fish bags

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by Eric the Red, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Member

Does anyone have any feedback on good insulated fish bags? What do you have and why do you like it? Prices are all over the place, but I'd love to hear some opinions before I plunk down some hard earned Ben Franklins!!:eek:

2. mad mike

mad mike Junior member

Does anyone have any feedback on good insulated fish bags? What do you have and why do you like it? Prices are all over the place, but I'd love to hear some opinions before I plunk down some hard earned Ben Franklins!!:eek:
    just bought an old harbor tuna bag havent used it yet,but for 200 bucks its made pretty nice fit a few big tuna in it,odd shape
    Tuna Bag - Made to Hold Pelagic Fish | Old Harbor Outfitters

3. gman

gman Senior Member

I just went through this. I bought the Old Harbour and didnt like the drainage holes as it lets in hot air which melts ice. The Pelagic bag is OK but not great. Both of those are around $200-$250 for a 65"x36" bag

Honestly buy the Canyon Bag, its fully waterproof, doesnt leak and is gaurenteed to keep 95% of its ice content for 24 hours. Its about $450 for a 84"x40" bag but worth every penny

Canyon Insulated Fish Cooler Bags

4. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

x2 on the canyon. i've had one over ten years that holds ice like the day I bought it.

5. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Member

Thanks for the response guys! The Canyons sound like nice bags, but a little out of my current budget. Has anyone seen a C and H bag in person? They are in the 250 range with sealed drains.

6. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Thanks for the response guys! The Canyons sound like nice bags, but a little out of my current budget. Has anyone seen a C and H bag in person? They are in the 250 range with sealed drains.
    This is what I currently have. It still lets air in. YOu will be dumping ice back into it after 4-5 hours during the summer. I have toyed with getting the canyon bag. Its just hard to pull the trigger on piece of luggage.

7. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Member

SpecialK, thanks for the feedback. I thought the C and H bag didn't let air in. It is hard to spend that kind of coin on a bag, but the quality of the steaks are worth more than that when you take everything into account. It still hurts though!!

8. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

SpecialK, thanks for the feedback. I thought the C and H bag didn't let air in. It is hard to spend that kind of coin on a bag, but the quality of the steaks are worth more than that when you take everything into account. It still hurts though!!
    It's like any tackle purchase... Bags should last forever more or less. I wish I had just spent the money and bought the best to begin with. I pulled the trigger without doing much comparison.
    I'm going to end up spending g more anyway to replace it.

9. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Not sure of this is a good buy or not but ebay has one (there's 10 bags available with a make offer option).

CANYON INSULATED FISH COOLER BAG 80 X 30 NEW.

Louis

Item number: 300334846328

10. Drifter

Drifter Senior Member

Sorry - I forgot to add the cost - $199.99 + $20 shipping

Louis

11. gman

gman Senior Member

not the same bag as i posted although same name

12. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Member

Yeah Glen, I don't think it is the same company either. My wife came across those before but I was a little leary of them. Bass Pro Shops has a 40x 80 that is $219. There were no reviews of the bag available. The price is right but again, I hate to buy things twice when the first one just does not do the job! Packing ice on a small boat is such a pain in the a$$!!! I shouldn't complain since I can get it for free from the firehouse...

13. Tattoo's Tackle

Tattoo's Tackle Junior member

Tackle Direct has a closeout on Old Harbor bags. For $100 bucks, its a hard deal to pass up if you dont own a bag. Even if you only get a season or two out of it, its worth it.

Old Harbor Outfitters TU-01 Large Tuna Bag

14. Bill Fisher

Bill Fisher Senior Member

15. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

Not sure of this is a good buy or not but ebay has one (there's 10 bags available with a make offer option).

CANYON INSULATED FISH COOLER BAG 80 X 30 NEW.

Louis

Item number: 300334846328

I just bought that very same bag on Ebay tonight. I will let you know how it is when it arrives. As long as it really is a Canyon legit bag it should be an awesome deal. I am a little hesitant but for the price I couldn't pass it up.

16. drfishalot

drfishalot Member

Well, Albie, did you get that bag and if so what do you think about it?
    Vic

17. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Anyone try the Boone insulated bags?

18. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

Well, Albie, did you get that bag and if so what do you think about it?
    Vic

I did get the bag and it is very nice. It is NOT a Canyon Products bag but a knockoff of their bags and not the same design. It is very durable and has an inner liner that zips out. The zippers are very heavy duty YKK type zippers and plastic. The only thing this bag is lacking is some insulation but with enough ice in it i think it won't be a big problem. It is huge which is a plus and has better hand loops than the CP bag. I am pleased with it and when I get a chance i will take a couple of pics of it so all can see and decide for themselves.