FISHCAM - Pelican coming in now!

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by DeepBlueGulf, Nov 20, 2007.

1. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Just got a call from Snagged, says the Pelican is coming in from a 48-hr and to check the fishcam. Back early....boxes full!

Tuesday, 12:53

Port A Now Fish Cam

2. jig

jig Senior Member

I see yellow! Man that cam is cool.

3. DeepBlueGulf

Keep Watching! Jerry is gonna moon everybody in 12 minutes.

4. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Wow, That's two trips cut short in a row. The Pelican and J Brennan is the hot hand right now. I would have been on this trip except for a death in the family. Way to go guys.

Fred

5. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

That brings a new meaning to Big Eye! :D

6. DeepBlueGulf

Doh!

Did anybody see the big Dorados before they were hung up, looked like three 35lb dodos! Looks like an awesome trip.

Tom

7. DeepBlueGulf

Here are a couple of pictures for those that missed them. Congratulations to John Brennan, Awesum, Snagged, Dolphinslayer and all the others on this trip.

Tom - DBG

Attached Files:

8. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

I bet they ventured to Nobel's honey hole. I don't anybody that's been there in the last month that hasn't filled up the boxes the first night. They must have had 12 fisherman on board. I count 12 AJ's and 36 YF's. Pictures like that make you want to put up the guns and bring out the fishing gear.

9. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Amen to that!! :eek: Thats quite a load of tunas..

10. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Man it's great that the YFT's seem to have turned on finally!

Great pictures and look forward to the reports.

I'll bet we read some good topwater stories.

11. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

Man, what a trip!!! Captain John is the man! Great fisherman and a great guy. Congratulations to all the skilled fishermen too!! They had to put them in the boat.

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Did the moon shine?

Nice lot of fish. It doesn't get much better than that. Fill up the boxes and come home early. That's my style. Tighten the drags and horse um to the gaff. I bet there are some anglers with sore arms.

Snagged, when you finish processing all the fish, give us a little report. What floater, topwater bite, jig bite, chunk bite, AJ baits, etc. Thanks. By the way, how's the crapper on the pelican. I've never been on that boat.

13. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

OK folks here is the basic report.
    Went out in light fog Monday morning. Made a bait stop about an hour and a half later, picked up about 100 perfect hardtails to go with the piggies we had.
    Next stop was an AJ stop, first fish was a ten pound snapper, second fish was a snapper, captian said it was time to leave for another AJ spot.
    We found a lot of undersized aj's, I managed to box two after catching five or six within 1 inch.
    Next stop was the Boudreaux, needless to say it was a long run there so everybody caught a little sleep.
    We made a few trolling passes with a blowup as soon as the baits were deployed and a small keeper YF on the third pass.
    We pulled thse lures in and went standup fishin. The first fish was a good sized dorado, I and a couple of others caught bf for chunk bait ( I want to say this was about 6:30) and we started serious fishing.
    Jigging produced nothing but BF down to 700 feet deep. Chunk turned on and shortly poppers turned on... Yes, both at the same time and these were quality fish in the 60 to 100+ pound range. This bite was a mad house of people chasing fish, slipping and slidding in fish blood/slime and 70+ pound YF beating their death beat on the decks. At one point I saw 10 large YF on the deck and the deckhands gaffing more! About 8:30 I ended up with a foulhooked yf that kept me occupied until 9:00 and became my third and last fish.
    While all the yf were hitting chunks we had two more large dorado take either chunk or live baits. About 10:00 things settled down until aroud 3 am when the last yf for a boat limit were landed as well as filling the fish boxes. About 4 am we pulled out and returned to Port A.
    Thank you Captian John of the Pelican and you crew.

On a personal note I farmed at least four good fish during the short time I took to reach my limit.

14. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Did the moon shine?

Nice lot of fish. It doesn't get much better than that. Fill up the boxes and come home early. That's my style. Tighten the drags and horse um to the gaff. I bet there are some anglers with sore arms.

Snagged, when you finish processing all the fish, give us a little report. What floater, topwater bite, jig bite, chunk bite, AJ baits, etc. Thanks. By the way, how's the crapper on the pelican. I've never been on that boat.

Funny but when I tried to crank up the drag I started farming fish! All I could use was about 20 pounds or the hooks (super muto) would pull.
    The popper of choice was the Tuna Hunter Jr. Aj's wanted six to eight inch hardtails with the tail clipped.
    There is one for pointers and one for setters,they work is all I'll say.

15. awesum

awesum Senior Member

After making bait and getting a limit of AJ from a hole that was covered up with undersized AJs we made it to the Clyde Boudreaux just before dark.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As soon as we started chunking things started to happen .... nice Do-Dos. Several YFT we added to the mix and by 6:15 or 6:30 I think me and the fisherman next to me were the only persons on the boat that hadn't been bit. A deckhand started to throw topwaters and since I wasn't having any action I decided to join him. I had only thrown topwaters for tuna once before and there wasn't much of a bite .... things would be different this time. We started getting blowups on every cast and I would soon put my first topwater tuna in the boat .... a nifty 107#.

[​IMG]

At 6:30 I pulled this Tuna Hunter Jr. out of the package and this is what it looked like an hour and a half later after 5 landings (three for me and two handoffs, one of which went 105#) and countless hookups.

[​IMG]

We had 22 YFT in the boat by 9:30 and I really thought we'd hit our limit by midnight. Just after 9:30 action slowed on both the topwater and chunking. A 3/4 moon was then straight overhead and I wondered if that didn't affect the bite. By that time my old phart right shoulder and arm were gone so I slowed down too. I hit the sack at midnight and got back up at 3:30 AM to check the action. They were getting ready to head home. With the fish boxes full we had to improvise.

[​IMG]

The rack. Gunsmoke has a good eye, There were 36 YFT and since there were only 10 of us we were wondering how that happened. We didn't ask and they didn't tell.

[​IMG]

Me and my first topwater Yellowfin .... a 107#.

[​IMG]

On the downside there were two board members that were down to go and were psyched to go but had to scratch. My thoughts turned to Fred (gimmedeal) Spencer who wanted this badly but suffered a death in the family at the last minute. Next time.

16. DeepBlueGulf

Great Report Bobby!

107 on a popper! AWESUM!

Tom - DBG

17. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Congrats Bobby!! That's a nice tuna...especially on a topwater. That will be a lifetime experience for sure. Thanks for the pics and reports...a very memorable trip indeed. We need to have one of the CC tunaheads' ribeye steak breakfasts to celebrate your success! I'll start cleaning the grill....<grin>.

18. DeepBlueGulf

I'm up for breakfast on Thanksgiving Morning... Floyd's is open too. Bobby, if you show up, breakfast is on me! You're in the 100lb club!

Tom - DBG

19. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Bobby, great catch. Watched the web cam when the boat unloaded and the tuna looked BIG. Hated to miss the trip but family comes first. Thanx for the invite and congrats on the big YF.

Fred

20. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Bobby,

Great catch! you are officialy ruined for topwater!

It's hard to think of anything else!