Finished My OTI Popping Rod - Pics

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by red34, Nov 14, 2008.

1. red34

red34 Guest

Finally finished my OTI Popping rod. This is the 1st rod that I’ve built in several years and there was a little bit of a learning curve. There were several firsts in this build, including 1st try at Marbling, split grip, 2 piece, spinning rod, etc…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I actually made a mistake in the marbling here but I think it worked out in my favor. Hard to see in pics, but I put blue into the epoxy before it had a chance to set-up at all, which made it far too fluid to "marble." When I brushed this it actually laid down a deep blue swirl into the base coat, then threw on the silver and last touch of blue when it had set up about 20 min. Kind of a mulit level effect.

[​IMG]

I definately underestimated how much the base color would run over my writing and Logo. It's definately something I've learned for the next set of rods. I'll lay down the marble, write over it and THEN lay the last coat of epoxy.

[​IMG]

Really bad here!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Hey red, where are some good resources to start reading up on how to wrap/build your own rods? I'm a newbie with rod building.

3. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Sweet, I'll start there, thanks!

4. red34

red34 Guest

NICE Red , love that marbling any chance to teach how to ??

Definately. I honestly just read a little on what products to use and then watched a video on Mudhole's website and jumped right in on a $200 build. Probably not the smartest palce to learn, but what the hell right???

Hey red, where are some good resources to start reading up on how to wrap/build your own rods? I'm a newbie with rod building.

Watch the video series on Mudhole's website, adapt to what you are building and there you go. I bought a book by Doc Ski, but haven't opened it in years. His DVD would've probably been more useful to me, as I am a visual learner. Plus he LOVES thread art and I really don't.

Link:
    Rod Building 101

Definately watch the videos done by Kevin Brotz

Also, ask the dealer (Mudhole etc...) if all the stuff you're buying is going to work together. They replaced about 1/2 the stuff I had planned on buying due to their recommendations. These guys build rods for a living!! Plus, he was very familiar with the type of build I was doing and what performance I was expecting out of the rod.

5. red34

red34 Guest

i,ve learned a bit by putting my hands on blanks , reading a lot in forums search as 2cool & mudhole has some pretty productive videos.

To add to this...the only "tool" I used in this entire build was a drying motor set. Razor blade, 1 spool of thread, 4oz Flex Coat, U40 rod bond, and some brushes, cups, tooth picks etc... Heck, I built the handle assemply and wrapped the guides using a carved up cardboard box and a book (for the thread) in my hotel room on a business trip!

6. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Looks very good from here.

7. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Nice Red all you need to do now is send it this way and I will sea trial it for you and let you know how great of a job you did.

8. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

No really it looks like you did a fantastic job.

9. red34

red34 Guest

No really it looks like you did a fantastic job.

I appreciate all the complements fellas.

10. red34

red34 Guest

The whole thing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

That rod is beautiful!
    Your "messup" is probably the most awesome finish I've ever seen.
    wanna do mine?
    -Brian

12. njnicka

njnicka Senior Member

Red,,
    BEAUTIFUL... that is a HOTT ROd !!!! get her bent!!

13. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

14. Frogfish

Frogfish Senior Member

Nice! Where did you buy the blank?

15. red34

red34 Guest

Nice! Where did you buy the blank?

from Minnow

16. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

Look great!

17. chf1949

chf1949 Senior Member

If I were to ever build a rod I would hope to 'screw up' as good as you!! Real nice rod you got there!!

18. Armbreaker Custom Rods

Armbreaker Custom Rods Site Sponsor

Very nice and you will only get better as you learn and see!