360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would appreciate your guys opinions on Hoo fishin'

Any truth to an opinion I found on line that Hoos won't go after smokers or bubble producing lures? I find this questionable because my understanding of trolling for Hoos is that the place to troll is in the white water or prop wash which is loaded with bubbles.

What's the difference between a "bomb" and a small trolling lure? In other words, any reason why small trolling lures won't work as well as bombs?

Bombs or iron (raiders, etc), what works best? What's better with Raiders, chrome or gold?

What colors work best with Hoos?

Thanks.

·
1,699 Posts
sometimes hoos will hit a trembler lure up close in the propwash and sometimes I get a bite long center slant head behind a bird.. That has been my experience.. blue and white islander with ballyhoo is hard to beat as well.

·
326 Posts
In my few years of catching them most have come off of a slanthead style lure like a yozuri bonita trolled from the corners or an ilander in the shotgun position with or without a bird. If I were setting a spread just for hoo it would be a small purple/ black bonita on one corner, large mahi colored bonita on the other corner, purple/ black ilander on one rigger, blue and white ilander other rigger, blue/white ilander behind a bird on the shotgun.

·
1,718 Posts
A bomb is a lure you cast on the slide when you hook up and nail his "buddy" lurking behind. They are heavy with tinsel and a blade hanging from the shank of the hook. Once you let it sink to a count of ten, start ripping it back to the boat as fast as you can on a high retrieve ratio reel. The boat will likely still be moving which helps the speed of the lure. Do a wahoo bomb google search.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts