Finishing PR knot

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by wanna be tuna slayer, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Hey guys,
    I am just starting to play with the pr knot and it seems to be an incredibly strong knot.

I've seen two ways to finish the knot and I wanted some input on the preferred finish. I see one way of finishing with a series of half hitches, then ramping them down the spectra past the bulb on the leader. I see another way that is like a single uni knot. I guess if the uni finish is used, you don't do the half hitch series down the spectra to form the ramp because of where the tag end exits the knot.

Which one do you prefer?
    Thanks,
    Al

2. rhale

rhale Senior Member

3. rhale,
    I forgot about one question I have. Do you tie just a single half hitch before the uni? In the video i have seen it looks like he ties a single half hitch to keep the spectra from loosening while the uni is tied.
    Thanks,
    Al

4. rhale

rhale Senior Member

I dont, it does not seem to unwind itself while I tie the uni.

5. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Wanna,

I tie in both. I tie a series of half hitches, alternating them so they are stronger, and then finish the knot with the Uni. I do this not so much for added strength, but it makes a nice "ramp" up to the melted end of the mono.

6. Thanks for the help. This seems like an awesome knot. I have tied a few and and pulled on them and I can't get them to budge.

7. Gozz

Gozz Senior Member

I've been tying a bimini twist then a Page Ranking knot at the end of it.
    Is this what you guys do or do you just use a single line all the way to the leader.
    I use 80 pnd braid.

8. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

dont think its necessary to tie a bimini , the page ranking knot self its very strong.

I agree even more strongly, I wouldn't tie the Bimini. Each knot has about the same strength for the same reason--the radius of the first turn is long.

Even with good quality knots, two knots means more chance for failure.

9. txcards

txcards Senior Member

I can't see how to tie a uni to finish the knot. Since it isn't looped, you cannot pull the uni down the line using the end opposite the tag, pulling the tag only cinches the knot, then it cannot be moved?

Does anyone do anything other than tie the half hitches to finish the knot? I have had the half hitches come undone after a night of casting... Help!

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

greg - finish it with a pseudo nail knot. if you want to stop by after you get in on saturday i'll show you. someone may have the video. its really easy and much cleaner than the half hitches.

11. txcards

txcards Senior Member

Thanks fellas, (Bret and Jason)

I went to Glenn's intro to popping and looked up the video jason posted. After a few times it is really easier to tie than the hitches and much faster. The end result is much cleaner as well. I'll my throwing shibukis a mile on my smith 80p/35. Lets hope the barracudas aren't on the receiving end!

12. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

does everyone use a bobbin ?Is it a must or just makes it easier?

13. txcards

txcards Senior Member

I think it is a must, the chinese finger cuff principle only makes sense if everthing grips and is snug. I think you could possible do it without, but would take an hour instead of 2 mins and likely be sloppy. The bobbins are like 30 bucks, well worth it

14. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

the "same" knot without a bobbin is a mid-knot. its a good knot as well, slightly different but the principle is the same. but for the actual P.R. knot then yes you need a bobbin (if thats not true then someone please show us :))

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah mine was like $8 all together. the $30+ bobbins have convenient places to put the braid and a few other niceties. not necessary but its a 'nice to have'.

i glued mine just like the half hitches. held just as well so far

16. txcards

txcards Senior Member

I gorilla glued mine just to make sure, but don't think it will slip as I pulled hard on it. I have no reservations about the PR, I don't think it slips, I just worried about wearing out the connection with a frayed knot. The tuna in my avatar was caught on a frayed PR as rtran can attest. That was at almost 25 lbs drag. Btw I'm 5'10" and about 220 so it isn't a small fish

17. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Although I haven't yet started using a P.R. knot, I have now used the Mid Knot extensively. I agree with BretABaker that the two are essentially the same strength. I have load tested about 40 Mid Knots and once they are cinched down, they never slip. In my testing, the Mono/Fluoro always breaks first, at its actual breaking strength.

Differences:
    -P.R. seems a little easier to get right at first but with practice, Mid Knot always pulls tight.

-P.R. knot is 2"-4" depending on who ties it. Mid Knot is about 1". (I tie 15-20 wraps up and 15-20 wraps back depending on Mono vs Fluoro and type of Spectra.)

Overhand vs Uni
    -The Uni looks better as a finished product. But I can always make the Uni slide on the Mono with 6-10 pounds of force. I don't think the sliding is a huge issue because there is no load at that end of the knot. It's just something to pay attention to in case it moves.

-The Overhand knots don't slide on the Mono because they interlock with each other.

-By continuing Overhand knots off the Mono, down the Main line, you give some chafing protection to the Main line from the cut end of the Mono. (Note: BHP Tackle sells a Jinkai Mono cutter that makes a burr-less cut. It pained me to buy one but after using it, it's well worth the money, beautifully cutting the mono. Keep an eye on it, don't let anyone use it to cut wire. ;))

-When you tie a Uni on the Mono, there is a short tag between the Main line and the end of the Mono (length equal to the length of the Uni). This short tag can catch on guides. Murphy's Law says it will catch just as you bring your biggest fish ever beside the boat.

-It seems to me the best approach is Overhand knots on the Mono, down the Main line, terminated in a glued Uni (on the Main line) so that it doesn't fray loose.

18. pqd

pqd Member

Where do you get the aluminum bobbin tool? This knot looks super strong!

19. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Where do you get the aluminum bobbin tool? This knot looks super strong!

Try our sponsors. Saltywater tackle and jignpop

d-a