Finally I got swordfish on jigs !!!

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Sep 21, 2007.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I fished Dips with Capt. Dom of the Coastal Charters, out of Rhode Island 09-20/21 and finally caught my first swordfish, not one, but two on jigs.
    As many members know, I have been trying to catch my first swordfish on jigs without success until today.
    When I had my first swordfish on my sardube jig, I had a weird feeling that the fish didn't resist at all though it seemed pretty heavy fish. I could bring the fish up to the surface within a minutes as the fish didn't take any drag, but I was astounded to see a decent swordfish came up. I expected to catch the swordfish least as I fished only 75 ft deep as I dropped a nice tuna just before I hooked up with the swordfish. As soon as Capt. Dom sticked a gaff on the head, it went wild. It was about 58 inches, not a big, but a decent size. Capt Dom was excited as much as I was. I am always fortunate whenever I fished with Capt. Dom. My first bluefin tuna on a popper was caught with Capt Dom also. Capt. Dom took some pictures as I didn't bring camera with me.

Fishing was slow until 5:00 am when we had some marks on the screen.
    After resting half hour I resumed jigging. Within 10 minutes after I started jigging, I had a hit. I knew it was another swordfish as it fought exactly same as the other swordfish fought. It took only 30 seconds to bring the fish to the surface as the fish didn't resist and I fished only 70 ft down. It looks to make 54 inche minimum size, but we decided to release the fish as we had two swird on the boat already.
    I asked Dom to take picutes while I held the fish on the surface.
    It stayed calm for a while and the fish decided to make a wild run under the boat as if it realized what was going on. When I brought the fish back to the surface after fighing for a while, the lines were tailwrapped and hooks was on the body ( initially the hook was in the mouth).
    In my wildest dream I never expect I could catch two swordfish on jigs on a single trip as I didnt' catch any swordfish on jigs while I caught over 1000 tuna on jigs.

2. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Very BIG Congratulations Kil.

3. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Congratulations Kil on landing not one, but two swordies on the same trip!

You HAVE to hurry Capt Dom up and get the pictures posted!!!

Why do you think neither of the 2 fish fought or pulled drag?

Way to go!

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Here are pictures.
    It looked they acted stunned. I reeled in to the surface before they figure out what is going on . :) Even some tuna act like that when hooked on jigs.
    I landed a tuna over 100 lbs within a minutes. :)

the one kept
    [​IMG]

the one released
    [​IMG]

5. jaredchasteen

jaredchasteen Senior Member

dude that is freakin awesome, how deep, what jigs, were they using a swordlight on board. any lights on the setup or just plain.

congrats on getting one on jig, ther eis a very select group of people in the world who have done it, i bet you can count them on your hand. Dont forget to report your catch as it counts towards our quota.
    Report Your Catch 1-800-894-5528.

6. bighead

bighead Senior Member

That's very exciting news Kil. I'm sure more jiggers will try for a sword after hearing of your sucess. Can you tell how you were jigging? Fast and cranking up, slow or ???

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I was jigging in 70 -80 ft as the screen showed some tuna marks in the depth.
    I tried both slow jigging and Japanese style jigging, and both swordfish took jigs while jigging slow. We had an underwater light and it might attracted swordfish to come up.

On the first swordfish, I used 7' St Croix rod with Saltiga 50 filled with 80 lbs braided line, and 8' Japanese Cosmotech rod with Accurate 665 two-speed filled with 80 lbs braided line for the second swordfish. The first swordfish hit Metallic Sardine jig and the second one took Seven Sea's Hooker jig.

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's something that might not ever happen again. Two in one night on jigs. Awesome. What size hook were you using?. Single or double? Dancing style hooks on jig?

I see an outboard motor on the boat. What size boat?

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's something that might not ever happen again. Two in one night on jigs. Awesome. What size hook were you using?. Single or double? Dancing style hooks on jig?

I see an outboard motor on the boat. What size boat?
    I used Owner 4/0 treble hooks. When I intend to release fish, I use single hooks.

The boat is 31' Contender with twin engine. It took about 3 hours for 110 mile run to the canyon.

10. JFLORES

JFLORES Senior Member

I fished Dips with Capt. Dom of the Coastal Charters, out of Rhode Island 09-20/21 and finally caught my first swordfish, not one, but two on jigs.
    As many members know, I have been trying to catch my first swordfish on jigs without success until today.
    When I had my first swordfish on my sardube jig, I had a weird feeling that the fish didn't resist at all though it seemed pretty heavy fish. I could bring the fish up to the surface within a minutes as the fish didn't take any drag, but I was astounded to see a decent swordfish came up. I expected to catch the swordfish least as I fished only 75 ft deep as I dropped a nice tuna just before I hooked up with the swordfish. As soon as Capt. Dom sticked a gaff on the head, it went wild. It was about 58 inches, not a big, but a decent size. Capt Dom was excited as much as I was. I am always fortunate whenever I fished with Capt. Dom. My first bluefin tuna on a popper was caught with Capt Dom also. Capt. Dom took some pictures as I didn't bring camera with me.

Fishing was slow until 5:00 am when we had some marks on the screen.
    After resting half hour I resumed jigging. Within 10 minutes after I started jigging, I had a hit. I knew it was another swordfish as it fought exactly same as the other swordfish fought. It took only 30 seconds to bring the fish to the surface as the fish didn't resist and I fished only 70 ft down. It looks to make 54 inche minimum size, but we decided to release the fish as we had two swird on the boat already.
    I asked Dom to take picutes while I held the fish on the surface.
    It stayed calm for a while and the fish decided to make a wild run under the boat as if it realized what was going on. When I brought the fish back to the surface after fighing for a while, the lines were tailwrapped and hooks was on the body ( initially the hook was in the mouth).
    In my wildest dream I never expect I could catch two swordfish on jigs on a single trip as I didnt' catch any swordfish on jigs while I caught over 1000 tuna on jigs.

Hi Kill,

Congratulations, two swords on jigs thats awesome. I caught my first sword
    4 years ago and it fought the same way it came right to the surface.

11. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Wow!!! that is spectacular!!!!! Congratulations!! Two swords in one night on jigs.....Out-freaking standing!!!!

12. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

Never thought I'd see a broadbill caught on a jig. I didn't know those squid eaters went for medal. Might have to give it try. You might have just invented a new way to sword fish. "Soak and Jig".

Send a few lines out soaking squid and jig while you wait.

13. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

dude that is freakin awesome, how deep, what jigs, were they using a swordlight on board. any lights on the setup or just plain.
    We had a underwater light which definitely attracted swordfish as we had two swordfish on bait in addition to mine. I caught them in 70-8o ft down and two other swordfish on bait using balloon were caught only in 50 ft down.
    The jig I used were 200 g Matallic Sardine and 200 g Hooker.

[​IMG]

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Never thought I'd see a broadbill caught on a jig. I didn't know those squid eaters went for medal. Might have to give it try. You might have just invented a new way to sword fish. "Soak and Jig".

Send a few lines out soaking squid and jig while you wait.
    It is not common you catch swordfish on jigs, but there have been reports of catching them on jigs. I saw full of small squid and small long fish which looked like halfbeak inside the stomach of them.

15. txseadog

txseadog Moderator

Congrats Kil on breaking new ground again.

16. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Congradulations!!! Kil, you are the innovator! Now what's
    next? Marlin on jig?

17. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

Great fish Kil !!
    Catching any fish while jigging is a blast....to see a swordfish on the line for the first time must have been the best feeling in the world!

Congrats!!

18. reelwinder1

reelwinder1 Junior member

that is awesome ... i have been talking to a buddy of mine about doing some sword fish jigging in the keys .. he wasn't too shot up about the idea ... i sent him your pictures .... very nice

19. Deep_Sea_Gull

Deep_Sea_Gull Lifetime Supporting Members