fish gordo banks mexico

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by LEXPRO, Apr 9, 2008.

1. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Thinking of taking a trip to cabo next week to give me a fishing fix. Im not big on trolling marlin so i was thinking of going to San Jose Del Cabo to fish the pangas with Gordo Banks Pangas! . Fishing is $210-260 per day. Stay at La Playita is $75 per nite and is 200 yards walking to boat. Will do this for at least 3-4 days ship my catch back and then stay at a higher end place to relax for 2-3 days and then come home.

I would take my 7ft and 5.6 OTI spinner and a stella 20k and 8k, gloves and belt. If anyone has any suggestions on tackle and lures to take or different outfit to fish with let me know...

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

That looks like a fun trip you have planned. Let us know how it went when you get back.

d-a

3. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I have fished with Eric's outfit several times.. Try to fish with Chame(if he is still with Eric) I was curious if they were still beach launching or if they had slips in the new marina... Take some poppers and definetly take some jigs..
    There are some nice fish off of the banks.. my buddy nearly had the rod yanked out of his hand by a decent aj one day.. you should be allright with that tackle.. you might bring a bottom rig, they like to fish live bait when they can get them..

4. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

I have a Avet Pro30N with 80lb braid on a sea magic rod i could bring but i figured that they would have decent bottom rigs to use... What were they using Penn Senators? What size jigs would work out there?

5. Bret

Bret Senior Member

They do have senators.. not bad, but not an avet either.. If you are going to fish a at least 3 days.. I would take my own bottom/trolling rig.. You might get into some striped marlin or a school of tuna.. you never know..
    I would take an assortment of jigs.. I really like the OTI jitterbels and jinksters.. there is usually not a ton of current but 200g or bigger jigs would work.. all of the caps use west coast style of yo yoing with the tadys/salas etc.. (its been a couple of years. they might have changed) Anyway good luck...

6. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I caught a 232 Kilo black marlin off the Gordo Bank. That's a little over 500 pounds!!!! I wasn't on a panga, but it took me a long time as it died about two hours into the fight. I was using a older style penn international 20 at the time. I was not expecting that black marlin to hit. We were high speed trolling with pointed softheads for wahoo at the time on a 31 bertram.

I have a framed picture of that hanging on the wall. Never again will I be under powered with tackle on the Gordo Bank. Fighting a big fish like that on light tackle is not fun. It takes to long and the fish is either going to be eaten by sharks or die in the process.

7. TeamOso

TeamOso Senior Member

I caught a 232 Kilo black marlin off the Gordo Bank. That's a little over 500 pounds!!!! I wasn't on a panga, but it took me a long time as it died about two hours into the fight. I was using a older style penn international 20 at the time. I was not expecting that black marlin to hit. We were high speed trolling with pointed softheads for wahoo at the time on a 31 bertram.

I have a framed picture of that hanging on the wall. Never again will I be under powered with tackle on the Gordo Bank. Fighting a big fish like that on light tackle is not fun. It takes to long and the fish is either going to be eaten by sharks or die in the process.
    MR BILL ur avatar is KILLING MEEEE!!!!;)

8. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Bring jigs,poppers and a trolling setup,trolling lures,live bait rigs. It,s been a while since I was there. may is usually when the dorado go off. Try a cruiser out of Palmillia also. See if you can still buy a day pass to the presidente (all inclusive) you could get meals,drinks and use facilites.

9. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Steve, if you can give me some detail on the live bait rigs and trolling stuff you think ill need. And whats the story on the cruisers do they target different fish or areas?

Bring jigs,poppers and a trolling setup,trolling lures,live bait rigs. It,s been a while since I was there. may is usually when the dorado go off. Try a cruiser out of Palmillia also.

10. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

If you ask Eric what types of lures to bring, he'll send you these pics :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The captains still use lots of Tady irons and MegaBaits as of last year; casting them far and then retrieving them as fast as possible for Sierra Mackerel. I killed them on one trip with a 3oz. Chrome Crippled Herring I had brought with me. Used 65lb leader! They would cut through 50lb. Sierra have teeth like King Macks :eek: 80lb may even be better for the bottom bruisers as we came to learn later...
    I went out with Capt. Hector twice and Capt. Chame once last April under Eric Bricston's "Gordo Banks" guides. Had a blast. Caught tons of fish. My friend and I each caught about 25-30 Pargo on the first day - he also caught one red snapper and I landed a nice Sierra Mackerel all on live Pilchards. The second day, the wind really picked up and we only landed about 15 Pargo each :p Had 5 Sierra bite right through 50lb leader and decided to bump the bottom with live bait. Friend hook into a monster. They have Cabrilla, Broomtail and Giant Black Sea Bass around the same structure as they fish for Pargo (Colorado Snapper). Sean fought him for about 20 minutes before his rod shattered into pieces lol...it was a good death. I hooked into one of the beast from down under as well with a 7ft. Heavy power, Fast action St. Croix Tidemaster rod and an Accurate Boss Magnum 270XC and I couldn't do anything to stop it from running anywhere it wanted...which was eventually around a rock structure. However things lightened up when Sean landed an African Pompano to end the day. On the last day, I had little to no money, and Eric said he had a guide that would take me out for 4 hours for $100. It was Capt. Chame :cool: Ended up catch 14 Sierra Mackerel upto 36 inches and even one 3ft Baby Hammerhead shark that took a live lined Pilchard!

Had a great time. Stayed at the Royal Polaris-All Inclusive Resort. But also walked my fish fillets over to The Rusty Putter where they will prepare your fish for you in 4 different kinds of ways for $7 a person with a bottle of Dos XX's :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. JerseyBrian

I would suggest bringing a heavy setup like you would use for chunking tuna in the canyons. Something that you could spool up some 50lb mono or 80lb braid. 50lb braid wasn't enough to turn the big boys from the deep.

For trolling, I would use something like a Pirate Plug tipped with a cigar minnow or ballyhoo or something...

12. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Thanks for the info brian, im booked and pumped about going. I fish from 16th thru 19th.

13. JerseyBrian

So how did you do? :) I'm eagerly waiting for you report!

14. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Brian, i just got back this afternoon... i caught alot of fish and had a great time. Ill post a report soon...