Finger Protection

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by NEMO, Oct 29, 2008.

1. NEMO

NEMO Member

After long periods of topwater fishing poppers on my stella 20000 my fingers get very raw from the braid, I have not found any gloves which works for me, do you guys ever have this problem or have any suggestions. Thanks

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

best gloves i found for casting are some el cheapos from wal mart. raquet ball glove. has very thin leather on palm side with light material for the rest of the glove. 10 bucks and the most comfortable for casting.

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

I have the zenaq gloves and there the best I have found

d-a

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

the zenaqs are nice gloves. the key to good casting gloves is that the material not be bulky. then the line will have less resistance as it comes off your finger, ensuring a good launch. my jigging gloves have thicker palms. i only use one glove when i cast though.

5. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

I have a real problem with using gloves for casting. I usually cast til my finger gets raw then I just tape it up with cheap sports tape from Academy.

6. NEMO

NEMO Member

Where can I look for the Zenag gloves

7. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

anglers-proshop.com

8. mcgolfer

mcgolfer Guest

just wrap the tip of your forefinger with coban aka vet wrap. why wear a glove when all you need to protect is up to the first joint in your forefinger. maybe a glove that fits over your first 2 fingers like an archery glove might work and then you could just cut off the second finger on the glove.....rick

9. Aggie82Josh

Aggie82Josh Senior Member

I just wrap the tip of my index finger with athletic tape. It usually last a couple hours of casting. then just rewrap when it comes off

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ive got the smith gloves and like them. just know that the fish smell will never come out of the gloves before you buy them.

i've used tape as well which works. the reason i got gloves was that when jigging with a rubber handle all day your palm will get a bit raw.

11. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

i have the shimano casting clove which only covers the index finger. i dont like wearing gloves so its a nice compromise.

12. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Someone told me to use Under Armor gloves a while back. I got some at cabellas, they we camo but work great. Braid doesnt seem to be able to cut through the material. They are also super thin and very easy to tie a knot with...

13. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

under armour used to make a live release glove. I dont see them on thier site anymore. very thin material, that was very strong and kept the line chaffing to a minimum. I shoulda bought a few more pairs.. :(

14. Cudakilla

Cudakilla Senior Member

ive got the smith gloves and like them. just know that the fish smell will never come out of the gloves before you buy them.

i've used tape as well which works. the reason i got gloves was that when jigging with a rubber handle all day your palm will get a bit raw.

Bret,
    I have these new. Do you find yours expanding over time? Just wondering because new, the M is very, very fitting while the L is comfortable. I have both sizes but just wondering which size I should keep.

15. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Used a pair of Fisherman gloves for a few years now. Love 'em but they're not super thin. Very comfortable and durable though.

16. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

After long periods of topwater fishing poppers on my stella 20000 my fingers get very raw from the braid, I have not found any gloves which works for me, do you guys ever have this problem or have any suggestions. Thanks

Why not put a 20' topshot of 50 pound leader? You'll get a little bit of give and save your finger and also have a leader for handling when you're landing the fish.

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Why not put a 20' topshot of 50 pound leader? You'll get a little bit of give and save your finger and also have a leader for handling when you're landing the fish.

AMEN. I leave at least 15' of mono top shot. Don't need any stinking hot glove. God gave you that index finger to cast and pull the trigger. All gloves do is make your hands sweat and heat up your beer.:D

18. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

reduces casting distance. i prefer a short leader. some like it long. i dont like the knots having to pass through the guides, regardless of the knot.

19. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

How about hollow core and loop to loop. no knots.

20. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

How about hollow core and loop to loop. no knots.

Good point.

Straight braid with a bum finger will not cast as far at the end of a night
    without further damage to finger as a stelth knot to mono on a healthy
    didgit (Uncle Russ for finger).

I use all, gloves sometimes, tape sometimes, mono topshot some times.
    and will change during a long fishing situation.

In the only shallow water turny (4-5 day trip) that I still fish "J P Griffon" for spinners
    I'll use a glove or wrap to cover and protect the first cushion on the inside
    of the middle finger when using a spinner and top water and also use an
    elbow wrap for my other arm to keep the tendens from blowing up on
    top water with casting reel.

all suggestions are subjective and well taken.

peace man...
    K2