First experience with big YFT

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by copperhead, Oct 10, 2009.

1. copperhead

copperhead Site Sponsor

First day in Cabo. Start day trolling. Catch football size yft on trolled skirt in school of spinner dolphin. Immediately nose hook google-eye and flat line behind boat, hook-up, 30 mins. later 80lb yft gaffed and in boat. Out comes OTI 60-80lb popping rod immediately hook-up, fight fish 2hrs 15mins on 20lbs of drag (set with scale) with 80# JB hollow core with 80# spliced in mono leader. See color 5-6 times and see 4 1/2 foot yft 5 feet down 20 yds behind boat once. Leader parts just above plug from abrasion of fishes jaw.
    I'm a big guy 6' 240lbs and I never let fish rest---line either coming on or going off. What about these 15-20min fights I've read about? I've boated AJs to 50lbs in 7-8 mins jigging but no way to land this fish quickly. This was my first fight with a big tuna, so is this what to expect? Only thing I would change would be to up leader #test and/or FC.
    Regardless got the tuna skunk off my back. No longer a tuna virgin!!!!

2. WahooMaster08

WahooMaster08 Senior Member

Congrats Copperhead Soon Very Soon I too will hook up to my first tuna!!! Again Congrats

3. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

4. johndtuttle

johndtuttle Senior Member

First day in Cabo. Start day trolling. Catch football size yft on trolled skirt in school of spinner dolphin. Immediately nose hook google-eye and flat line behind boat, hook-up, 30 mins. later 80lb yft gaffed and in boat. Out comes OTI 60-80lb popping rod immediately hook-up, fight fish 2hrs 15mins on 20lbs of drag (set with scale) with 80# JB hollow core with 80# spliced in mono leader. See color 5-6 times and see 4 1/2 foot yft 5 feet down 20 yds behind boat once. Leader parts just above plug from abrasion of fishes jaw.
    I'm a big guy 6' 240lbs and I never let fish rest---line either coming on or going off. What about these 15-20min fights I've read about? I've boated AJs to 50lbs in 7-8 mins jigging but no way to land this fish quickly. This was my first fight with a big tuna, so is this what to expect? Only thing I would change would be to up leader #test and/or FC.
    Regardless got the tuna skunk off my back. No longer a tuna virgin!!!!

gratz!! Sounds like you got a demon fish and even though you estimated its size under water no telling how big it was. technique plays a role as well as rod length to raise the fishes head plus heavy pressure early before the fish ends up straight below the boat.

go get 'em tomorrow and my bet is you start getting them to the boat faster and faster :D.

5. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

It really depends a lot on how they get the popper.. if they engulf it and get their mouth hooked shut with both hooks the fight can be very short since they can't breathe.

If they get the back end/ rear treble and get hooked in the side of the jaw they can and will put up a heck of a fight. I have learned that tuna of any size can be vastly different fighters .. some just have way more will to live.

That's what keeps us coming back offshore.. some times you win & sometimes the fish do.. but we never tire of the challenge.

Bazz