Fished Jim's Shark Tourn. w/ 3-D w/ pix

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Boston Tangler, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

On short notice I decided to join Capt Fred, Phillyfishing, Jeff and Fred Sr onboard the 3-D for Jims Shark Tourn. this past Saturday.

I had never fished a shark tourn. so I welcomed the chance to try it and Fred encouraged me to bring a tuna jigging outfit as we might encounter some Bluefin where we where headed....

Capt Fred had some good sat images and we headed out of C/M Inlet at 5:30AM - despite the 4-6 ft forecast - we where treated to flat calm seas and where able to take advantage of the speed of Fred's Boat. This is a very beamy 29 Stamas Tarpon - the same boats that Panama Sportfishing Lodge used - so right away it brought back good memories. Fred has a nice setup and I will ask him to send pictures to John in Panama of how nicely he setup the boat. We where able to have a large bean bag on either side of the console and the enclosure was nice too. We cruised out at 30 and marked good solid schools of sand eels, bluefish and what might have been tuna holding close to the bottom.

Fred is a wealth of knowledge and a very determined and exacting shark fisherman. He had throughly preped the boat, gears, baits and hand made a large assortment of shark rigs.

We did not have much of a drift as we set our baits and started the chum slick.

It was too long before we had our first visitor, an #85 Dusky that was tangled in long line gear and it had eated into his skin. Probably his lucky day, as we freed him from the mono, cut the hook and released him.

[​IMG]

Fred did not tell us but newbies on the boat have to reel in all fish! - next up was Jeff and tied into a nice Blue Shark that after a long battle as he came in tail wrapped. He was about 7' and released.

[​IMG]

I was up again, and we had a Mako in the slick, after trying to eat of the pesky birds (gannets) that where eating the chunks he, he came back around nosed the close bait and then took off to nail the far bait - a bluefish fillet.

I had many misconceptions about Mako fishing - this fish took some time to hook as he played with the bait for a while and then finally took it and ran. Once hooked he made a very long and powerful first run even at #15 of drag he took line at will, I had to leave the bow as Fred fired up the engines and the fight was on. Initially we ran parallel to gain some line and then he manovered to the corner and then transom - we had a few hairly moments near the end when she ran under the boat and it took some quick manuvering to keep the line off the bottom with the short boat rods. The fish was very fast and although she didn't jump - you could feel the violent head shakes as she repeated tried to be ride of our hook.

Prior to Fred Sr. shooting the fish we where all sure she was a mako and given the 6 ft plus length and fat girth - we all felt this was #150 plus fish and bang the slug gun went off.

Capt Fred and Paul sunk two gaffs and she was ours. After securing a tail rope we hauled her in - confident we had a contender and decided to run straight for the barn 11:00AM !!!

[​IMG]

We did not make weight and we were all pretty upset as we felt the fish was an honest 150 or we won't have shot it. But on the upside we hung a fish, and everyone has enough Mako steaks to eat very well for a few weeks. Sealamealer doing double duty today

[​IMG]

I would recommend Capt Fred to anyone - he's a passionate, aggressive fisherman, runs a tight boat and he did a load of prep to ensure we had a successful day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fred, Paul, Jeff, Fred Sr. it was a pleasure guys! A great crew lots of teamwork. Hope to get out with you again soon

2. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

Nice Mako Dan , I have never hook one before , Nice Boat ! you sure do know how to ride ! lol

3. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

Thanks John - I have to get down to the boat and take some pics of how he laid it out and I'll email them to you. Very good layout - really worked well and was comfortable.