Fish Cleaning in Port Aransas.

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by Copenny2, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Copenny2

Copenny2 Junior member

I'm looking for some info on some where that has fish cleaning tables that the general public can use in Port Aransas near the Dolphin Docks. I understand that I can pay to have my catch cleaned for me but I'm a little ole' fashioned (and cheap). So I plan to put in the time and effort and do myself. Is there anyplace to clean or should I just take care of business on the tailgate of my truck next to the water? As always I'm seeking knowledge, guidance, and wisdom from the 360TUNA community.

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

There is a public cleaning station by the boat launch. You REALLY don't want to throw fish parts in the water, it's very expensive.

3. shanker

shanker Senior Member

I dont understand the big deal w/ throwing fish carcasses into the water. I would imagine that throwing carcasses into the water would be a good thing.

4. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Too much pollution and not enough water flow.

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

They have trash cans there at the fish cleaning house for your fish carcasses. Don't put them in the water as there is almost no current at the boat ramp. The carcasses will end up on the concrete boat ramp at high tide and stink to high heaven.

Most private channels have a simple rule. Pull out or cut out the eyes of a fish before dumping in the water. The eyes are full of air and keep the carcass on top. It is unsightly and will attract seagulls. Getting rid of the eye makes the carcass sink. Crabs will then take care of it.

6. Copenny2

Copenny2 Junior member

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like I'm not the only one that is ole' fashioned (i.e. cheap) and is willing to put in the time to clean my own fish. It might take me a while to finish but that's what "beer" was made for. :D