Fish-n-Chip NJ Bluefin Report...

Discussion in 'Offshore Fishing Reports' started by TheSwab, Jul 23, 2009.

1. TheSwab

TheSwab Senior Member

Hi all this is my first post and report here on 360Tuna.. I hope yall enjoy.

Well, This trip wasn't meant to be. I was supposed to cancel due to a power Supply box issue I am having with my radar.

My buddies and crew showed up and wanted to go. So we made a collective decision, and ran.

The weather was great, light southerly winds and fair seas. We ran to somewhere on the 30 line between the sausages and the lobster claw. The water was 74* and a good blue. We started the morning by seeing the Capt. John and the "Hooked Up II" working the same area we were working and immediately boating a 30" Yellowfin.

From that point we boated some nice 10# plus Mahi's. There was too much of a crowd from the OC Maryland charter fleet working the area I wanted to be in so I got out, I had great marks and bait on a no name lump, shortly thereafter we hooked into a nice fish that almost spooled a 50tw. After working him to the boat, and a great leader job by my buddy Jeremy, we sunk the steel in a fat 160# Tuna.

I wasn't able to find too many fish stacked up on the bottom feeding on bait, So I wasn't able to find a legitimate jig bite this trip, we tried a few times, but had nothing good besides what we thought were a few bumps.

Once again, we had a great trip with good people and busted two tuna cherries. We will back at it again shortly.

Pictures to follow....

Capt. Brian

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

thanks, brian.

i presume the big tuna was a bluefin and not a stray allison or bigeye?

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Welcome aboard Brian.:)

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

kil did you decide on the reels yet?

sorry to hear you guys got blown out today

5. TheSwab

TheSwab Senior Member

Hi Kil! Looks like the weather isnt gonna be that great for the next few days anyhow... Something fierce is growing outside the Carolinas...

Hopefully next week we will be able to go, I am looking forward to meeting you. :)

Bretabaker, It was a bluefin, that was the target species. It was certainly not a large yellowfin, and definetly not a bigeye, we very rarely see them insides 100 fathoms.

Brian

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah i figured. im from philly - fished up there all growing up. was just hoping maybe the big yellows made their way inshore ;)

7. TheSwab

TheSwab Senior Member

We occasionally find the bigger yellowfins, but a yellowfin of 160# is a trophy up here. My Personal best was from the deep (1,000 fathoms in S.Vries Canyon) and was 146#

We are seeing alot of quality Bluefin from 150-200 up this way this year... Its been a weird year for them though. Im not sure how much longer they will stick around

8. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Brian, thanks for the post and welcome to 360tuna!