360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
335 Posts
Hey guys ,new to the site just came across it yesterday, good stuff !
Capt. Dom would be the man to ask, he has that reel on a 5ft oti rod, sweeeeet!!!

nate

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys ,new to the site just came across it yesterday, good stuff !
Capt. Dom would be the man to ask, he has that reel on a 5ft oti rod, sweeeeet!!!

nate

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for the info, I'll shoot him a pm

G

·
i know dom was a fan last i spoke to him, and hes the one to really reply since hes been using them. its in everyones best interest that some of the 'new' reels perform well. competition will benefit the consumer :)

·
Site Sponsor
1,444 Posts
Hey guys,

Just came off 5 straight days on the water chasing BIG bluefin this past week, sorry I missed this.

I was given the marquesa 20 prototype reel this year to test out on these fish. I married it to an OTI G3 600 gram rod, and loaded it up with OTI 80 pound braid.

The reel has a good, solid feel to it, and the drag is very smooth. The lever system is a bit stiff for my liking, and appears to lose some free spool ability near the higher drag settings. The version I had used a small cap over the shift knob which fell off right away, but I was informed they corrected this on the final version before production. There was a set screw inside which although exposed didnt affect the performance, but sure wasnt a likeable feature. Without the ability to test prolonged use as they needed the test model back before I could get a few more fish on it, I will have to limit my opinion to this.

With the higher drag setting, the high speed makes for cranking diffuclt, an issue any single speed reel is going to have. I prefer 2 speed reels for these bigger bluefin, the small single speeds are best suited to fish under 130 pounds or so if you ask me.

Overall, for the money, I think this should be a good option for any angler looking for a capable jigging reel without breaking the bank.

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply Capt. Dom. My biggest concern with the reel was the binding that might happen since its a lever drag. From what you said it seems to be a valid concern. I guess my next question would be how bad is the binding and at what drag setting? I'm not too concerned about free spool as the reel will only be used for bottom fishing and jigging. Probably should still wait until some reports come in with the production models before I make a decision on it. Thanks for all this info ahead of time, always nice to get a report on the reel before it comes out ;) .

·
1,334 Posts
Thanks for the info Dom! I am debating between the Accurate 600 single speed, this and a JM reel. Building up an OTI 600gr rod for the CC BFT's, and need a reel for it now!

·
Site Sponsor
1,444 Posts
Thanks for the reply Capt. Dom. My biggest concern with the reel was the binding that might happen since its a lever drag. From what you said it seems to be a valid concern. I guess my next question would be how bad is the binding and at what drag setting? I'm not too concerned about free spool as the reel will only be used for bottom fishing and jigging. Probably should still wait until some reports come in with the production models before I make a decision on it. Thanks for all this info ahead of time, always nice to get a report on the reel before it comes out ;) .

The binding started from 23 or so pounds plus on up to the max. The lever became progressively harder to engage, and the free spool suffered IMHO, but not to the extent that it would ruin the reels value and performance at respectable drag settings. I mean lets face it, who is going to really be able to handle more than 25 pounds of drag under a prolonged situation without being able to strap in?

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The binding started from 23 or so pounds plus on up to the max. The lever became progressively harder to engage, and the free spool suffered IMHO, but not to the extent that it would ruin the reels value and performance at respectable drag settings. I mean lets face it, who is going to really be able to handle more than 25 pounds of drag under a prolonged situation without being able to strap in?

The reel would probably fly out of my hands at anything over 25 lbs without being strapped in :eek: . Wouldn't use anything over 25lb and probably use right around 20lb for almost everything. Good news thanks. Last 2 questions, I assume the reel has instant anti-reverse, and does it click like a senator?

·
Site Sponsor
1,444 Posts
The reel would probably fly out of my hands at anything over 25 lbs without being strapped in :eek: . Wouldn't use anything over 25lb and probably use right around 20lb for almost everything. Good news thanks. Last 2 questions, I assume the reel has instant anti-reverse, and does it click like a senator?

Instant anti reverse, does have a slight clicking noise more like an avet than a senator, but not nearly as loud. The balance with the OTI G3 600 gram was okay, but I think with a longer all around jigging stick of say 6' you would be much happier with the feel.

·
361 Posts
What is with the crazy retrieve rates? All the good 40# jiggers are around 90cm, ie; SOM Blue Heaven L50, Ocea Jigger 1500, JM PE4 reel etc.

Hopefully they put out a P version with some lower gearing and a longer handle.

G

·
What is with the crazy retrieve rates? All the good 40# jiggers are around 90cm, ie; SOM Blue Heaven L50, Ocea Jigger 1500, JM PE4 reel etc.

Hopefully they put out a P version with some lower gearing and a longer handle.

I completely agree with you. unfortunately, I wouldn't hold your breath for this to happen. :eek:

·
361 Posts
Who knows, one day someone from fin-nor might read this and do something about it.

Its just a little depressing how far off the mark they are. Surely someone pointed it out during all that testing.

Its like the avet raptor, pity they didn't make a 1sp version of that for jiggers either. Perhaps I'll look at the Accurate BX400N or something.

·
Tuna Club member
879 Posts

You won't get that kind of retrieve from JM PE4. It's closer to 60cm/24" with a practically full spool. And since the spool is so small diameter, line leaves it (and thus gets a lot worse) Very, Very, Quickly.

I used PE5 line on it and tried jigging 200'+ water... it added up to one hell of a lot of cranking in just a few stops. :eek: It would be Much Better served with 6:1 which would put it right around 91cm/36" per crank at full spool.

It seems that most major mfgs realize that something around 40" is just about right for jigging... So I'm not sure why it's so tough for all of these newbies flooding the market from China to just follow suit?!:confused:

Regardless, I'm wary of all of these new look-alike small levers flooding the market. I'm NOT a China hater... It's just that they all seem to have the "bling" to catch fishermen down pat. But they aren't researching the needs of jigging fishermen enough to even get the basic idea line retrieve right. :confused: (or if I'm wrong, why not at least have a couple of retrieve options to see what sells?)

This, in addition to the fact that none have stood the test of time, means that my shrinking USD's will continue to go into Saltigas, Stellas, Ocea Jiggers and Gorillas.

Just sayin...

·
219 Posts
I like the size of the 16, however the higher drag settings are on the size 20 and up ......Still a toss up for me whether I get the 16 or the 20 .....????...Jim

1 - 19 of 19 Posts