360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had previously posted that I may be looking to sell a couple of Daiwa Saltists loaded with power pro. I am looking to possibly pick up a Fin Nor Star Drag Conventional, and was wondering if anyone was using them. I’d like to get one of the bigger sizes with the fast retrieve for deeper jigging.

·
723 Posts
I had previously posted that I may be looking to sell a couple of Daiwa Saltists loaded with power pro. I am looking to possibly pick up a Fin Nor Star Drag Conventional, and was wondering if anyone was using them. I’d like to get one of the bigger sizes with the fast retrieve for deeper jigging.

Hampton,

I have the OFC20L and use it for Groundfish. Good reel for that application. Has a pretty nice drag system. Stay away from the high gear ratio for deep jigging. Go with the 4.3:1 model. No power out of the high gear ratios.

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I am better of with the Saltist 30 4.9 that I have then.....though I'd like to have the 40 or 50 instead.

I need more line capacity for 500ft drops, but thought I might like the faster retrieve for those ocassions when a fish does not hit my jig and I want to re-set.

Have you tried the faster retrieve for tuna/speed jigging?

·
952 Posts
We were catching some big blue fins (150+ lbs) on a FIn Nor conventional last month. It was the strongest reel but it got the job done.

·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like my set of saltist 30s (4.9) but was thinking I wanted some more line capacity, not quite so worried about the drag as the saltist seems sufficient for my use.

Thought I'd like faster speed, but not so sure now.

·
723 Posts
I like my set of saltist 30s (4.9) but was thinking I wanted some more line capacity, not quite so worried about the drag as the saltist seems sufficient for my use.

Thought I'd like faster speed, but not so sure now.

I do like the Saltist 30 for shallower water as well. The OFC20 has a lot more line capacity and is good for the deeper drops. The Saltist 40 (4.9) would be a good choice too.

·
780 Posts
That's where a 2 speed can come in handy, like an Avet or the new Saltist. 3:1 for jigging and 6:1 to get your lure back

1 - 7 of 7 Posts