Fin Nor Star Drag Conventional

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by hamptonsurf, Sep 3, 2009.

1. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

I had previously posted that I may be looking to sell a couple of Daiwa Saltists loaded with power pro. I am looking to possibly pick up a Fin Nor Star Drag Conventional, and was wondering if anyone was using them. I’d like to get one of the bigger sizes with the fast retrieve for deeper jigging.

2. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

I had previously posted that I may be looking to sell a couple of Daiwa Saltists loaded with power pro. I am looking to possibly pick up a Fin Nor Star Drag Conventional, and was wondering if anyone was using them. I’d like to get one of the bigger sizes with the fast retrieve for deeper jigging.

Hampton,

I have the OFC20L and use it for Groundfish. Good reel for that application. Has a pretty nice drag system. Stay away from the high gear ratio for deep jigging. Go with the 4.3:1 model. No power out of the high gear ratios.

3. hamptonsurf

Maybe I am better of with the Saltist 30 4.9 that I have then.....though I'd like to have the 40 or 50 instead.

I need more line capacity for 500ft drops, but thought I might like the faster retrieve for those ocassions when a fish does not hit my jig and I want to re-set.

Have you tried the faster retrieve for tuna/speed jigging?

4. egluck

egluck Senior Member

We were catching some big blue fins (150+ lbs) on a FIn Nor conventional last month. It was the strongest reel but it got the job done.

5. hamptonsurf

I like my set of saltist 30s (4.9) but was thinking I wanted some more line capacity, not quite so worried about the drag as the saltist seems sufficient for my use.

Thought I'd like faster speed, but not so sure now.

6. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

I like my set of saltist 30s (4.9) but was thinking I wanted some more line capacity, not quite so worried about the drag as the saltist seems sufficient for my use.

Thought I'd like faster speed, but not so sure now.

I do like the Saltist 30 for shallower water as well. The OFC20 has a lot more line capacity and is good for the deeper drops. The Saltist 40 (4.9) would be a good choice too.

7. day0ne

day0ne Senior Member

That's where a 2 speed can come in handy, like an Avet or the new Saltist. 3:1 for jigging and 6:1 to get your lure back