360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I'm heading on a trip soon to French Polynesia (Bora Bora & Rangiroa), and will be bringing some travel-fishing gear with me (off-course)... Due to the use of multiple airlines, scuba gear & inflatable paddle board and 1 swimshort, I'm a little limited to what I can bring with me.

I'm thinking to bring 3 outfits:

Heavy-ish:
30-40lbs Tsunami Travel kayak rod with Penn Fathom 15 star drag reel.

Medium/L:
Okuma 20-40lbs travel spinning outfit, with Penn battle 3000

Flyrod:
10wt set up. (don't actually know if I will find any Bonefish, but you never know)

Question: I want to do a bit of everything, jigging popping, surface lures. I know its not a jigging rod, buts its what I have. I have some slow pitch jigs and speed jigs, poppers, surface lures etc.
I was thinking to switch out my Penn Fathom 15 for the Fin-nor Primal 12HS lever drag reel.
Not a hell of a lot of reviews about the Fin-Nor reel. From the specs, I would think it would be an improvement, compared to the Fathom 15. Its faster, more line retrieve per turn, more drag, more line, lighter. There are some decent size Dog-tooth Tuna around, plus GT's etc. Will it hold up against any of these brutes?
Does anyone have any experience with this reel? What are your thoughts? Open to any comments, tips, etc
Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey all,

I'm heading on a trip soon to French Polynesia (Bora Bora & Rangiroa), and will be bringing some travel-fishing gear with me (off-course)... Due to the use of multiple airlines, scuba gear & inflatable paddle board and 1 swimshort, I'm a little limited to what I can bring with me.

I'm thinking to bring 3 outfits:

Heavy-ish:
30-40lbs Tsunami Travel kayak rod with Penn Fathom 15 star drag reel.

Medium/L:
Okuma 20-40lbs travel spinning outfit, with Penn battle 3000

Flyrod:
10wt set up. (don't actually know if I will find any Bonefish, but you never know)

Question: I want to do a bit of everything, jigging popping, surface lures. I know its not a jigging rod, buts its what I have. I have some slow pitch jigs and speed jigs, poppers, surface lures etc.
I was thinking to switch out my Penn Fathom 15 for the Fin-nor Primal 12HS lever drag reel.
Not a hell of a lot of reviews about the Fin-Nor reel. From the specs, I would think it would be an improvement, compared to the Fathom 15. Its faster, more line retrieve per turn, more drag, more line, lighter. There are some decent size Dog-tooth Tuna around, plus GT's etc. Will it hold up against any of these brutes?
Does anyone have any experience with this reel? What are your thoughts? Open to any comments, tips, etc
Thanks!
I will let you know I am an avid Penn brand user; I just purchased two of the Fin Nor 12HS spooled them with 50lb count down. Still plenty of line, I felt that I had to match the ability of the 30lb drag. 30lb mono top shot. I am setting these up jigging, chunking and what ever else I feel they will work for. Cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts