with the last two chunks after all the boats left, the only fish he caught all day. It seems as if there are fewer tuna in conjuction with a ton of added food to an area that is already bait rich right now. I believe Kevin was actually referring to the wahoo bite which is temp dependant. I am no expert but i did stay at a holiday inn once.