Fisherman friendly camera

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by Minnow, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Slashgear.com

Olympus is readying two more cameras for the gauntlet - the STYLUS TOUGH-8000 and STYLUS TOUGH-6000. In case you haven’t noticed, these cameras are supposed to be really tough.

The STYLUS TOUGH-8000 is rocking 12 million pixels of image resolution and, according to Olympus, can perform all sorts of death-defying stunts. For instance, it can handle being dropped 6.6 feet, can go underwater 33 feet, can withstand 220 lbs of pressure and, I quote, will “laugh at freezing temperatures”.

The STYLUS TOUGH-6000 is a 10-megapixel camera that can perform some of the same stunts, just not as well. The 6000 can only be dropped 5 feet and can only dive 10 feet underwater. As for freezing temperatures? Olympus says that the 6000 can “beat the freezing cold”, but it certainly doesn’t laugh at it like the 8000 does.

Both cameras will be available within the next month or so. The 8000 will show up next month for $399.99, while the 6000 will come later this month, priced at $299.99.

Attached Files:

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

have you found anywhere about shutter speed? thats the most frustrating thing i run into with the 'normal' digital cameras

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Yea I like it when it takes fast pictures

4. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I think there's only one qualified camera-abuse tester on this board......

Mr. Bill, are you ready for another test?

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Trust me, that STYLUS TOUGH-8000 might be pretty tough, but nothing is safe with me. I busted my first stylus SW770 after a few months. I searched the market for a small tough camera, and decided to buy another one. It was the toughest one I could find.

I handed it off to my wife in Costa Rica. It's easy to use, just look through the viewfinder, press the shutter button down half way to focus, and then fully press it for the picture. I had two 2-gig cards and three batteries for the camera. I told her just to take as many pics as she wanted. I figured at least 5% would be half way framed to my liking.

At one point the first morning, the first cooler on the boat was so full of dorado's the Capt couldn't close the lid and they were still flapping around. My wife was absolutely exhausted from bringing in five in a row and was instructed to sit on the lid to keep them from jumping out. She later told me that was an incredible butt massage. We then started pouring beer down their gills before boxing them in another cooler. Somehow, the camera fell into the cooler during all the chaos. We didn't discover this until the deckhand started cutting off the tails and heads because they were to long to fit into the cooler. The camera was wedged in the gill plates of a dodo head.

It was covered in blood so I dropped it into the live bait well for a cleansing. Remember, they are water proof. One thing not in the owners manual is a warning that live bait love to chew on bloody objects. It survived a couple of hours in the live bait tank before it was hung on a outrigger clip to dry out.

Once again the owners manual didn't warn you to hang the camera in a casting zone. I accidentally hooked it with a popper while casting. It ripped out of the outrigger clip and went flying with the popper. Thank God for that little cord strap they provide to secure it around your wrist. The treble hook had snagged the small cord and the camera was retrieved back to the boat after an incredible flight.

She took a couple of pictures, and it was still working. The next day we were in the rain forest where it is very slippery. She had it in her back pocket. She hit the deck many times that day and the camera survived all the blows.

The only other thing the owner's manual doesn't warn you about is the airport security search. When leaving Costa Rica, they made us dump out all our carry-bags onto a big table. Like most women, she carries way to much crap with her in her purse. Somehow, when we got home, I asked her for the camera and I'd download all the pics she took during the trip. It wasn't to be found. Another Olympus SW770 bites the dust.

6. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Mr.Bill,

What do you think about under water camera enclosure for fishing application?
    Will it durable enough for fisherman?

I am planning to get one for my Canon 30D

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

That would be a question for Hatidua to answer. He's the camera expert. I used to be into photography. As you might expect, I owned many 35mm and
    2 1/4" format camera's and lenses. I used to do all my own film processing,(Dark room) and just lost interest.

I never owned an underwater housing for a camera. I never got into scuba diving so the housing was never on my want list. I always just kept my 35mm camera in a waterproof cushioned air type bag when on a boat.

8. Pope

Pope Senior Member

They did not have the Tough 8000 when I bought my Olympus 1030SW last year, but it has many of the same features. It is tough as hell and shoots underwater like a champ. You can take a look at it tomorrow. I have kept it underwater for an hour and shot video. No problems at all. I use it everyday!

Stylus 1030 SW

9. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Mr.Bill,

What do you think about under water camera enclosure for fishing application?
    Will it durable enough for fisherman?

I am planning to get one for my Canon 30D
    when i fished with Kil and Choi in Cape cod, Choi had an interesting device that went around his Sony (I think) camcorder. it was clear plastic that made it waterproof. The buttons lined up with those of the camcorder. maybe someone can find a link to it. It was pretty neat. Not sure if others have tried this as well.

10. Iliveoutside

Iliveoutside Senior Member

Focus time is going to be an issue worth checking out.

I had an olympus a couple years ago. Took it to the East Cape in Mexico. I was pulling in a big Blue Marlin, but my wife couldn't get a picture of any of the jumps he made due to the poor reaction time of the camera. Took too long for the camera to focus, and there was a time delay between hitting the button and the picture taking.

I now have 2 Kodaks. They both have really fast trigger speed. But, not waterproof. Just have to be careful with them.

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

we really need Mark (hatidua) to chime in here. He makes porta potties look gorgeous, haha

12. Iliveoutside

13. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

come on thats not 15 foot, thats just that nice northeast weather! :)

were you on the trip where they got the 500+ sword?

14. Iliveoutside

No, that was a couple weeks later. The guy who caught it--Terry--was on this trip though. He was smart enough to pass on the trolling rotation during this particular day, and stay in his bunk.

The very next trip after this one is where the guy got is 50W Penn International spooled in about 60 seconds. That had to be a huge Sword.

Sometimes you just never know.

It wasn't consistantly 15, but that's what NOAA said, so I am sticking to it.

Look at the sequence starting 0:36, if that couple of sets wasn't 15', then it was pretty close.

At least I can say I have been 90 miles out in a NE blow:eek:

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

haha yeah i konw you get the big boys that roll through. nice and sporty :)