360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finish an fg knot with 5 or 6 half hitches, looping the line through the last 2 half hitches twice.
Is this a lesser finish, from a knot strenght/fail point of view to finishing with a rizzuto finish?
Does anyone else do this or finish an fg any other way but a rizzuto?

· Registered
26 Posts
There is a wide variety of finishing methods which seem to be personal prefernces. The most critical portion of the knot strength is the FG portion (the wraps). That 'chinese fingertrap' portion must be cinched down super tight to actually bite into the leader material. After that, the finishing is more for building a transiton point for when the knot hits a guide. I like the rizutto because it builds a small cone-like ramp for the knot. Knock on wood - no FG failures so far.

For me, I tie the FG wraps, place a single half hitch (mostly as a temporary holder), then do the Rizzuto whip finish. The key is to tighten the main line braid to leader portion first; before tightening the Rizzuto. Recently, I've started doing a partial cinch after the FG wraps and my half hitch. After that initial cinch, I complete the rizutto. Now when I do my final cinching process, I see more if not all the braid wraps slightly shift color indicating the knot is fully locking in.

· Registered
122 Posts
Personally,, after 10~12 sets of coil/wraps, i do around 10 half hitches around braid and leader, then another 10 half hitches around just the braid lines.

If the half hitches are loose, the half hitches themselves will slide down the leader slightly. Make sure not only the coils are tight, but you really tighten the half hitches as well.

Rizzuto is simpler and easier to do, most likely just as strong. i just like the more streamlined knot the half hitches give me

Whatever works for you. BTW, this tool is a game changer.
Hand Finger Gesture Stonemason's hammer Tool

· Just a guy who likes to fish
3,206 Posts
Half hitches more streamlined? I find them to be more bulky than the rizzuto. I go straight to the rizzuto with no half hitches as the rizzuto will cinch down on to your FG wraps whereas putting a half hitch will block it from doing so.

· Just a guy who likes to fish
3,206 Posts
When I started making my sebile knot (similar to FG) I used to finish it with half hitches. I found the half hitches bulkier and not as smooth as the rizzuto. Also, when you just finish with a rizzuto it snugs up against your FG throws to create counter tension, no half hitches needed.

· Registered
3 Posts
Rizzuto knot doesn't makes you FG knot tighter but it will help the line/knot going through the guides when reeling in. If your leader is longer than 5 or 6 feet and you need to reel line into your reel, burning the end of the mono to create a "mushroom" head doesn't makes sense because it will bump into the guides all the time you reel line in. It will absolutely improve the straight of the knot but make the knot going through the guides not easy. AkaCaster had a great explanation about how FG knot should be made and what's the purpose of the Rizzuto ending.

· Registered
122 Posts
Tuna casting, usually the leader is only a foot or two in length so the burning of the leader isnt an issue for me. I do it for insurance. Ill take every advantage i can get. I also do a rizutto at the end of the half hitches to tuck in the tag end of the PE. For asthetics mostly. To each there own but ive never had a failed knot. PE snaps first.

· Registered
12 Posts
After doing the FG I do two half hitches around both lines, cinch it all super tight, and then do a 5x reverse uni/rizzuto. Keeps the tag end nice and flush as everyone above has described. I do a lot of top shots, so it is a must for making it through the guides smoothly.

· Registered
73 Posts
I do my FG with 25 wraps, make 1 half hitch over the main line and leader then pull the line tight with line tensioners(this part everyone forgets), 3 alternating half hitches over the main line and leader with the last one making 2 passes of the line then pull tight again with line tensioners , clip the tag end of the leader then make 5 more alternating half hitches over the main liner with 2 passes of the line on the last one...I fish long leaders and have never had any issues.

· Registered
122 Posts
I do my FG with 25 wraps, make 1 half hitch over the main line and leader then pull the line tight with line tensioners(this part everyone forgets), 3 alternating half hitches over the main line and leader with the last one making 2 passes of the line then pull tight again with line tensioners , clip the tag end of the leader then make 5 more alternating half hitches over the main liner with 2 passes of the line on the last one...I fish long leaders and have never had any issues.
Similar to what i do except i do an additional 5~6 half hitches .

· Registered
18 Posts
20 wraps, 6 half hitches, 4 turn rizzuto, small dab of glue on rizzuto.
I only use the FG on my spinning gear as I’ve been switching over to wind-on leaders for conventional reels, but I am considering using wind-on’s for spinning as well. I keep making them in my spare time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts