Fish fed a bit today....

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Capt. Dom, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

The full moon and Bermuda high seems like it has loosened its grip on the topwater action. We got a real nice feed on the morning slack today, and my guys were on their game. Took only 3 casts with the Tattoo's Sea Dog before we started getting blown up on. JOhn came tight right at the boat, epic hit that left a crater in the water. Fish took one run, got real squirrely, I turned the drag down a bit more, and he beat this fish to the boat in 7 minutes. I stuck this fish right in the gill plate, and it went ape shit immediately. I got thrashed around pretty good, but the big swivel head shark gaff I have switched to after folding 3 others and snapping that Top Shot stayed put, and we hauled it over the gunnel, where it went even crazier. I love that part of the game more than anything, sinking that iron in, watching that crimson spray get all over you and everything in the boat, pure carnage at it's finest! The tail beats didnt stop for a full minute, and it wiped out my gaff rack on the port side....what an absolute demon of an animal, even out of the water.

Ray came tight on his next cast with the new purple passion Sea Dog, detonating on his lure right at the bow. He got to watch the explosion from the casting deck, fish committed deep, left a mark on the finder from 60 feet to the surface, one of the sickest hits Ive seen in a long time, but unfortunately came unbuttoned on the initial run after 15 seconds or so. We had 3 other bites, and numerous boils, all within an hour or so timeframe as the NW kicked up good. Wind died out and went greasy around noon, and that was it. I had a few livies in the well, and we sent the little soldier out to get hopefully gang raped by a hungry pack of tunnoids. We got our bite around 1, but after boiling twice on the flatline, the fish whacked the poor little guy, leaving a bloody dogfish magnet in its wake, and never came back to finish the job.

Will add pics soon when I get my laptop, forgot it at home Wednesday.

2. Tattoo's Tackle

Tattoo's Tackle Junior member

Sounds like the Sea Dog is still getting eaten with reckless abandon!

Wish I was there to watch you do your Soprano move with the broken gaff on Chuck when he came over the gunnel.:eek:

3. TS18997

TS18997 Senior Member

I love that part of the game more than anything, sinking that iron in, watching that crimson spray get all over you and everything in the boat, pure carnage at it's finest! The tail beats didnt stop for a full minute, and it wiped out my gaff rack on the port side....what an absolute demon of an animal, even out of the water.

Nice! Sounds like a Tom Clancy book... if was only October... :cool:

4. AndyP

AndyP Member

Excellent post Capt. Dom. You should definitely write a book on this certainly National Geographic topic. Most people have no idea of this amazing fishery within eyesight of the beach on the Cape most of the time. There are a lot of extreme sports, but the topwater action and jigging have everything any adventure fan would want. Of course, it may be better to keep it in the family, but your accounts convey the action well and I appreciate your effort.

5. toppuntawong

toppuntawong -- Tackle Ho --

Cant wait for the picture Capt. Dom!

6. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

You da man. Standing by for pics when you can get them.

7. CapeTownBlitz

CapeTownBlitz Junior member

Great stuff. Your posts are always great Dom. A lot of big fish this year, these fish are girthy as hell.

8. fishingeek

fishingeek Senior Member

Fantastic story Capt Dom!!!! Wish I was there :)

9. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Member

A swivel head gaff has got to really help in the end game! But at 7 minutes, that's still a green bastid coming over the rail. :eek: Nice report Capt!

10. Capt. Dom

Capt. Dom Site Sponsor

Attached Files: